The simFlight Network Forums

Anyone Using FSUIPC Axes Calibrations along with MSFS Sensitivity Curves?

ark1320

I calibrate all my controller axes through FSUIPC7, make use of the slope curves where it seems useful, etc. In some cases it also seems there might be some benefit from also using the controller sensitivity curves in MSFS.  I originally thought the axes output from FSUIPC7 calibration would become the axes input to the MSFS sensitivity curve settings. So, for example, if you used a FSUIPC rudder axis slope of 4, and had a rudder sensitivity setting of -50 in MSFS, both of these "calibrations" would be applied to the final input to the sim aircraft -- or so I thought. But after some additional testing it does not seem to work that way. As an extreme experiment I set the rudder axis sensitivity curves in MSFS to -98, and a dead zone of 95%, and then looked at rudder movement while the a/c was sitting on the runway. Small rudder inputs still seemed to move the rudder despite the extreme sensitivity curve settings.  🤔  So it seems FSUIPC7 calibrated controller inputs bypass the MSFS sensitivity curves.

If anyone has tried something similar I'd be very interested to learn what you found.

Thanks,

Al 

The above was edited after additional testing.

On 1/14/2022 at 11:05 PM, ark1320 said:

So it seems FSUIPC7 calibrated controller inputs bypass the MSFS sensitivity curves.

I haven't tried this but the result depends in which level the MSFS applies the sensitivity curves. From what you say, it looks like the values send from FSUIPC go at a higher level and bypass the MSFS calibration.

John

5 hours ago, John Dowson said:

I haven't tried this but the result depends in which level the MSFS applies the sensitivity curves. From what you say, it looks like the values send from FSUIPC go at a higher level and bypass the MSFS calibration.

John

Well, if seems that way if just looking at how the rudder moves while the a/c is on the ground is a valid test for the rudder axis.   If you ever have time and a reason to look into it I'll be interested in what you find out.

Thanks,

Al

16 hours ago, ark1320 said:

John

16 hours ago, ark1320 said:

Well, if seems that way if just looking at how the rudder moves while the a/c is on the ground is a valid test for the rudder axis. 

For anyone who might be interested, I went back an tried a flight test. In MSFS I set both aileron axis Sensitivities to -95, and set the Dead Zone to 95. I then took off and the plane flew normally -- the aileron response seemed unaffected by the MSFS Sensitivity and Dead Zone settings. So I conclude the FSUIPC7 axis control inputs bypass the MSFS controller axes settings which, in my opinion, is unfortunate. It would be useful I think to be able to use both FSUIPC7 and the MSFS controller settings to fine tune the response of axes.

Al