The simFlight Network Forums

P3D Lua imbeded in XML gauges

I am familiar with FSUIPC Lua programming and your excellent PlugIns library. However, I am not familiar with where the Lua compiler and execute does its buiness and how FSUIPC Lua and the P3D Lua may interact, if at all.

Just found out that with P3D, there has been and update where XML code for gauges can execute Lua Functions. These functions are defined by P3D (i am running P3DV3 for testing and P3DV4 for flying. Are functions universal? Could I execute a FSUIPC function (e.g. ipc.xxxxx) in an XML and would Lua recognize it assuming P3D uses the universal Lua package?

Thanks

3 hours ago, DrDave- said:

I am not familiar with where the Lua compiler and execute does its buiness and how FSUIPC Lua and the P3D Lua may interact, if at all.

They don't. Entirely separate interpreters are used.

3 hours ago, DrDave- said:

Are functions universal? Could I execute a FSUIPC function (e.g. ipc.xxxxx) in an XML and would Lua recognize it assuming P3D uses the universal Lua package?

No. ALL of the functions documented in the FSUIPC Lua library document are local to FSUIPC (and mostly WideClient). They are additions to the standard libraries documented in the Lua.org documentation. I expect the P3D implementation includes some or all of those standard libraries.

Pete