The simFlight Network Forums

How to change radar scale for fighter ac

Hello,

I am flying Metal2Mesh M2000 on P3Dv4.5. I would like to be able to change the radar scale of my radar. Ranges are preset to 10/20/40/60.

A button UP and a button DOWN would be lovely on my X55 controller throttle.

Which command can do the job in the list of existing ones? If not, how to proceed?

Thanks in advance

Bruno

Hi Bruno,

16 hours ago, Braudoux said:

Which command can do the job in the list of existing ones? If not, how to proceed?

Not sure. You can try:
1. Activating logging for events and open the logging console. Change the ranges in the UI and see what events are logged. If so, try using them.

2. If that doesn't work, try listing lvars (using the provided control or the provided log lvars.lua script) to see if any look applicable. Again, try changing the range in the UI to see if any applicable-looking lvars change when you change the range. If so, you can try assigning to those lvars (using a macro or lua script).

3. If there are no events/controls or lvars, you can try with mouse macros.

John

Thanks John for your reply.

Unfortunately I do not understand anything in logging console, LVARS and LUA scripts and stuffs like that...

Unless there is a friendly for me to understand, I will forget. But really this would be helpful because it is tough to change the scale during a merge...

Bruno

1 hour ago, John Dowson said:

I'm sorry, but I cannot help you any further if you are not even willing to try even very simple recommendations....

Hello John,

Why do you take it bad... I am willing to try but only if I understand what it is about... I spent an hour looking for "logging console" and "listing lvar" on Google and could not find anything match... 

Is your last statement {it is not difficult - just go to the logging tab and select the appropriate options.} referring to FSUIPC software? 

Regards

8 minutes ago, Braudoux said:

Why do you take it bad... I am willing to try but only if I understand what it is about...

You didn't say you had tried anything, just that you didn't understand anything...

9 minutes ago, Braudoux said:

I am willing to try but only if I understand what it is about... I spent an hour looking for "logging console"

Just look at the logging tab in FSUIPC. Check the box next to Events (non-axis controls). That will log your events. If you check Send to console window, that will open the (logging) console window. Please consult the provided FSUIPC User manual, at least initially, not google.

11 minutes ago, Braudoux said:

Is your last statement {it is not difficult - just go to the logging tab and select the appropriate options.} referring to FSUIPC software? 

Yes of course, what else would I be referring to? This is support for FSUIPC after all....

Skip the lvars if you are not familiar with them (although there is plenty of provided documentation on how to use these). Mouse macros are also explained in the FSUIPC documentation.

John

Hello John,

I could find the console. I did what you suggested, monitoring the events. I was able to see many events related to flaps, views, NAV2 set etc... but no event is logged when I modify the radar range scale.

Therefore, I decided to go for Mouse Macro.

I have proceeded as explained in the Manual but face the following issues against the expected result:

• I created the macro with name "RDR RANGE UP". The TAB action to control the macro is okay. Then I click OK. The macro with the name is not available in the list of "Control sent when button is pressed"
  • There is no file created with .MCRO anywhere in my computer (search *.mcro)

So yes, the process of creating a mouse macro is easy, but I am stuck in the middle of the process. Did I forget anything? Was I wrong somewhere?

I have attached my .log and .ini files...

Regards

Bruno

FSUIPC5.ini FSUIPC5.log

1 hour ago, Braudoux said:

I created the macro with name "RDR RANGE UP". The TAB action to control the macro is okay. Then I click OK. The macro with the name is not available in the list of "Control sent when button is pressed"

Is that the macro file name or the macro name? Remember, a macro file can have many macros.

There is no file created with .MCRO anywhere in my computer (search *.mcro)

You do not need to search your computer, just look in your FSUIPC5 installation folder (i.e. under a folder called Modules, under your P3Dv4 installation folder - here : C:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Modules\).

Did I forget anything? Was I wrong somewhere?

Did you end the macro creation process, by clicking the End Macro Making button? The macro file is created once you do this - as explained in the User Guide:

When you’ve finished adding macros, go back to the FSUIPC Keys or Buttons options, and click that End Macro
Making
button. The file will be written, and then loaded into FSUIPC’s keys and buttons drop-downs ready for use.

John

Just now, John Dowson said:

Is that the macro file name or the macro name? Remember, a macro file can have many macros

It is the name of the macro... I don't know how to set the name of the file. Also I was assuming that the name of the macro and the file are the same.

Did you end the macro creation process, by clicking the End Macro Making button?

Yes as per explained in the document...

3 minutes ago, Braudoux said:

I don't know how to set the name of the file.

But you must have given this BEFORE you created the macro...when you clicked the button to start making the macro, you should have seen a pop-up box where you enter the macro name, as described in the User guide. Did you not see this?

But you must have given this BEFORE you created the macro...when you clicked the button to start making the macro, you should have seen a pop-up box where you enter the macro name, as described in the User guide. Did you not see this?

Yes and that is what I call the Macro name: RDR RANGE UP. This because I assume that I need to create another macro for the range down

Please also see this in the documentation, if you are NOT seeing the message window to give your macro (not the macro file) a name:

[NOTE: to get these displays on the P3D screen you must have “Message
Text
” enabled (as it is by default). This is the bottom right option in the P3D Options—Settings—General—
Information screen].

If you are not giving the macro file a name AND each macro that you create in the file, you are doing something wrong.

Sorry nut I could see only one field where I was ask to enter a name at the beginning of the process. Will try again 😞

Please also see this in the documentation, if you are NOT seeing the message window to give your macro (not the macro file) a name:

I can see these displays. I told you that the macro works when I test it with the TAB key.

5 minutes ago, Braudoux said:

I told you that the macro works when I test it with the TAB key.

Then did you give the macro file a name there? If not, it won't have been created, and the file won't be created as there is no macro defined.

Please be aware of the difference between a macro file and a macro. A macro file can  contain multiple macros. This should be obvious from the documentation.

3 minutes ago, Braudoux said:

It is said: If OK enter a name,(else press ESC)... but I was not presented a box to enter a name. The windows closes immediately

You enter the name in the same box where it says 'Press TAB to test', which you said you did. Try creating it again and enter the name there, don't press the TAB key.

P.S, Finishing now for the day. Please re-read the instructions and try again before posting again...

Edited by John Dowson
PS added

Hello,

I could do the job 🙂... I was really disappointed by the UI of this feature. It was not obvious to me that I had to type the name of the macro within the black panel on top... 

II could not set 2 macros within the same the same file because only the latest command was recorded in the file. So I did 2 separate macros/files for Range Plus and Range Minus.

So I did learn something useful with the Mouse Macro. Thanks for your help.

Best regards

Bruno

12 hours ago, Braudoux said:

I was really disappointed by the UI of this feature. It was not obvious to me that I had to type the name of the macro within the black panel on top... 

It is just using the text display features provided by P3D. It is explained in the User manual, with screenshots as examples with the macro names entered for Warning and Caution.

12 hours ago, Braudoux said:

II could not set 2 macros within the same the same file because only the latest command was recorded in the file. So I did 2 separate macros/files for Range Plus and Range Minus.

Hmm, that is strange. You did press the eESC key to create the first macro before starting the second?
You could also have given the same macro filename if you did this a second time, and the 2nd macro would have been appended to the same file.

Anyway, glad you got it working.

John