The simFlight Network Forums

Not Recognizing CH Throttle Quad Name

Hi,

Maybe a small problem but vexing.  New Win 11 machine. Installed Steam versions of FSX and MSFS.  Long time user of FSX, new to MSFS.  Problem is FSUIPC.ini files in both FSUIPC4 and FSUIP7 do not display the name, "CH THROTTLE QUADRANT" with the associated GUID.  Windows sees my CH Yoke, Pedals and Throttle Quad.  .ini files append USB to the recognized products.  Can I just plug in the missing name for the associated GUID since the GUID numbers seem correct?

Attaching, scan, logs and .ini files from both installations.  Please advise,

Thanks,

Jim Driskell

FSUIPC7.log FSUIPC7.JoyScan.csv FSUIPC7.ini FSUIPC4.log FSUIPC4.JoyScan.csv FSUIPC4.ini

15 hours ago, jdriskell said:

Can I just plug in the missing name for the associated GUID since the GUID numbers seem correct?

No. This information is taken from your Windows registry, and the reason why it is blank is due to the GUID assigned to the CH THROTTLE QUADRANT being the same as two entries for xbox 360 controllers:

,,, REGscanning completed

N, x00, x28DE, x11FF, , -1, 1, 0, {NULL}, {E4C16590-E101-11ED-8006-444553540000}, {E4C16590-E101-11ED-8006-444553540000}, Y, Y
N, x00, x068E, x00FA, CH THROTTLE QUADRANT, -1, 1, 0, {NULL}, {E4C16590-E101-11ED-8006-444553540000}, {E4C16590-E101-11ED-8006-444553540000}, Y, Y
N, x00, x28DE, x11FF, , -1, 1, 0, {NULL}, {E4C16590-E101-11ED-8006-444553540000}, {E4C16590-E101-11ED-8006-444553540000}, Y, Y

There you can see two xbox controllers and your CH THROTTLE QUADRANT having the same GUID and the same id assigned. The empty name is being taken from one of those xbox entries.

Are you actually using two xbox controllers? If not, the solution would be to remove those entries from your registry. I can help you with this if needed. If they get added back after removal, you may need to remove the CH THROTTLE QUADRANT entry as well (it will get added back once its reconnected), but first try removing those xbox entries. Once they have been removed, reboot then start FSUIPC7 (no need to start MSFS) and take a look at your log and ini files again. If they show any issues, post/attach them here again.

John

Hi John,

New machine, didn't realize xBox controllers were active.  Please suggest the method to remove these devices.  I don't ever intend to use them.  FSUIPC did recognize the throttle quad early on but I think setting up MSFS may have activated the xBox controllers. 

Thanks,

Jim

First, open the windows regedit program and take a back-up of your registry and exit - you should always take a back-up of your registry before making any changes. Next download and run (i.e. double-click in Windows Explorer) the attached .reg file - this will remove the current registry entries for those xbox devices.
Then,  reboot your PC and start FSUIPC7 and look at the log file to see if this has corrected the issue. If not, please show me your updated files (for FSUIPC7 only - they should be the same in FSUIPC4 but if not we can look at that later).

John

removeXboxDevices.reg

I also posted this yesterday - but in the wrong thread (sorry about that!) :

I also found other threads with the same issue, e,g, 

So I don't think the solution I proposed will work, but please still try that and let me know. Seems to be an issue with this device for some reason. if this doesn't work, which I suspect due to the other posts on this issue, I will take another deeper look next week sometime.

John

Hi John,

Thanks for your help.  I'll work on the problem.  I currently have the Steam version of MSFS but I'm going to uninstall it and get the Microsoft Store version.  I'll check my assignments after I removed the Steam version.  Maybe that's the problem.

Enjoy the weekend.

Jim

37 minutes ago, jdriskell said:

I'll work on the problem.

Try changing the id from 1 to 3 for the CH throttle, using the JoyIds program, as advised.

39 minutes ago, jdriskell said:

I currently have the Steam version of MSFS but I'm going to uninstall it and get the Microsoft Store version.  I'll check my assignments after I removed the Steam version.  Maybe that's the problem.

The problem is nothing to do with MSFS - you have the same problem with FSX. It is a registry issue, and looks to be common with that throttle. I would recommend you stick to the Steam version - the store version uses a complicated system of links which did cause issues with some add-ons and when updating, although I think these have been resolved by now. But there is no point changing, especially if it is for this issue.

