The simFlight Network Forums

AutoAssign=No ignored

DakotaPilot

I'm using 7.3.5 and have AutoAssign set to No as I do for FSX and P3D.  I assigned letters to three of my devices and not to the rest.  However, if I remove the unwanted letter assignments the next time I start FSUIPC it has assigned letters to the devices again.

Maybe I'm missing something here about autoassign?

Thanks for a utility that makes MSFS controls actually usable.

Just checked and it looks like I removed this ini option ion FSUIPC7 but have forgotten to remove it from the documentation.
Too many people were having issues with Joy id changes as they weren't using the JoyLetters facility, so I originally just change the default from No to Yes. However, as many users transferred there ini files from other FSUIPC versions, this was still not being set so I decided to remove this option altogether but forgot to update the documentation.

This option really isn't necessary. If you want to change the original letter assigned, just do this before you make any assignments and then reload/restart. I will update the documentation to make this clear.

John

I see.  It isn't really a problem but since it didn't work the same way I thought something was broken.  It's more of a convienence not having letters assigned to controls I don't need letters for and adds more clutter to the file.  I assign mine manually anyway and put the ones I want with the letters I want.  I'll ignore the rest until I use them.

Thanks.

And again, FSUIPC7 makes the controls usable!!!

28 minutes ago, DakotaPilot said:

It's more of a convienence not having letters assigned to controls I don't need letters for and adds more clutter to the file.  I assign mine manually anyway and put the ones I want with the letters I want.  I'll ignore the rest until I use them.

You should always use letters to prevent possible issues when the joy ids change, that is why this is now mandatory. I will update the documentation, as I said.

Thanks,

John

Yes, I started using letters some time ago so things didn't change when IDs did.    I have a yoke, throttle quadrants, (4), pedals,  as well as HOTAS with throttle and stick, all routed via Joystick Gremlin to vJoy devices. so I end up with a lot of entries.  In the past I only assigned letters to vJoy devices since all the physical devices ended up there.  That gave me only three devices, three letters.  When I saw FSUIPC7 had assigned  everything letters I wasn't sure if it was a bug since the docs (which you are now fixing) said they shouldn't be there.

I think forcing letters is a good idea and eliminates user issues and now I know it's intentional I'll just ignore the ones I don't want.