The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC 7 not recognising More than 32 buttons

zap737

Hi, I have the latest FSUIPC version 7.3.15

I have a controller with 71 buttons and all the buttons work in other games.

However in FSUIPC only 32 buttons can be assigned through the interface.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling FSUIPC but no luck.

Thanks. 

Your ini file shows no assignments at all....

Which controller of yours has 71 buttons? 
Can you please run FSUIPC7 on its own (i.e. without MSFS running), activate logging for Buttons & Keys and open the logging console window, then press some buttons on this controller with 71 buttons, some that are recognised and some that aren't, and see what is logged in the console window and what is recognised in the button assignment window.
Close FSUIPC7, then attach your FSUIPC7.log file and tell me what you saw for the different button presses, recognised or not..

John

There were no assignments because I had just reinstalled FSUIPC and wanted to see if any buttons above 32 were recognised in the assignments dialog.

The controller with 71 buttons is:  E=ZapBox   GUID={A0745EA0-69ED-11ED-8007-444553540000}

Any button less than 32 was recognised in the console window.  Anything above 32 there was nothing registered in the console window - see attached image.

Log attached

Screenshot 2022-11-22 204259.png

FSUIPC7.log

I see you are using a vjoy device as well - what is this? Can you see buttons > 31 with that device?
Could you repeat this test with the vjoy device disabled/disconnected? There is a registry issue with this device and that of the zapbox, but that shouldn't cause any issues (just warnings):

93    WARNING: Joystick ID 1 is duplicated in Registry
       93    WARNING: Joystick ID 4 is duplicated in Registry

Other than that, I do noy know what can be causing this - FSUIPC7 just isn't seeing those buttons for some reason.

You can try the older method of handling > 32 buttons. which is using a lua plugin. There is an example lua script provided called HidDemo.lua in the lua examples zip file in your FSUIPC7 folder. I have also attach a version of this script updated for your zapbox device. Save this to your FSUIPC7 installation folder and add it to the [Auto] section of your FSUIPC7.ini file, i.e.

[Auto]
1=Lua HidDemo

Once that lua is running, see if you see any virtual buttons recognised when you press a button with a number > 31. If not, please attach your FSUIPC7.log file again.

HidDemo.lua

Hi John, vJoy is a virtual joystick and is required for use with Joystick Gremlin which can combine many joysticks with advanced functions.

It doesn't have any buttons itself, however it is the solution to the problem because I can map all of the buttons greater than 32 to this vJoy device using Joystick Gremlin and it is now seen by FSUIPC.  In fact I can create multiple vJoy devices and I could break up a large controller with many buttons into multiple.32 button vJoy devices.

Thanks,

Ok, glad you found a solution. However, I do not understand why FSUIPC7 isn't recognising your zapbox buttons > 31, and would like to know if the buttons are recognised without the virtual joystick (and Joystick Gremlin) running. I cannot think of anything else that is preventing this. I, and many other users, use multiple devices with > 31 buttons without issues.

John

Hi John, some more info.   I have another computer with identical Windows 11 setup and fully updated.  When I installed FSUIPC on that computer and connected the same controllers, more than 31 buttons were fully recognized !!!

Could this be a registry issue ?

I have tried many times to uninstall and reinstall FSUIPC on the problematic computer but no joy.

I don't want to have to re-install Windows to fix this problem.

Is there some way of removing all trace of FSUIPC from the problematic computer - including the registry and then trying again ?

Am I clutching at straws ?

3 hours ago, zap737 said:

Could this be a registry issue ?

Yes, probably either a registry or driver issue I would suspect...

3 hours ago, zap737 said:

Is there some way of removing all trace of FSUIPC from the problematic computer - including the registry and then trying again ?

It will be an issue with the device, not FSUIPC. FSUIPC only stores version and installation location data in the registry, and this is removed when you run the uninstaller.

You could try cleaning the registry of the device entries. Unplug the device, and uninstall any drivers (if you have manually installed any drivers. Then run the windows registry editor and first take a back-up of your registry and then exit. Then create a text file with extension .reg (e.g. removeZapBox.reg) with the following content:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID_0483&PID_4444]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_0483&PID_4444]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID_0483&PID_4444]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_0483&PID_4444]

That should remove most entries, but you may also want to run regedit again after doing this and search for any entries with vendor/VID of 0483 and a product/PID of 4444 and remove them. Once done, reboot you machine and then re-connect the device, and let Windows install default drivers and then try again.

John

14 minutes ago, zap737 said:

Hi John, I'm not clear on how running that removeZapBox.reg  you cited will remove the registry entries.  Won't it add those entries?

No, it will remove them - note the minus sign (-) in front of the entry. Double-click on the filename (in Windows Explorer) to run it.

• Like 1

Well, I'm amazed !  Success !!!!    It's working again Thanks a lot John.

I have one other annoying duplicated entry in the registry...

WARNING: Joystick ID 1 is duplicated in Registry

Device acquired for use:
       94    Joystick ID = 1 (Registry okay)
       94    1=FSSB R3 MJF
       94    1.GUID={30AFDF00-6DD4-11ED-8005-444553540000}

Product= FSSB R3L MJF J+B
       94    Manufacturer= RealSimulator
       94    Vendor=12E0, Product=2001 (Version 0.2)
       94    GUIDs returned for product: VID_12E0&PID_2001:
       94       GUID= {30A382F0-6DD4-11ED-8004-444553540000}
       94       Details: Btns=0, POVs=(0, 0, 0, 0), Cal=x00000000, Max=R0,U0,V0,X0,Y0,Z0

How can i find the duplicated entry and delete it.

I have already tried running the same procedure as i did for the Zapbox with a removeFSSB.reg file but it didn't work.

23 minutes ago, zap737 said:

Well, I'm amazed !  Success !!!!    It's working again Thanks a lot John.

Good news!

23 minutes ago, zap737 said:

I have one other annoying duplicated entry in the registry...

WARNING: Joystick ID 1 is duplicated in Registry

I really wouldn't worry about that - it is only a warning. I also get these for a couple of my devices  - it is not an issue.
You could try the same procedure using the VID and PID for that device, but it is quite possible they will be added again when you re-connect.

John