The simFlight Network Forums

Getting User Input

ark1320

Hi John,

Do you happen to know if there has been any "advances" in the MSFS SDK that supports getting user input values via the keyboard?

I'm thinking of something similar to the ipc.ask() function that we have available in FSX and P3D.

Thanks,

Al

8 hours ago, ark1320 said:

Do you happen to know if there has been any "advances" in the MSFS SDK that supports getting user input values via the keyboard?

I'm thinking of something similar to the ipc.ask() function that we have available in FSX and P3D.

The issue with the the ipc.ask() function is its dependence on a simconnect message window using the API SimConnect_Text function, not on getting the input values back - this is handled by FSUIPC. This function is still documented as not currently available for use. So no, there has been no advance with this, and I don't know if this will ever be fixed or replaced by something else.

At some point I could look into adding a similar function to get user input via the wnd library (e.g. a wnd.ask() function), but I can't say when I will get the time to look into adding such a function at the moment. 

John

4 hours ago, John Dowson said:

At some point I could look into adding a similar function to get user input via the wnd library (e.g. a wnd.ask() function), but I can't say when I will get the time to look into adding such a function at the moment. 

John,

A wnd.ask() function would sure be helpful, but I can appreciate your time constraints.

Thanks,

Al

20 hours ago, ark1320 said:

A wnd.ask() function would sure be helpful, but I can appreciate your time constraints.

Note that we discussed this before (nearly 1.5 years ago now) and I provided you with a script that gets numeric input via lua using the wnd library - see 

John

4 hours ago, John Dowson said:

Note that we discussed this before (nearly 1.5 years ago now) and I provided you with a script that gets numeric input via lua using the wnd library

Yes!  And I used versions of your script in the MSFSmoveAircraft and Set Future Pause for MSFS or P3D scripts that are in the User Contributions subforum here. I was hoping that since that time Asobo had made things a bit easier.

However, it has been a while since I wrote those scripts -- I need to go back and review the details.

Many thanks,

Al