The simFlight Network Forums

Is MobiFlight WASM Still Needed for EVT Files ?

zap737

Hi,  I have the latest version of FSUIPC 7 - 7.3.15.

Is the Mobiflight WASM required to be installed in the Community folder to have event files work ?  The reason I ask is that I do NOT have it installed and it does seem to work.

Is the Mobiflight WASM required to be installed in the Community folder to have the events.txt (Mobiflight/HubHop file) work ?  Again, I do NOT have it installed and it does seem to work.

Is is best just to have myevents.txt ONLY in the FSUIPC directory or can I have both the events.txt & the myevents.txt in the FSUIPC directory ?

Thanks

18 minutes ago, zap737 said:

Is the Mobiflight WASM required to be installed in the Community folder to have event files work ?

Event files are those files with the extension .evt - some are provided in the EventFiles folder under your FSUIPC7 installation folder. You will need the MF WASM module installed if using MF event files, other event files (such as the one for the FBW A32X are handled by the aircraft itself. So, when using event files, you need to have whatever handles those events installed in your Community folder. However, there is not much need to use actual event files these days - this functionality is better accessed via presets.

22 minutes ago, zap737 said:

Is the Mobiflight WASM required to be installed in the Community folder to have the events.txt (Mobiflight/HubHop file) work ?  Again, I do NOT have it installed and it does seem to work.

The events.txt file is not an event file! It is the MF preset file, and contains the preset names together with the calculator code that is executed when you call the preset. These are the presets that you see in the FSUIPC7 assignment drop-down when you check 'Select for presets'. The FSUIPC WASM must be installed to use these presets (not the MobiFlight WASM).

25 minutes ago, zap737 said:

Is is best just to have myevents.txt ONLY in the FSUIPC directory or can I have both the events.txt & the myevents.txt in the FSUIPC directory ?

You can have both. The events.txt file are the presets provided by MobiFlight and is the same file you can download from the MF HubHop site. I only update this file (included in the FSUIPC7 installer) on new releases, but you can always download this file from the MF HubHop site and use it to replace the one in your FSUIPC7 installation folder if you want to use some newer presets that are not available in the one provided by the installer. It is recommended not to edit this file, as it will get overwritten/replaced the next time you update/re-install FSUIPC7. This is why the myevents.txt file is provided, so that you can define your own presets. Some folks even just copy the presets for the aircraft they use from the events.txt file to the myevents.txt file, and then remove or rename the events.txt file, to restrict the drop-down menu options to contain only the presets they may use, reducing the drop-down menu size considerably and making presets easier to find.

Please refer to the section on presets in the Advanced User manual, in the WASM section.

John

Thanks John.  I think I'll move to using Presets and do away with the .evt files entirely.

I couldn't find the provided myevents.txt file so I made one myself - I suppose that's OK ?

As the events.txt file is so large, how can one reliably find ALL the entries for a particular aircraft and then copy them to the myevents file ?

On Hubhop, I tried to filter out just the ones I needed (e.g A32NX) but when I went to export, it gave me the entire events.txt file !

29 minutes ago, zap737 said:

I couldn't find the provided myevents.txt file so I made one myself - I suppose that's OK ?

Yes, you have to create this file yourself.

29 minutes ago, zap737 said:

As the events.txt file is so large, how can one reliably find ALL the entries for a particular aircraft and then copy them to the myevents file ?

Most are grouped together, and comments are also included. You just have to search for them - if you filter first on the hubhop site, you will see the prefix used for that aircraft, then you can search for that in the events.txt file in a text editor.

32 minutes ago, zap737 said:

On Hubhop, I tried to filter out just the ones I needed (e.g A32NX) but when I went to export, it gave me the entire events.txt file !

Yes - it always exports the entire list. It is not possible to just export your filtered selection - you could raise a feature request for this with MobiFlight.