John

John,

Apparently the JoyIds tool isn't available on airgroup51.ne or I don't have the permission to get it.  I don't have a login on that site and the registration function is disabled.  Is the tool available elsewhere or is there another way to change the id of the throttle quad?

Jim

John,

I did a search of the Registry looking for VID_28DE&PID_11FF which I think represents the xBox controller.  Can't find that value anywhere but when I reinitialize FSUIPC4, I get the same results, missing CH Throttle Quad name and the obvious conflict.  The log and scan still pick up the xBox controller.  I guess I could spring for another manufacturer's throttle quad but I'd rather try fo fix this problem.

Jim

Apparently the JoyIds tool isn't available on airgroup51.ne or I don't have the permission to get it.  I don't have a login on that site and the registration function is disabled.  Is the tool available elsewhere or is there another way to change the id of the throttle quad?

It is available from here.

12 hours ago, jdriskell said:

I did a search of the Registry looking for VID_28DE&PID_11FF which I think represents the xBox controller. 

Leave that. Its the id of the CH throttle that you want to change.

12 hours ago, jdriskell said:

I guess I could spring for another manufacturer's throttle quad but I'd rather try fo fix this problem.

Its more of an annoyance than a problem, no? You can still assign to and use the throttle, it is just that the name is empty in the FSUIPC logs and ini files.

John

Hi John,

Tried the JoyId program, switched the Throttle Quad to #3, reran FSUIPC4 and got basically the same result as indicated by the attached files.  Switched the id back and will go ahead without the name as you suggest.  I will identify the three CH controls as Y, Q and P as I've always done and see how they work.

I the problem must be with the xBox app on my Win 11 box.  I've never used this app before and don't plan on using it now.  Maybe I'll uninstall it.

Have you encountered this problem before?

Thanks for your help.

Jim

FSUIPC4.log FSUIPC4.JoyScan.csv FSUIPC4.ini

Hi John,

I think I know what caused the conflicts between the CH Throttle Quad and the xBox virtual controllers on my new Dell XPS 8950 Win11 machine.  I don't know why!

I setup Steam and the Steam FSX system first.  When I first ran FSUIPC4, i got a clean FSUIPC4.ini file which I've attached.  Sometime later, I installed the Steam Microsoft Flight Simulator system.  Then I started having trouble.  The description of the Throttle Quad disappeared.   I don't know if the xBox and xBox Game Bar were installed then, but I think they are causing the problems. 

I talked to CH Products.  They haven't heard of this problem.  I've lodged questions on AVSIM about the hardware conflict but haven't gotten any feedback.

In any event, I'll go ahead with what I have and let you know how it works.

Jim

FSUIPC4.ini.org

Hi John,

Hate to keep bothering your but I've got a new problem.  I dumped the Steam version of MFSF, installed the Microsoft Store version, installed FSUIPC7 but the new installation keeps looking for the old steam version, wanting to install it when I start FSUIPC7,  Uninstalled FSUIPC7 using the uninstaller with the package, rebooted and reinstalled it but it's still looking for the steam version which isn't installed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim

16 hours ago, jdriskell said:

Tried the JoyId program, switched the Throttle Quad to #3, reran FSUIPC4 and got basically the same result as indicated by the attached files. 

This also change the id of those phantom xbox controller registry entries to 3:

N, x00, x28DE, x11FF, , -1, 3, 0, {NULL}, {E4C16590-E101-11ED-8006-444553540000}, {E4C16590-E101-11ED-8006-444553540000}, Y, Y
N, x00, x068E, x00FA, CH THROTTLE QUADRANT, -1, 3, 0, {NULL}, {E4C16590-E101-11ED-8006-444553540000}, {E4C16590-E101-11ED-8006-444553540000}, Y, Y
N, x00, x28DE, x11FF, , -1, 3, 0, {NULL}, {E4C16590-E101-11ED-8006-444553540000}, {E4C16590-E101-11ED-8006-444553540000}, Y, Y

This would indicate that those entries are somehow related to your CH throttle quadrant. Do you have any specific drivers or other software running for this device? If so, you can try uninstalling that, reboot and let windows install default drivers and then try again. If you are already using windows drivers for this device, then maybe ask on CH support about this issue.

Switched the id back and will go ahead without the name as you suggest.

Ok, I don't see a problem if it woeks as expected, and only the name is missing. This is only shown in the log and ini files anyway, and should not affect functionality.

Have you encountered this problem before?

