The simFlight Network Forums

PMDG's 737-700, FSUIPC 7.3.3 and MSFS2020

hvw

Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help me with my reverse  thrust problem I have got in PMDG's 737-700. 

I have got a Thrustmaster T-flight Hotas X joystick and I am attempting to assign the throttle via FSUIPC. Just as I did a couple of years ago with PMDG's 737 for P3D. I did assign the joysticks throttle to Throttle 1 Set and Throttle 2 Set  and calibrated this in option 3 of 11: Separate throttles per engine. I unchecked the "Exclude THROTTLEn_SET" checkbox just as I did way back in P3D for this aircraft. 

Now, however, in MSFS2020 this doesn't work for me. No reverse thrust at all and throttles are running full at the stick's idle position. I hope that I can find some help here. What did I overlook? Or what else should I do to get my joystick to work as desired?

Thanks very much for any help,
Hans van Wijhe

Later:

Got it working, I thought. I accidentally (??) did assign each engine to a throttle axis in MSFS2020, where I should have select Throttle Axis (with reverser) only in the control options of FS2020.Thought it worked, the throttles moved into the correct positions, but alas, this didn't activate the reversers in the plane itself. 

I am slightly confused by your post...are you assigning in MSFS or in FSUIPC?

As I don't have the PMDG 737, it is difficult for me to advise on how the reversers work in that aircraft in MSFS. For the P3D PMDG 737, you can assign the throttle in FSUIPC but without calibration. For the reversers, you would normally program a throttle button (or the button detent on the throttle axis, if you have one) to send repeated throttle decrement controls (when throttle is at idle) and then send a throttle cut on button release to bring it back to idle.

However, I have no idea how the reversers work in the MSFS - this has additional reverser controls that may be used instead. You could try activating logging (both for Events and Axis Controls) and reversing via the cockpit UI to see what controls/events are logged. Otherwise, check the documentation that came with the aircraft or ask about this on the PMDG forums.

John

Hi John,

I assigned the throttle in both MSFS and FSUIPC. I assigned (in FSUIPC) Throttle 1 set and Throttle 2 set and then I calibrated the throttles in option 3 of the calibration tab. (I did it the same way  in P3D to avoid having to use buttons for reverse thrust). Calibrating in this option 3 of the calibration tab I selected the max input for full forward thrust, 0 for idle thrust and minimum input for reverse thrust. (See attached files). This worked perfectly in P3D. 

throttles.jpg

6 minutes ago, hvw said:

This worked perfectly in P3D. 

That is strange - many people get issues when calibrating the throttle in FSUIPC for PMDG aircraft...

It is still not clear to me if you have any issues or not, but if you do, I cannot advise anything further than I did in my original post.

59 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

That is strange - many people get issues when calibrating the throttle in FSUIPC for PMDG aircraft...

It is still not clear to me if you have any issues or not, but if you do, I cannot advise anything further than I did in my original post.

No,  it is not strange 🙂 It was Pete who told me to do so lots of years ago. Yes, the issue is that I with this MSFS2020 version of PMDG 737 cannot use the throttle on my joystick at all. No problem, I will stick to the FBW A320Neo then. 

Thanks John

PS: You may want to have a look at pages 31 and following of the FSUIPC User Manual. It is described there what I did to try and get my throttles to work

Edited by hvw
Additional information

1 hour ago, hvw said:

No,  it is not strange 🙂 It was Pete who told me to do so lots of years ago.

Well, must have been quite a while ago (and before my time!) - this is one example of many responses by Pete on this subject:

1 hour ago, hvw said:

Yes, the issue is that I with this MSFS2020 version of PMDG 737 cannot use the throttle on my joystick at all. No problem, I will stick to the FBW A320Neo then. 

A waste of an add-in purchase then... You should try what I advised in my first post. I am sure it will be possible, you just need to work out what controls it is using.

1 hour ago, hvw said:

PS: You may want to have a look at pages 31 and following of the FSUIPC User Manual. It is described there what I did to try and get my throttles to work

I am familiar with the manuals....they  provide general instructions applicable to a lot of aircraft, but not all, especially complex add-ons. If the general methods/controls don't work, you have to investigate further.

I logged the events and axis. Only Throttle_Inc, Throttle_cut and Throttle_decr are being used  via the cockpitUI. 

Reading the PMDG forum, there are a lot of folks having problems with their joysticks (different brands) to get reverse thrust (and forward thrust) to work correctly.