The simFlight Network Forums

Strange myevents.txt behavoir

ark1320

If I delete the 4 last lines commented out below in my myevents.txt file, or if I simply uncomment those 4 lines, I can start FSUIPC7 (ver 7.3.17).  However, if I leave those 4 lines just commented out, I can not start FSUIPC7 even by manually double clicking on FSUJIPC7.exe.  Any ideas why that might be, why the // don't seem to work for those lines -- so strange!  It does not seem to make a difference if the sim is running or not.

And a lesson here is that a problem with the myevents.txt file can prevent FSUIPC7 from starting. It took me a long time to figure out why FSUIPC7 would not start.

Thanks,

Al

// myevents.txt  For my FSUIPC XML Calculator code Presets. See FSUIPC Advanced Users Guide, Pg 48.
// This will be listed in the Key or Button assignment control dropdown lists as Flight_Director_Off if the Select for Preset box is checked.

FLIGHT_DIRECTOR_OFF#(A:AUTOPILOT MASTER, Bool) 0 == (A:AUTOPILOT FLIGHT DIRECTOR ACTIVE, Bool) 1 ==  and if{ (>K:TOGGLE_FLIGHT_DIRECTOR) } // turn off FD if AP off and FD on

// C414 Heater and Fan
TOGGLE_HEATER_SWITCH#(L:CABIN_HEAT,bool) ! (>L:CABIN_HEAT,bool)
TOGGLE_CABIN_FAN#(L:GENERIC_Momentary_CABIN_FAN,Bool) 0 == if{ 1 (>L:GENERIC_Momentary_CABIN_FAN,Bool) }  els{ (L:GENERIC_Momentary_CABIN_FAN,Bool) 1 == if{ 2 (>L:GENERIC_Momentary_CABIN_FAN,Bool) }  els{ 0 (>L:GENERIC_Momentary_CABIN_FAN,Bool) } }

// Next presets for HJet
HJET_PURPLE_MAP_INC#(>H:AS3000_TSC_Vertical_1_Joystick_INC)
HJET_PURPLE_MAP_DEC#(>H:AS3000_TSC_Vertical_1_Joystick_DEC)                                  
HJET_BLUE_MAP_INC#(>H:AS3000_TSC_Vertical_2_Joystick_INC)
HJET_BLUE_MAP_DEC#(>H:AS3000_TSC_Vertical_2_Joystick_DEC)
HJET_ADVANCE_CHECKLIST#(>H:gauges_ha420_sys_Checklist_enter)
HJET_AT_TOGGLE#(L:CSC Pushed, bool) ! (>L:CSC Pushed, bool)
HJET_AT_FMS_MAN_TOGGLE#(L:HJET_THROTTLE_MAN,bool) ! (>L:HJET_THROTTLE_MAN,bool)
//HJET_OBS_CRS_INC#(>H:AS1000_PFD_CRS_INC)
//HJET_OBS_CRS_DEC#(>H:AS1000_PFD_CRS_DEC)
//HJET_AP_ALT_INC#(L:HJET_AP_ALT_VAR, number) 100 + (>L:HJET_AP_ALT_VAR, number)
//HJET_AP_ALT_DEC#(L:HJET_AP_ALT_VAR, number) 100 - (>L:HJET_AP_ALT_VAR, number)

EDIT: After more testing it seems the presence of the # character in a preset that is commented out with // prevents FSUIPC7 from starting. I found one solution to the problem described here is to use the semicolon ; to indicate a comment instead of // as suggested in the FSUIPC7 Advanced Users Guide.  Don't know if this might be text editor dependent for some reason. I use NotePad++.

17 hours ago, ark1320 said:

After more testing it seems the presence of the # character in a preset that is commented out with // prevents FSUIPC7 from starting. I found one solution to the problem described here is to use the semicolon ; to indicate a comment instead of // as suggested in the FSUIPC7 Advanced Users Guide.  Don't know if this might be text editor dependent for some reason. I use NotePad++.

I don't understand this - a line starting with '//' is assumed to be a comment and ignored, regardless of whether the line also contains a # character....

15 hours ago, ark1320 said:

Delete please. Thx.

Can do, but what was the issue?

7 hours ago, John Dowson said:

Can do, but what was the issue?

Hi John,

I 've done some more testing but don't have a conclusion. Here is a pared down test myevents.txt file:

Note the first preset is commented out. The sim is not running, and when I double click on the FSUIPC7.exe file FSUIPC7 does NOT start and I get the log file (partial apparently) shown. If I simply uncomment that first preset, FSUIPC7 also does not start.

