The simFlight Network Forums

Runxx="a program link".lnk

mtjoeng

18 minutes ago, mtjoeng said:

being able to run a link would be apreaciated

Run xx="a program link".lnk

Why not just
   Run xx="a program link"
Doesn't that work? I must admit I haven't tried it - the string is just passed to Windows to execute/run in a separate process.
I will take a look when I get time (possibly next week) and can maybe convert the link to the destination, if needed.

I will report back once I've taken a look.

John

4 hours ago, John Dowson said:

Why not just
   Run xx="a program link"
Doesn't that work?

[Programs]
Run1=CLOSE,k:\FSUIPC7\linda.exe
Run2=CLOSE,i:\TEKST\EFBx4Toolbar\00_Start_EFB_Server.bat
Run3="c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Games\VoiceAttack.lnk"
Run4=CLOSE,"k:\Little Navmap\littlenavmap.exe"

Run3 does not do anything

[Programs]
Run1=CLOSE,k:\FSUIPC7\linda.exe
Run2=CLOSE,i:\TEKST\EFBx4Toolbar\00_Start_EFB_Server.bat
Run3="k:\Program Files\VoiceAttack\VoiceAttack.exe"
Run4=CLOSE,"k:\Little Navmap\littlenavmap.exe"

Run3 Voiceattack does run.

Weird what.

9 hours ago, mtjoeng said:

Run3="c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Games\VoiceAttack.lnk"

I think the issue is that you are using a .lnk, which is a shortcut file. Try creating a proper symbolic link instead, which is handled by the file system. See https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

I find the following utility very useful for creating symbolic links and folder junctions (via Windows Explorer): https://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html

I could look into interpreting shortcut (.lnk) files, but this will be low priority so I am currently not sure when i will have time to look into this (but I will add to my list).
But for now, try symbolic links instead.

John 

On 10/28/2021 at 11:30 AM, John Dowson said:

I think the issue is that you are using a .lnk, which is a shortcut file. Try creating a proper symbolic link instead, which is handled by the file system. See https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

I find the following utility very useful for creating symbolic links and folder junctions (via Windows Explorer): https://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html

I could look into interpreting shortcut (.lnk) files, but this will be low priority so I am currently not sure when i will have time to look into this (but I will add to my list).
But for now, try symbolic links instead.

John 

I use standard MKLink for my directory junction
Can't see how this would help here?

Run2=KILL,"k:\Program Files\VoiceAttack\VoiceAttack.exe" -nofocus -profile "MSFS 2020 VR"
does not work, nothing happens
neither
Run2=KILL,"k:\Program Files\VoiceAttack\VoiceAttack.exe"

a BAT file starts but does not get killed
with a xx.lnk on could enter a default directory for starting the linked program, perhaps that works

17 hours ago, mtjoeng said:

I use standard MKLink for my directory junction
Can't see how this would help here?

If you are already using links, as opposed to shortcuts, then no, it won't help. I would have expected Windows to handle the link, but sounds like its not doing that. I'll take a look sometime next week.

Run2=KILL,"k:\Program Files\VoiceAttack\VoiceAttack.exe" -nofocus -profile "MSFS 2020 VR"
does not work, nothing happens

Maybe try
   Run2=KILL,"k:\Program Files\VoiceAttack\VoiceAttack.exe -nofocus -profile /"MSFS 2020 VR/""

neither
Run2=KILL,"k:\Program Files\VoiceAttack\VoiceAttack.exe"

Ok, then the command with arguments also isn't going to work....What does the FSUIPC7.log file show for this?

a BAT file starts but does not get killed

If the BAT file is starting a separate (detached) thread, then FSUIPC will have no knowledge of that thread and won't able to kill it.

John

Tried 'MSFS Addons Linker' is an MSFS mklink utility with an interface and a menu 'add programs to start with MSFS', here added Voiceattack does load and gets killed? It appears possible.

1 hour ago, John Dowson said:

What does the FSUIPC7.log file show for this?

nothing, no voiceattack whatsoever, just

45000 LUA.1: beginning "k:\FSUIPC7\ipcReady.lua"

LINDA prog not in RUN

55 minutes ago, mtjoeng said:

Tried 'MSFS Addons Linker' is an MSFS mklink utility with an interface and a menu 'add programs to start with MSFS',

Yes, but isn't that to manage the Community folder / MSFS add-ons?

56 minutes ago, mtjoeng said:

here added Voiceattack does load and gets killed?

Loaded (and killed) by what? Not sure what you are asking here...

57 minutes ago, mtjoeng said:

nothing, no voiceattack whatsoever, just

Then sounds like something else is going on.

I'll take a look at these issues sometime next week and report back afterwards.

John

2 hours ago, John Dowson said:

Yes, but isn't that to manage the Community folder / MSFS add-ons?

Loaded (and killed) by what? Not sure what you are asking here...

Then sounds like something else is going on.

I'll take a look at these issues sometime next week and report back afterwards.

John

just mentioning it is possible,
MSFS Addons Linker is - also - a start shell with a button 'run MSFS' and after MSFS quit, one returns to MSFS Addons Linker, and it kills the batch added programs

@mtjoeng Took a look and seems there was an issue determining the execution folder when passing command-line parameters. Could you try the attached version please. Should work with symbolic links and bat files, although I haven't tried the latter:

FSUIPC7.exe

John

Edited by John Dowson
exe updated

5 hours ago, John Dowson said:

Should work with symbolic links and bat files, although I haven't tried the latter:

runs bat, exe, but not lnk and not VoiceAttack.exe, which seems peculiar to VoiceAttack.exe

Run1=kill,i:\TEKST\EFBx4Toolbar\00_Start_EFB_Server.bat
Run2=kill,"k:\Little Navmap\littlenavmap.exe"
Run3=kill,"k:\Program Files\VoiceAttack\VoiceAttack.exe"

On 11/2/2021 at 8:57 PM, mtjoeng said:

runs bat, exe, but not lnk and not VoiceAttack.exe, which seems peculiar to VoiceAttack.exe

Links work just fine here. What are the properties of the link? This is what one of mine looks like (created with the link shell extension):

1538484914_Image2.png.e68cf811ce3f00acbcc33592dd1b3eff.png125576210_Image1.png.52a63c8754c0a0b2212b64da82bd2b7b.png

VoiceAttack also starts ok via the [Programs] section for me. However, creating a link to the VoiceAttack.exe doesn't seem to work for some reason. It runs ok according to the FSUIPC7.log file but no window is displayed and no process running when I check in Task Manager.

Maybe you can show me your FSUIPC7.log file - there should be errors reporting why the run failed.

On 11/2/2021 at 8:57 PM, mtjoeng said:

Run3=kill,"k:\Program Files\VoiceAttack\VoiceAttack.exe"

If the run error indicates a permissions issue, try installing VoiceAttack outside of your Program Files folder, which has some windows restrictions which can cause issues.

John

Edited by John Dowson
Additional image added