The simFlight Network Forums

MSFS2020 - Aircraft Ailerons Not Full Responsive

What I am experiencing is limited to left aileron movement. Initially I can roll left but as I increase the rate (i.e. move the stick further to the left) the ailerons stop responding. From what I see in the joystick calibration window the full range of movement is available. I've tried deleting my profile for that aircraft but the problem always returns. Files attached.

FSUIPC7.ini FSUIPC7.JoyScan.csv FSUIPC7.log

As you are using separate files for profiles, I need to see the ini for your F-104 profile.

Also, your ini doesn't show much... Always close down FSUIPC7 before attaching your ini please - looks like FSUIPC7 was still running when you attached that file, or FSUIPC7 had crashed. Could you activate logging for axes controls, load your aircraft and then move your ailerons through there full range, then close FSUIPC7 and show me the FSUIPC7.log as well as your F-104.ini file.

1 hour ago, snp227 said:

I did a short flight to make sure the problem was reproduced; files attached.

No need to do a flight - you should have just sat on the runway and moved your ailerons through their full range...

However, your logs do show that your ailerons are moving through the full range:

504329 ***  AXIS: Cntrl= 65763 (0x000100e3), Param= -16384 (0xffffc000) AXIS_AILERONS_SET
 506719 ***  AXIS: Cntrl= 65763 (0x000100e3), Param= 16384 (0x00004000) AXIS_AILERONS_SET

You are not using the full range of your controller axis as this is your aileron calibration:

Aileron=-14255,-528,866,14364/16

i.e. maximum negative deflection (-16384) is achieved when your controller reaches -14255, and maximum positive deflection (16384) when your controller reaches 14364.
You could try re-calibrating, if your aileron axes goes to -16384 and +16284. You can also try calibrating the axis in windows game controllers first if not seeing the full movement range.

You are also using a slope on your ailerons:

SlopeAileron=2

You can also try removing that if you are having issues - you can always add it back later.

Other than that, your aileron axis seems ok from the logs, and I'm not sure why you think they have "stopped responding". You can always open the console log and see the (logged) values being sent in real time. Maybe do this with an outside view of the aircraft so that you can verify that the ailerons are moving through there full range - easier to do while on the runway than when in the air!

Other than that, some add-ons don't play well when sending to FSUIPC calibration. If that is the case, you can try assigning to the FS control instead (and not Firect to FSUIPC Calibration) and remove the calibration entry for the ailerons, by clicking Reset in the calibration panel.

John

Than Thank you. I will investigate further. The reason I say they have stopped responding is because when I input more than a small amount of aileron the aircraft stops rolling to the left, and when I view the aircraft externally it looks as though the ailerons are centered for some reason.

9 minutes ago, snp227 said:

The reason I say they have stopped responding is because when I input more than a small amount of aileron the aircraft stops rolling to the left, and when I view the aircraft externally it looks as though the ailerons are centered for some reason.

As I say, easier to check this while stationary on the ground, and logging the axis (with the console open) will allow you to see the values in real time and compare to the deflection/movement you see in MSFS. If the visuals don't correspond to the values seen, try switching to one of the FS Aileron controls (and try the different ones to see if they make a difference).

Would you have further suggestions as I have switched to FS controls for axis aileron and then axis aileron set with no improvement?

The reason I am checking the controls in the air is that they appear to respond (and look) correctly while on the ground prior to takeoff.

They should respond the same in the air as on the ground...
You can try logging the axes values to check that full deflection is being sent, but I don't see why it should be any different in the air from when on the ground.
Are you sure its not just the aircraft handling? Have you tried any other aircraft - do they have the same problem?

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Planenut65 said:

Is anyone having problems with the F104 ailerons control being backwards? 

Maybe, I haven't checked, but you can handle this in one of two ways:
    1. If you are calibrating the axis in FSIOPC, just reverse the axis
    2. If you are not calibrating, you can reverse the axis by adding an axis scaling parameter of -1 to your axis assignment entry in the FSUIPC7.ini file. See the
        section Additional parameters to scale input axis values on P40 of the Advanced User guide.

John