The simFlight Network Forums

Axes Profile Settings

ark1320

I'd like to confirm that axes calibrations settings specified in the general (non-profile specific) area will apply to aircraft specific profiles if those settings are not explicitly specified in the aircraft specific profile areas. In other words, the axes calibration settings work like the keys and button assignments as far as the non-profile/profile specific relationship is concerned.

So, for example, an axis slope value set in the general, aircraft non-specific area will apply to profile specific aircraft if there is no corresponding slope value set for a profile specific aircraft.

Do I understand this correctly?

Thanks,

Al

13 hours ago, ark1320 said:

I'd like to confirm that axes calibrations settings specified in the general (non-profile specific) area will apply to aircraft specific profiles if those settings are not explicitly specified in the aircraft specific profile areas. In other words, the axes calibration settings work like the keys and button assignments as far as the non-profile/profile specific relationship is concerned.

Not quite. The general (non-profile specific) calibration settings will be used if there is no profile-specific calibration section. If there is, that will be used. However, what ini parameter is used is based upon the presence of the profile-specific calibration section, not an individual ini parameter.

13 hours ago, ark1320 said:

So, for example, an axis slope value set in the general, aircraft non-specific area will apply to profile specific aircraft if there is no corresponding slope value set for a profile specific aircraft.

Do I understand this correctly?

No, this is not correct. An axis slope value set in the general, aircraft non-specific area will apply to profile specific aircraft if there is no corresponding profile calibration section. If the section exists, that section will be used. So, the calibration works in a similar way to the [Axis] sections, not the [Buttons] or [Keys]. The first time you check the profile-specific check-box in the calibration panel, the current general calibration section (+ any changes made in the current session) is used to create the profile-specific calibration section. From then on, only the calibration-specific section ini parameters will be used.

Hope this makes sense.

John

10 hours ago, John Dowson said:

Not quite. The general (non-profile specific) calibration settings will be used if there is no profile-specific calibration section. If there is, that will be used. However, what ini parameter is used is based upon the presence of the profile-specific calibration section, not an individual ini parameter.

No, this is not correct. An axis slope value set in the general, aircraft non-specific area will apply to profile specific aircraft if there is no corresponding profile calibration section. If the section exists, that section will be used. So, the calibration works in a similar way to the [Axis] sections, not the [Buttons] or [Keys]. The first time you check the profile-specific check-box in the calibration panel, the current general calibration section (+ any changes made in the current session) is used to create the profile-specific calibration section. From then on, only the calibration-specific section ini parameters will be used.

Hope this makes sense.

John

John,

Based on the above, my understanding now is that if a Profile specific a/c has a Calibration section, that rules in total and no General section calibrations settings apply to the profile a/c. And the same idea holds for Axes sections, which I don't think I realize before this either.    So in summary, between the general and profile specific areas, axes and calibration section specifications work on a sectional existence basis, and key and button specifications work on an individual key or button basis.

Thinking about all this a little further, I assume default values are used where necessary if the profile calibration section fails to mention a necessary setting. So for example, if the profile calibration section had no entry  "UseAxisControlsForNRZ", a default value (e.g., UseAxisControlsForNRZ=No) would apply.

Thanks very much for this info -- extremely important and helpful to say the least!!

Al

On 1/11/2022 at 9:12 PM, ark1320 said:

Based on the above, my understanding now is that if a Profile specific a/c has a Calibration section, that rules in total and no General section calibrations settings apply to the profile a/c. And the same idea holds for Axes sections, which I don't think I realize before this either. 

Yes.

On 1/11/2022 at 9:12 PM, ark1320 said:

Thinking about all this a little further, I assume default values are used where necessary if the profile calibration section fails to mention a necessary setting. So for example, if the profile calibration section had no entry  "UseAxisControlsForNRZ", a default value (e.g., UseAxisControlsForNRZ=No) would apply.

Also true. However, most {i.e. probably not all} are written with the default values anyway, but there are most probably some that use default values and are not written unless you manually add the value. Probably not very consistent, but a result of 20 years of development with many additional ini parameters added for very specific purposes. Hopefully the documentation should cover all ini parameters and give the default value when relevant.

Cheers,

John

• Like 1