The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC7 + FBW + LVARS

JaceR69

Hi, my name its Borja,

I just bought FSUIPC7 to set the Lvars from A320 FBW https://docs.flybywiresim.com/pilots-corner/a32nx-briefing/a32nx_api/ but i dont know how to start to do it. 

Im looking for set the APU MASTER sw and the START sw that its not avaible on the MSFS controls menu.

this its another post from FBW https://docs.flybywiresim.com/fbw-a32nx/a32nx-api/ 

16 hours ago, JaceR69 said:

I just bought FSUIPC7 to set the Lvars

You should have tried FSUIPC7 with the trial license before purchasing...

16 hours ago, JaceR69 said:

i dont know how to start to do it

To use lvars, you need to either
 - add the lvar to a free FSUIPC offset, and then assign using one of the offset controls
 - use a macro file
 - use a lua script

Please see the provided documentation. If you are new to FSUIPC, you should at least take a look at the User guide.
Access to lvars/hvars/calculator code is provided by the FSUIPC WASM module. Please see the Advanced User guide, starting on page 43. For macro use, see P33 for general macro information,  and P35 on how to access lvars using macros, also in the Advanced User Guide.

John

Okey, I was testing the info in the PDF's and I can set this on "1A320.mcro" file located in FSUIPC7 main folder: 

1=MAP Capt=C2999,1
2=NAV Capt=C2999,2
3=VOR Capt=C2999,3
4=PLN Capt=C2999,4
5=APP Capt=C2999,5
6=CTR Capt=C2999,6
101=MAP F/O=C2999,101

when i go to buttons and switch assignaments i can see this lvar on the dropdown menu, BUT if i try to set the Lvars that I want; the A320 of FBW (https://docs.flybywiresim.com/pilots-corner/a32nx-briefing/a32nx_api/), I cant see them.

The first step that I do its go to Addons > WASM > List Lvar

After that a long list its deployed and I select "A32NX_OVHD_APU_MASTER_SW_PB_IS_ON" that in my opinion its for the master button to start the apu

I go to the 1A320.mrco file and set as:  1=A32NX_OVHD_APU_MASTER_SW_PB_IS_ON=66C0

i save it, i go to the drop list on FSUIPC PROGRAM and it doesnt show the control. IF I change the offset, for example from 66C0 to C2999,1 (as the explame states on the "advanced user pdf" the control appears on the drop list on the FSUIPC program but doesnt do anything on the game

Regards, Borja

14 minutes ago, JaceR69 said:

1=MAP Capt=C2999,1
2=NAV Capt=C2999,2
3=VOR Capt=C2999,3
4=PLN Capt=C2999,4
5=APP Capt=C2999,5
6=CTR Capt=C2999,6
101=MAP F/O=C2999,101

when i go to buttons and switch assignaments i can see this lvar on the dropdown menu, BUT if i try to set the Lvars that I want

They are not lvars. You have created macros that send the control '2999'. Did you read the manual?
This is the relevant section:

The macro facility to operate Lvars can only be used by editing macro files and building them manually. The format is:
N=L:name=ACTION
Where ACTION must be one of:
Set, Inc, Dec, Sbits, Cbits, Cyclic or Toggle (but only the first 3 letters are needed):

Set copies the parameter in the Macro invocation to the identified Lvar. Alternatively, a value can be given
explicitly here, by “
Set,n”. Values are limited to the normal parameter range, –32768 to 32767

23 minutes ago, JaceR69 said:

I go to the 1A320.mrco file and set as:  1=A32NX_OVHD_APU_MASTER_SW_PB_IS_ON=66C0

Why do you think that would work? PLEASE read the documentation. To toggle (i.e. change from 1->0 or 0->1), ytu:
    1=L:A32NX_OVHD_APU_MASTER_SW_PB_IS_ON=Toggle

26 minutes ago, JaceR69 said:

IF I change the offset, for example from 66C0 to C2999,1 (as the explame states on the "advanced user pdf" the control appears on the drop list on the FSUIPC program but doesnt do anything on the game

I don't know where you are seeing this. You are confusing offsets with controls.
If you want to add the lvar to an offset, then that is a different way to access lvars which is also explained, with an example, in the Advanced User guide.

John

Hi John,

i also have problems to understand how to change the value of a lvar in a simple way and how to make the connection to "control sent when button pressed", because lvars are not listed in this drop down list, just custom events, macros.

Where to define this example above to change the lvar value: 1=L:A32NX_OVHD_APU_MASTER_SW_PB_IS_ON=Toggle ?

in the marco file?

In: "N=L:name=ACTION" what does N mean? The index as a reference to a defined macro?

Thank you for your help.

Werner

2 hours ago, John Dowson said:

They are not lvars. You have created macros that send the control '2999'. Did you read the manual?
This is the relevant section:

okey this understood

2 hours ago, John Dowson said:

Why do you think that would work? PLEASE read the documentation. To toggle (i.e. change from 1->0 or 0->1), ytu:
    1=L:A32NX_OVHD_APU_MASTER_SW_PB_IS_ON=Toggle

well, im not an expert in this and my english its not my mother lenguage, so maybe i missunderstood something when I read the "advanced user PDF" and "user guide".

I have doubts about if the files are set on the correct place.

12 minutes ago, wk2022 said:

Hi John,

i also have problems to understand how to change the value of a lvar in a simple way and how to make the connection to "control sent when button pressed", because lvars are not listed in this drop down list, just custom events, macros.

Where to define this example above to change the lvar value: 1=L:A32NX_OVHD_APU_MASTER_SW_PB_IS_ON=Toggle ?

in the marco file?

