The simFlight Network Forums

Aileron assignment in DA62

N987PL

First of all, I can't find another posting about FSUIPC and the DA62 in MSFS, so I'm posting here as a first pass attempt to be in the right place...

For the life of me, I can't get the correct bindings for the aileron axis in the DA62.  Everything works (not sure why my two throttles are mapped differently, but they work fine) except the aileron axis.  I'm happy to direct this elsewhere on the forum if I'm not in the right place, but any information that you can offer to help would be most appreciated.  Attached .ini and .log.

Thanks in advance

FSUIPC7.log FSUIPC7.ini

1 hour ago, N987PL said:

First of all, I can't find another posting about FSUIPC and the DA62 in MSFS, so I'm posting here as a first pass attempt to be in the right place...

If you can't find an existing topic, please create a new one with a relevant title, rather than posting in another topic that has nothing to do with your issue. I have moved your post to a new topic.

2 hours ago, N987PL said:

Everything works (not sure why my two throttles are mapped differently, but they work fine)

Throttle2 (Direct) will use AXIS_THROTTLE2_SET, so the settings are basically the same. The only difference will be that Throttle2 will be calibrated before being sent to the FS, and Throttle1 will be sent uncalibrated, received back and masked, calibrated and then resent. Probably better to have them both assigned the same way though.

Not sure why the Aileron assignment isn't working though - assigning direct to Aileron works fine here. If you go to the axis assignment calibration tab, do you see the axis/in-out values change for the aileron?

You can also try logging Axis Controls (Log -> Axis Controls) open the logging console (Log -> Open Console) and see if you can see the aileron axis values being sent. You may see a lot of LIGHT_POTENTIOMETER_SET events logged - you can ignore these by adding
    DontLogThese=67227
to the [Profile.DA62X] section of your FSUIPC7.ini file.

Please report back what you find, and maybe also attach your log again, if relevant.

I am finishing now for the day - I may take another look tomorrow, but if not it will be on Monday now.

John

So the aileron controls are being sent to the sim, so I so not understand why they are having no affect. Do you not see the joystick on the DA62 moving left/right when you do this?
If not, I don't know what can be causing this as it seems to work just fine here. Do you have any mods installed for the DA62?

That was it.  Sorry for wasting your time.  One other question however.  I turned axis logging off on the FSUIPC console, but when I run FSUIPC before starting MSFS now, I still get the logging screen instead of the UI as before.  Anything extra I need to do except uncheck axis logging in the console?

1 hour ago, N987PL said:

That was it.  Sorry for wasting your time. 

Ok. Strange an improvement mod would do that. I will take a look at that mod when I get a chance...

1 hour ago, N987PL said:

when I run FSUIPC before starting MSFS now, I still get the logging screen instead of the UI as before. 

The console window is open until you close it, using the Log -> Close Console menu option.

FSUIPC7 always starts iconised to your system tray, unless you always want to displau the main window when it is started by adding the following to your FSUIPC7.ini:
    OpenOnStart=Yes
To show/hide the main window, you can use the (default) hot-key assignment Alt+F.

You should at least read the User guide to familiarise yourself with the FSUIPC7 basics....

John

Yes, I know the regular FSUIPC UI shows and minimizes when I start it, but the attached only starting happening when I selected Axis Logs.  I unselected that option in the alt f control menu, but am still getting this view instead of the normal FSUIPC logo screen I used to.  Hopefully I'm explaining myself correctly.

FSUIPC_Start7.23.png

1 hour ago, N987PL said:

Hopefully I'm explaining myself correctly.

No...that is the logging console. As I said, you close that using  the Log -> Close Console menu option. Sorry, but I don't understand what is so complicated about this...
The logging console is open when requested, and stays open until you close it....

On 7/10/2023 at 7:06 PM, N987PL said:

That was it.  Sorry for wasting your time.  One other question however.  I turned axis logging off on the FSUIPC console, but when I run FSUIPC before starting MSFS now, I still get the logging screen instead of the UI as before.  Anything extra I need to do except uncheck axis logging in the console?

This “issue” started with the latest release from the Mods creator. He does mention in the documentation that LVARS have to be used now to make the ailerons work in MSFS when using the mod. 
However I have not found anything to show me how exactly I need to do that. 
I still had the last version of this Mod on my drive so I simply did go back to that one. Hopefully someone can come up with a how-to for dummies specifically for the DA62 ailerons using LVARS 

19 minutes ago, Sunny9850 said:

He does mention in the documentation that LVARS have to be used now to make the ailerons work in MSFS when using the mod. 

To assign an axis to an lvar, you need to create a preset. First, you need to determine what the maximum and minimum values that the lvar takes, and you must also know the maximum and minimum values the axis sends. The preset, which you need to add to your myevents.txt file (create this if not present) will then take the form
     DA62 Aileron#@ <conversion> (>L:lvarname)
where
     <conversion> - is the RPM code to convert the axis input value range to that expected by the lvar
     lvarname - is the name of the lvar that controls the aileron position
You can then check the Select for Preset in the top-right of the axis assignment panel and assign your axis to the preset DA62 Aileron.