// Next presets for HJet

//HJET_AT_TOGGLE#(L:CSC Pushed, bool) ! (>L:CSC Pushed, bool)
HJET_AT_FMS_MAN_TOGGLE#(L:HJET_THROTTLE_MAN,bool) ! (>L:HJET_THROTTLE_MAN,bool)

HJET_OBS_CRS_INC#(>H:AS1000_PFD_CRS_INC)  
HJET_OBS_CRS_DEC#(>H:AS1000_PFD_CRS_DEC)

//currently using the standard MSFS control bindings Increase/Decrease Autopilot Reference Altitude
//HJET_AP_ALT_INC#(L:HJET_AP_ALT_VAR, number) 100 + (>L:HJET_AP_ALT_VAR, number)  
//HJET_AP_ALT_DEC#(L:HJET_AP_ALT_VAR, number) 100 - (>L:HJET_AP_ALT_VAR, number)  

********* FSUIPC7, Version 7.3.17 (25th February 2023) by John Dowson *********
MS Store installation detected: Checking for FS path in 'C:\Users\Al\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\UserCfg.opt'
FS path found = C:\Users\Al\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\
WebSocket server found: C:\Users\Al\Documents\Al's Flight Simulation\AddOns\FSUIPC7\modules\\Utils\FSUIPCWebSocketServer.exe
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit reported as Build 19045, Release ID: 2009 (OS 10.0)
Reading options from "C:\Users\Al\Documents\Al's Flight Simulation\AddOns\FSUIPC7\modules\FSUIPC7.ini"
Checking the Registrations now ...
User Name="Alan Klayton"
User Addr="arklayton@comcast.net"
FSUIPC7 Key is provided
WIDEFS7 not user registered, or expired
       63 System time = 28/02/2023 10:33:58
       63 FLT path = "C:\Users\Al\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\"
       63 Allowing calibration when not assigned with 'Send direct to FSUIPC Calibration'
      156 -------------------------------------------------------------------

If I delete the first commented out preset from myevents.txt and double click on FSUIPC7.exe, FSUIPC7 DOES start and I get the log file below. And if I just uncomment the first preset and also uncomment the last two presets, so no presets are commented out, again FSUIPC7 starts!

********* FSUIPC7, Version 7.3.17 (25th February 2023) by John Dowson *********

MS Store installation detected: Checking for FS path in 'C:\Users\Al\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\UserCfg.opt'
FS path found = C:\Users\Al\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\
WebSocket server found: C:\Users\Al\Documents\Al's Flight Simulation\AddOns\FSUIPC7\modules\\Utils\FSUIPCWebSocketServer.exe
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit reported as Build 19045, Release ID: 2009 (OS 10.0)
Reading options from "C:\Users\Al\Documents\Al's Flight Simulation\AddOns\FSUIPC7\modules\FSUIPC7.ini"
Checking the Registrations now ...
User Name="myName"
User Addr="myEmail"
FSUIPC7 Key is provided
WIDEFS7 not user registered, or expired
       63 System time = 28/02/2023 10:31:55
       63 FLT path = "C:\Users\Al\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\"
       63 Allowing calibration when not assigned with 'Send direct to FSUIPC Calibration'
      157 -------------------------------------------------------------------
      172 10012 Calculator Code presets have been loaded and are available for use
      203 Registered HotKey 'InvokeFSUIPCOptionsKey' (key=0x46, modifier=0x1)
      219 FS path = "C:\Users\Al\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\"
      219 ---------------------- Joystick Device Scan -----------------------
      219 -------------------------------------------------------------------
      344 LogOptions=00000000 00000001

So I don't understand what is going on. For example, why in the first case is deleting that first preset any different than commenting it out? And if FSUIPC7 starts with no presets commented out, why won't it start with some presets commented out?  I get the same results if the sim is running or not, and these presets do work with the HJet.

Are there any rules regarding blank lines in a myevents.txt file?

Thanks,

Al

There is an issue...a mismatch between the loop that calculates the number of lines and the one that populates the presets. This has been corrected in the attached -
blank lines should be ignored. lines starting with '//' and also lines that do not contain a '# character'.  Can you please try with the attached version: FSUIPC7.exe

John

6 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

There is an issue...a mismatch between the loop that calculates the number of lines and the one that populates the presets. This has been corrected in the attached -
blank lines should be ignored. lines starting with '//' and also lines that do not contain a '# character'.  Can you please try with the attached version: FSUIPC7.exe

John

Sure, will try your test version and report back.

Al

32 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

Can you please try with the attached version:

John -- think you fixed it!  I tried commenting out different combinations of presets with // and FSUIPC7 always started when I clicked on the test FSUIP7.exe file. And just in time too, I still have a few hairs left on my head!  😅

I really appreciate you taking the time to look into this issue. I know you are very busy.

Best,

Al

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to confirm what Al found. The attached version from John fixes the problem that after editing events.txt or myevents.txt, FSUIPC will not start, depending on some random character constellations in the files.

Like Al, I spent the better part of a day to think that it cannot be possible that a program (FSUIPC) will no longer start right at the beginning of the log file, after it worked for more than 10 years. But the attached FSUIPC.exe fixes it. I think this change would be very good to include in the next version of FSUIPC.

Thank you John for your support and Al for spending time as the "detective" 😉.

Klaus