Yes, the exact same issue has been reported at least once (and probably several times) before - see an earlier comment where I referenced one of these threads.

I setup Steam and the Steam FSX system first.  When I first ran FSUIPC4, i got a clean FSUIPC4.ini file which I've attached.  Sometime later, I installed the Steam Microsoft Flight Simulator system.  Then I started having trouble.  The description of the Throttle Quad disappeared.   I don't know if the xBox and xBox Game Bar were installed then, but I think they are causing the problems. 

Ok, that is interesting...I know there are some controller settings in steam, but I have never used or looked into these. I think you need the xBox app installed if usinf MSFS even oon Steam, but not sure about the xbox game bar...

6 hours ago, jdriskell said:

Hate to keep bothering your but I've got a new problem. 

No bother...

6 hours ago, jdriskell said:

I dumped the Steam version of MFSF, installed the Microsoft Store version, installed FSUIPC7 but the new installation keeps looking for the old steam version, wanting to install it when I start FSUIPC7,  Uninstalled FSUIPC7 using the uninstaller with the package, rebooted and reinstalled it but it's still looking for the steam version which isn't installed.

There will be remnants of the steam installation installed under your user' AppData folder. You need to remove (or rename)  this file (its presence will indicate a steam installation for the FSUIPC7 installer): $APPDATA\Microsoft Flight Simulator\UserCfg.opt
(where $APPDATA points to your user' AppData folder, usually C:\Users\<accountName>\AppData)

John

Hi John,

I found an entry in the UserCfg.opt file pointing to the Steam MSFS Content directory, "InstalledPackagesPath "G:\MSFS Content" and removed it.  Reinstalled FSUIPC7 and got the same result, looking for the Steam edition.  Steam has been giving me problems since the start, so I uninstalled all of Steam and will try installing FSUIPC7 again later today.

I've attached the files for your review.

Jim

InstallFSUIPC7.log UserCfg - Copy.opt

Tried again. Got same result.  System still thinks Steam MSFS is installed.  Started FSUIPC7, got error message, Couldn't find Steam, said to go to "Default Apps Page."  Microsoft Flight Simulator not listed.  Could this be the problem?

Jim

Please look at your installation log. This was your problem:

Determing Community folder for Steam install
File C:\Users\jmdri\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\UserCfg.opt opened OK

Remove that file...(sorry, missed the Roaming sub-folder in my previous message)

Also, as you have switched MSFS versions, you must manually uninstall FSUIPC7 before re-installing - you can do this either via the windows app management panel or by running/double-clicking the uninstaller file uninstallFSUIPC7.exe. If you don't do this first, your previous installation details will be taken from your registry.

Hi John,

Worked as advertised.  I did find the UserCfg.opt file previously but wasn't certain that I should delete all the video card entries.  Now looks like everything is working.

Your (and previously your father's) sense of customer service is a bright place in what is a rather confused world.  Great work!!

Now I need to get FSUIPC controlling MSFS and I'll be done.

Thanks again, and take the rest of the day off!

Jim

Hi John,

Another note for follow up.  I removed Steam and FSX from my machine.  The xBox conflict disappeared giving a clean FSUIPC scan.  Maybe the previously deleting the Steam version of MSFS left some trash somewhere, fooling the FSUIPC scan.

I installed the Microsoft Store version and so far everything look OK.  I'm attaching the scan file for your information.

What do you think about adding the xBox reg entries back on my machine, or should I let sleeping dogs lie?

Jim

FSUIPC7.JoyScan.csv

1 hour ago, jdriskell said:

What do you think about adding the xBox reg entries back on my machine

Why would you even consider doing that, as it is those entries that were causing your problem? You don't want to re-introduce the same issue, which wasn't actually causing any functional problems, that you have gone at lengths to resolve...

John

Hi John,

Another weekend, but has Micamber said, "Things are looking up."  I think I understand why I was having so much trouble with the missing Throttle Quad in the scan and the pesky xBox controllers impinging on my FSUIPC install.  After getting a clean scan for FSUIPC and MSFS described above, I decided to re-install the Steam version of FSX since I have a lot of time and money invested in that old system.  Bad idea!  The registry conflict reappeared as evidenced by the missing Throttle Quad when I installed FSUIPC  4.997 into FSX - Steam.  So I uninstalled FSX and Steam and the problem is gone.  I get a clean scan with MSFS and FSUIPC7 so something within the Steam version is the problem.

I'll stick with MSFS. 

Jim