The simFlight Network Forums

Cycle Through Fuel Selector Positions?

pilotjohn

Hello,

One of the things I'd like to be able to do is cycle through available fuel selector positions, except OFF (e.g. LEFT, RIGHT, BOTH, LEFT, RIGHT, BOTH) with a single button, ideally usable for all aircraft.

Has anyone done something like this yet?

I tried this in the past with an FSUIPC Lua, but there were challenges (e.g. setting a non-existing selector index would report it set even though the model wouldn't do anything with it).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

J

13 hours ago, pilotjohn said:

One of the things I'd like to be able to do is cycle through available fuel selector positions, except OFF (e.g. LEFT, RIGHT, BOTH, LEFT, RIGHT, BOTH) with a single button, ideally usable for all aircraft.

I doubt  this will be possible for all aircraft (GA, Jets & Airliners), and would also depend on the number of engines, i.e. you would normally have a selector for each engine.
I would start with one aircraft (type) and see what the fuel tank selector offsets hold for that and go from there. You could probably do something clever in lua, checking the number of fuel tank selectors available, etc, but I would do this on an aircaft-by-aircraft basis, or maybe aircraft type (single engine, twin, turbo, etc).

John

11 hours ago, pilotjohn said:

I've tried in the past, but the number of fuels selectors available doesn't seem to have been reliable.

The first thing you need to check is if the aircraft is using the new fuel system or the legacy one, which will determine which offsets or simvars will be used. This is held in offset 0x07A8.
For what simvars are available for each fuel system, you will need to consult the MSFS documentation here: https://docs.flightsimulator.com/flighting/html/Programming_Tools/SimVars/Aircraft_SimVars/Aircraft_Fuel_Variables.htm

I should really add this information to the offset status documentation, i.e. if an offset is holding a simvar from the legacy or the new fuel system. I will make a note and do this for the next release, but for the time being you will have to consult the MSFS documentation to know if a simvar (or offset that holds that simvar) is available for the aircraft being used.

Note also that there are many fuel system simvars not currently held in offsets. They can be added to free offsets if needed, for both reading and writing (if writing to them is possible) - see the Advanced User guide section Adding Simulator variables (simvars) to FSUIPC offsets on page 34 for details,

John