The simFlight Network Forums

Assigning joystick POV buttons to external view

Alhard Horstmann

1 hour ago, John Dowson said:

The camera controls don't work in MSFS via external assignments. You have to assign your POV to the default key assignments in MSFS for controlling the view.
These are, by default: lctl+Left, lctl+Right, lctl+Down, lctl+Up.

John

Thanks John, it works now.

So as a result: All assignments, which do not work, should be assigned via the MSFS keyboard assignments.

You never end to learn!

10 minutes ago, Alhard Horstmann said:

So as a result: All assignments, which do not work, should be assigned via the MSFS keyboard assignments.

Not necessarily...but you can always assign a button to a key press that is assigned in MSFS. You usually only use this technique for internal events that are either not working when sent from an external application (such as these), or for events that are not exposed by the SDK for use by external applications.

Hi John, I still have another question in assigning my controlers.

For moving the Drone camera I now use in FSUIPC7 the MSFS keyboard assignment (e.g. "Translate Drone Left" with key "A").

But for moving the drone camera forward, I used in MSFS Controler Profile my joystick axes moving forward, also assigned to Elevator axes.

How can I assign with FSUIPC7 these two different functions: Elevator axes AND Drone "Translate Drone Forward"  ??

Thanks.

15 hours ago, Alhard Horstmann said:

How can I assign with FSUIPC7 these two different functions: Elevator axes AND Drone "Translate Drone Forward"  ??

You can assign an axis to multiple controls in FSUIPC. However, it is not possible to assign to "Translate Drone Forward" as this event is not exposed by the SDK, and so not available in FSUIPC for assignments.

If there is a K event available, it may be possible to create an assign to a preset for this, but I'm not sure without investigating. I can take a look at this tomorrow 9or Monday), but for the time being it may be easier just to assign your Elevator in FSUIPC and assign to "Translate Drone Forward" in MSFS.

John

On 11/25/2022 at 8:34 PM, Alhard Horstmann said:

You cannot do this as the Translate Drone ... are not axis controls but standard events (not taking any parameters).
Also, as previously stated, these controls (Translate Drone ...) are not available via the SDK for external applications.
They do however have default MSFS key bindings - A=left, D=right, S=back, W=forward. You can assign your axis to send these key strokes on the right hand side of the axes assignment dialog using the control Key Press & Release. To send the A key (translate drone left), for example, the parameter would be 65+8 (where 65 is the VK code for the A key, and 8 indicates a normal key press - see pages 18/19 of the Advanced User guide for a list of VK codes). You could either try setting up different ranges to send the same additional key press the further you move the axis, or you could try sending on repeat in an axis range (or a combination of both). Up to 10 distinct axis ranges can be used.

If you need further assistance, let me know and I could assign here and show you how they look.

John

I have noticed an issue when using the 'Control to repeat whilst in range' option when sending key press and releases. This results in multiple key downs being continually sent when not needed. This seems to be related to how I handle key repeats - I will look into this. Even though this does not cause issues (these down key presses are ignored), it may be better to send single key presses (i.e. no repeat) but do this on several different ranges. 

Anyway, try playing around with this technique and see if you can come up with assignments that work for you.

John

• Thanks 1

On 11/28/2022 at 2:40 PM, John Dowson said:

I have noticed an issue when using the 'Control to repeat whilst in range' option when sending key press and releases. This results in multiple key downs being continually sent when not needed. This seems to be related to how I handle key repeats - I will look into this. Even though this does not cause issues (these down key presses are ignored), it may be better to send single key presses (i.e. no repeat) but do this on several different ranges. 

This will be corrected in the next release. Not sure when this will be, but I can make a beta version available if needed. Just let me know.

On 11/25/2022 at 8:34 PM, Alhard Horstmann said:

I assume you also realise that if doing this, the elevator will also move when you move the drone camera forward...

John

On 11/30/2022 at 6:45 PM, John Dowson said:

This will be corrected in the next release. Not sure when this will be, but I can make a beta version available if needed. Just let me know.

I assume you also realise that if doing this, the elevator will also move when you move the drone camera forward...

John

Hi John, Thanks for your detailed advices.

With MSFS I can use the Controler Axes (Joystick) for moving the Drone.

With your advices above I can do this also. This is what I need.

Please send me the beta version. I wil test asap.

Alhard

Hello John, it works PERFECT.

Now I can move the drone with my Joystick !

here are my  .INI entries after assigning and following your proposal :

• Axes.BB58]
  • 0=AX,256,D,1,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Aileron }-
  • 1=AX,UR,4160,16383,1070,2113    -{ DIRECT: AileronEntering=: A }-
  • 2=AX,DR,-16384,-3984,1070,2116    -{ Entering=: D }-
  • 3=AY,256,D,2,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Elevator }-
  • 4=AY,UR,3808,16383,1070,2135    -{ DIRECT: ElevatorEntering=: W }-
  • 5=AY,DR,-16384,-2667,1070,2131    -{ Entering=: S }-

Thanks, Alhard