The simFlight Network Forums

Showing messages with 3380/32FA no longer seem to work.

SWhite

G'day,

This worked before but it is some time since I used my little app so I don't know when it stopped. The log makes it look like it is sending it to MSFS OK. Everything is running as Admin, and given it used to work... Any ideas?

image.png.5635850bbf80bafa68c67b223a9e5822.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2021 at 2:49 AM, John Dowson said:

The SimConnect_Text API function is broken completely in the latest SDK update, which is what FSUIPC relies on for the message display facilities.
Currently the only way to display messages is using the lua wnd library.

John,

Do you know if Asobo is aware of how the broken SimConnect_Text API function impacts FSUIPC, and if they plan to fix it?

Thx,

Al

5 minutes ago, ark1320 said:

but I think a message to Asobo from the FSUIPC developer would carry a lot more weight than a message from just a typical MSFS user.

unfortunately that is not the case - I'm just another MSFS user to Asobo. I reported this a long time ago - and have heard nothing, as usual.
In fact, previously some basic functions of the SimConnect_Text function were working (sort-of) but it is broken completely since the SU5 update.
I'll check to see if there is anything about this in the Asobo fotums and maybe raise again, but it IS known by Asobo - from the documentation:

SimConnect_Text

The SimConnect_Text function is not currently available for use.

Syntax
N/A

1 hour ago, John Dowson said:

unfortunately that is not the case - I'm just another MSFS user to Asobo. I reported this a long time ago - and have heard nothing, as usual.
In fact, previously some basic functions of the SimConnect_Text function were working (sort-of) but it is broken completely since the SU5 update.
I'll check to see if there is anything about this in the Asobo fotums and maybe raise again, but it IS known by Asobo - from the documentation:

OK John, I understand now. Sigh. I have lots of Lua scripts and just about all of them make use of the FSUIPC text capability. And I'm sure I am not alone in this.

Thanks very much for all your efforts with FSUIPC7!

Al

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2021 at 2:15 PM, John Dowson said:

You could maybe convert the them to use the Wnd library. A demo script attached.

Hi John,

I have been experimenting with the wnd library. One thing I have noticed is each time a window is opened, there is a flicker and the sim loses focus for an instant as the window opens. Is there a way to leave the window open so each time the same script is run you don't have to reopen the window, thus avoiding the flicker which seems to be associated with opening the window?

One thing I tried was using a separate script to open the window (and not close it) and then pass the window handle to the frequently used script using the ipc.set/ipc.get pair,  but have not been able to get that to work. I assume that while "w" is used throughout the wnd library documentation as the window handle, any valid Lua variable name can be used for the handle. So different windows can have different handle names.

Also, I noticed in your FPS_MonitorW example after closing the window you set the window handle w=0. Why?

Thx for any ideas,

Al

9 hours ago, ark1320 said:

One thing I have noticed is each time a window is opened, there is a flicker and the sim loses focus for an instant as the window opens.

Yes, as the newly created window will grab the focus (temporarily I think, but not sure without checking).

Is there a way to leave the window open so each time the same script is run you don't have to reopen the window, thus avoiding the flicker which seems to be associated with opening the window?

No, I'm sorry but this is not possible. You need to redesign your script to keep the window open and update on relevant events.

One thing I tried was using a separate script to open the window (and not close it) and then pass the window handle to the frequently used script using the ipc.set/ipc.get pair,  but have not been able to get that to work. I assume that while "w" is used throughout the wnd library documentation as the window handle, any valid Lua variable name can be used for the handle. So different windows can have different handle names.

According to the documentation, that should be possible, and yes, you can use any variable name - its the value of the variable that matters. Have you tried logging the handle when you create/set it, and again when you retrieve it, to make sure it has the same value?
I haven't tried updating a wnd window created in one lua thread from another - if you can't get this to work then let me know and I will take a look.

Also, I noticed in your FPS_MonitorW example after closing the window you set the window handle w=0. Why?

Just to clear the reference. It doesn't make much difference in that script, as the event is cancelled anyway so the script will exit and the thread will be killed, but its generally good practice to clear the reference to any handle once the handle has been closed.

John