The simFlight Network Forums

profiles don't lode very well?

mtjoeng

have UseProfiles=Files

my airplane profiles don't load very well - sometimes -, which I notice when taking off and using profile commands, I then have to pause the sim, open FSUIPC and click/check the 'ProfileSpecific' box.

Any chance this is something specific, or just my installation quirk?

using 7.3.7 (MSFS beta 10)

12 hours ago, mtjoeng said:

Any chance this is something specific, or just my installation quirk?

This is usually because you are using an aircraft variant (e.g. different livery) that is not using a profile that you created for a different version of that aircraft.
This is because when you add/create a profile for an aircraft, the full aircraft title is used, and as each variant has a different title, if you use a different variant then  it will not match the profile. To get around this, there are two options:
  1. use substring matching for profiles. This is activated by default, but to use this you need to change the aircraft name (in the [Profile.xxx] sections of your FSUIPC7.ini) to a substring that matches all aircraft variants. If you attach your FSUIPC7.ini I can take a look and recommend the changes you should make.

2. Use the ini paramater UseAirLocForProfiles (see the Advanced User guide for details). If you set this to Yes, you would have to re-attach your aircraft to the profiles they use, but you should only need to do this once for each profile/aircraft (and also a goof idea to remove the old aircraft names/titles from the profile sections, but not strictly necessary).

John

John,

Just wanted to confirm the current dialog box behavior is correct / as intended wrt to the Profile Specific check box.  Using 7.3.8c.  In my FSUIPC.ini:

UseProfiles=Files
UseAirLocForProfiles=Yes

and in my MD80 profile:

[Auto]
1=Lua MD80Assigns
2=MD80

For me, this all functions perfectly.  My profile assignments load with the aircraft, and my Lua script automatically runs.

By default, when I open the Button & Switch Assignments dialog, or the Key Assignments dialog, the Profile Specific check box is NOT checked.  Again, functionally this behaves as one would expect.  I can assign buttons and keys that show up in FSUIPC.ini or, if I check the box, those assignments will show up in the aircraft profile.  That seems logical, and gives one the flexibility to move between general and aircraft-specific assignments.

The Axis Assignments & Calibration dialog does not seem to provide this flexibility - once an axis is assigned using a profile, the ProfileSpecific check box is greyed out.  This is not a big deal - if I'm going to assign axes for an aircraft I will (almost) always do it within a profile.  Just curious if this was your design intent.

Thanks!

On 8/10/2022 at 10:27 PM, Moderate Chop said:

By default, when I open the Button & Switch Assignments dialog, or the Key Assignments dialog, the Profile Specific check box is NOT checked.  Again, functionally this behaves as one would expect.  I can assign buttons and keys that show up in FSUIPC.ini or, if I check the box, those assignments will show up in the aircraft profile.  That seems logical, and gives one the flexibility to move between general and aircraft-specific assignments.

The Axis Assignments & Calibration dialog does not seem to provide this flexibility - once an axis is assigned using a profile, the ProfileSpecific check box is greyed out.  This is not a big deal - if I'm going to assign axes for an aircraft I will (almost) always do it within a profile.  Just curious if this was your design intent.

This is by design. General button and key assignments are inherited by all profiles, unless overwritten by that profile, so you can always assign a button or key press to the current profile or to the general profile. General axis assignments are not inherited by a profile, so only axis assignments in that profile apply. When you initially create a new profile, you are asked if you want to import the general axis assignments into that profile. Once the profile is created, and an aircraft is assigned to that profile, new axis assignments can only created in the aircraft profile.

John