As John say i have the same problems, maybe we are not enought expert as we have to, to understand all this info, maybe if the guide has a "tutorial" with photos or something like this video "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKBjEl9E5A4&t=877s&ab_channel=MobiFlight" but in a photo way or more detailed like i explained here "I can set this on "1A320.mcro" file located in FSUIPC7 main folder.... The first step that I do its go to Addons > WASM > List Lvar. After that a long list its deployed and I select "A32NX_OVHD_APU_MASTER_SW_PB_IS_ON" that in my opinion its for the master button to start the apu. I go to the 1A320.mrco file and set as:  1=A32NX_OVHD_APU_MASTER_SW_PB_IS_ON=66C0 I save it, i go to the drop list on FSUIPC PROGRAM"

to that users that are not so adavanced but want to start to explore this world.

Kind regards and thanks Jhon for help us ❤️ 

Borja.

14 hours ago, wk2022 said:

i also have problems to understand how to change the value of a lvar in a simple way and how to make the connection to "control sent when button pressed",

The easiest way to do this is to use the Adding Lvars to Offsets functionality, which may be easier to understand. A full example is given on how to do this in the Advanced User guide, P43. Can you please read the whole section on using the FSUIPC WASM module to get a basic understanding on how to use lvars/hvars, then just try it out.
There are also many support requests where I have explained things in more detail, so please check previous support cases if you have any issues, e.g.

in the marco file?

In: "N=L:name=ACTION" what does N mean? The index as a reference to a defined macro?

It is the index number for internal reference.

how to make the connection to "control sent when button pressed", because lvars are not listed in this drop down list, just custom events, macros.

If using mactos, then assign to that macro - it will be listed as:
     YourMacroFilenameL:A32NX_OVHD_APU_MASTER_SW_PB_IS_ON Toggle

14 hours ago, JaceR69 said:

As John say i have the same problems, maybe we are not enought expert as we have to, to understand all this info, maybe if the guide has a "tutorial" with photos or something like this video

I just don't have time for this, but there is already an abundance of information on using FSUIPC macros - they have been around for many many years.
If you find using macros complicated, just use the lvars-to-offfsets functionality instead. The example given  in the Advanced user guide should be easy enough to follow.
Just make sure that the offset control used matches the type of the value you are storing, don't overlap offsets, and make sure that they are boundary aligned (all explained in the Advanced User Guide).

John

Hi Borja,

John is right, that everything is explained in the documents, but it is not so easy (at least for me) to get everything together. 

Now let me describe step-by-step how you can toggle the lvar: A32NX_OVHD_APU_MASTER_SW_PB_IS_ON

You do not need a macro, just an offset. 

1) Assign a free offset (A000) to your lvar in FSUIPC7.INI:

[LvarOffsets]
   1=L:A32NX_OVHD_APU_MASTER_SW_PB_IS_ON=UB0xA000

In: FSUIPC7 Offsets Status.pdf on page 106 it is described that the offsets from A000 to A200 are free for general use. Therefore lets use the first free offset (A000)

Please do not forget to "Add-Ons->WASM->Reload" after you make changes in this section of the PSUIPC7.INI

2) In FSUIPC7 go to "Assignments->Buttons&Switches" and press your joystick button to assign to the APU Master Switch.

Select the checkbox "Select for FS Control"

From the drop-down list of "Control sent when button pressed" select "Offset Byte Togglebits"

Enter in the field Offset: xA000, enter in the field parameter: x01

You see the connection between your button and the lvar is the offset A000

After pressing OK it should work (i just tested it)

Regards

Werner

• 2 months later...

Hi Werner,

I just started to program buttons with FSUIPC. I have been reading and searching in forums and YT videos for already 3 days with no results.  Your reply to Borja is the first real example that I have found so far and that I maybe can use to program BAT1 & BAT2 for the FBW A320 on my new Thrustmaster TCA.  I really do understand that John can not make the code for everyone.  Otherwise for non-English native language people, the manuals are not easy at all and to interpret.  If I can code both BAT switches, I’ll try the 3 position landing lights but I’m afraid that it’s a no-go at all.  Anyway I can continue after March 20th because I’ll be in Austria.

Thank you very much for your step_by_step description.

Peter

@ON4KN I understand that setting up lvars to access via offsets can be quite confusing, especially for non-native English speakers.
The latest version of FSUIPC (v7.3.1) supports the use of MobiFlight presets which should be easier to use. Check the MobiFlight hub-hob resource (https://hubhop.mobiflight.com/) for the aircraft you are using and search for a preset for the function you want to implement. So, for example, for the A320 BAT1 I see this preset: A32NX_OH_ELEC_BAT1_TOG. That will be listed under the controls menu as 'Preset: A32NX Oh Elec Ba1 Tog' (providing you have the WASM installed and enabled, and have also installed the MF preset file, called events.txt). You can assign your button directly to that preset.

John

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John,

Here are the results what I have done for the Bat1 & 2 switches on the FBW A320 (dev version).

First I updated FSUIPC to version 7.3.2 and I brought back the ini file to default.  I selected Assignments/Buttons & Switches, pushed the button on the TQ, Select for FS control, selected “Preset:OVHD ELEC BATTERY 1 TOGGLE” in the pulldown menu, parameter set to 1.  It works from the first time.  I did the same for Bat2 and bingo !  Both switches are doing the job.  To be sure I did it also for external power and this works great too.  It was much more easier than I thought and tried before.

Thanks for your support and best regards,

Peter