The simFlight Network Forums

winds changing heading ?

Hi Pete,

Maybe you have an idea about what is going on:

Project Magenta...(only happens with winds)

In HDG SEL mode if I select HDG 040 aircraft flies HDG 038. If I set HDG 190, aircraft flies HDG 192.

If I'm flying at HDG 010 and I PAUSE FS2004, the ND map rotate to the left 3 degrees, so HDG in ND shows 013, when I release the PAUSE it goes back to 010.

The offsets change with different winds strength, strong side wind = larger HGD offset.

Maybe there is something in FSUIPC that can help on this...

Thanks,

Sounds like there's a mix-up between "Track" and "Heading" to me. Why don't you ask Enrico? I really don't know what PM is doing there.

Maybe there is something in FSUIPC that can help on this...

Why? FSUIPC is an interface to FS data. It is providing PM with the aircraft heading (which is where the nose is pointing, not necessarily where it going) and the wind component. You can switch PM's ND between TRK and HDG modes, What does it say at the top? Try the other mode, see what it says then. And compare what it says with what a regular FS gauge says for heading -- they should agree as they get the data from the same place.

Are you by any chance using Enrico's own A/P modes, still in Beta I understand? If so change back to the original PM modes and see if that fixes it. Maybe there's a bug in the new code. Either way it is certainly something for Enrico to look at. The FS A/P holds correct headings fine.

Regards,

Pete

The FS panel shows and hold the correct heading, probably it is on the Enrico side. I'm not using A/P beta. I asked about FSUIPC only to know if could be something about smoothing winds, etc...but I'll wait for an Enrico answer...

Thanks for the feedback,

The FS panel shows and hold the correct heading, probably it is on the Enrico side. I'm not using A/P beta. I asked about FSUIPC only to know if could be something about smoothing winds, etc...but I'll wait for an Enrico answer...

The heading shown on the FS panel is the same heading PM will be reading. If it is displaying something which is altering for winds then it sounds like he is effectively calculating track even if it is displaying as Heading.

Nothing in this area has changed in FSUIPC for 4 years, and I don't recall any such PM problem before, so that's why I assumed you were using something new in PM's code.

FSUIPC cannot use winds or anything else to "fiddle" a heading value, it must report the heading as provided, i.e. where the nose is pointing.

Regards,

Pete