To see how this works, take a look at this comment where I show how to assign an axis to an lvar for the ATR to control the condition lever: 

If you have difficulties with this, if you let me know your axis range and the range of values expected by the lvar as well as the lvar name, I can help you define the preset.

John

58 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

If you have difficulties with this, if you let me know your axis range and the range of values expected by the lvar as well as the lvar name, I can help you define the preset.

Hi John,
thanks for the additional information. I am not at the FS PC at the moment so I can not try it out. But here is the relevant info from the mod creators readme....he is referencing SPADNext here ... so not sure if that is 100% applicable.

SPADNext users must use Lvars for the Rudder and Aileron

L:INPUT_AILERON, percent; -100 - +100
L:INPUT_RUDDER_S, percent; -100 - +100

I will try your suggestions tonight and if I am still proving myself to dense for it, may take you up on your offer for further help 😄 

Thanks
Sunny

1 hour ago, Sunny9850 said:

L:INPUT_AILERON, percent; -100 - +100
L:INPUT_RUDDER_S, percent; -100 - +100

Ok - as the lvar value range is -100 -+100, and your axis has the standard axis range of -16384 - +16384, then the preset would be:
    DA62 Aileron#@ 163.84 / (>L:INPUT_AILERON)
i.e. divide the axis value by 163.84 to get a range between -100 - +100.

You can also use a similar preset for the rudder:

DA62 Rudder#@ 163.84 / (>L:INPUT_RUDDER_S)

John

I think after 40 years of FS in all its forms and 4 real certificates I am finding myself too stupid for this little excercise 😄 

In the other posts you mention events.txt and had included a recent version of that file and a myevents.txt . 
Are those really two separate files or just a typo and it only needs to be in one or the other ?? 

//ASOBO/DA62/MrTommyMod
DA62 Aileron#@ 163.84 / (>L:INPUT_AILERON)
DA62 Rudder#@ 163.84 / (>L:INPUT_RUDDER_S)

I have added this to the events.txt in my FSUIPC folder and when doing the axis assignment a DA62 aileron now is a available on the left side of the FSUIPC window. So i think that part is not too far off.
On the right I tick select for Preset and then OK. 
But when I open it back up that Preset selection is no longer there.

I tried to upload a picture of that, but I guess I am only allowed 20kB.
Restarted FSUIPC and Restarted the Sim, in case that matters. 

OK...now I am totally frustrated with this and call it a day. 

Cheers
Sunny

12 hours ago, Sunny9850 said:

In the other posts you mention events.txt and had included a recent version of that file and a myevents.txt . 
Are those really two separate files or just a typo and it only needs to be in one or the other ?? 

They are separate files. Please consult the documentation for such questions (Advanced User manual, in WASM section).
The events.txt file contains the MobiFlight presets. You can add presets there but they will be removed the next time you install/update FSUIPC7 as this file will get overwritten/re-installed. This is why the myevents.txt file is also needed, for user-specific presets, and why I said to add this to the myevents.txt file, and not the evemts.txt file. Please follow my instructions, as well as consulting the provided documentation. I am not going to repeat everything in the documentation when answering support requests...

12 hours ago, Sunny9850 said:

I have added this to the events.txt in my FSUIPC folder and when doing the axis assignment a DA62 aileron now is a available on the left side of the FSUIPC window. So i think that part is not too far off.
On the right I tick select for Preset and then OK. 
But when I open it back up that Preset selection is no longer there.

This doesn't make sense. How can this be available before you check Select for Preset - you should only see standard FS controls/events before this is checked and no presets, and one you check Select for Preset why are you clicking OK? 

Add the preset definition to the myevents.txt file as I said (and remove it from your ecents.txt file). Then start MSFS and FSUIPC7. Load your aircraft and open the axis assignment panel. Move the axis control you want to assign, If the axis is already assigned, click the Clear button. Then check Select for Preset (top-tight) and also Send to FS as normal axis.  Then click the checkbox next to the first assignment drop-down on the left hand side, click the drop-down menu and you should see a list of presets (the drop-down may take a second or two to load so be patient). Then select your preset from the the drop-down, and then click Ok.

When assigning presets to an axis, you must always also check Send to FS as normal axis. I will make this clearer or maybe mandatory...

10 hours ago, John Dowson said:

and why I said to add this to the myevents.txt file, and not the evemts.txt file. Please follow my instructions, as well as consulting the provided documentation.

My apologies after about 15 tries to make this work I simply wanted to make sure it wasn't simply a misunderstanding on my part or a typo, that kept it from working for me. 
I have worked in technical support both in the field and using remote diagnosis on Million-Dollar lines for almost 38 years now. And sometimes asking a simple question can save thousands of dollars and countless hours. 

10 hours ago, John Dowson said:

How can this be available before you check Select for Preset - you should only see standard FS controls/events before this is checked and no presets, and one you check Select for Preset why are you clicking OK? 

I got the order wrong here since I was getting highly annoyed that this "supposedly simple" task was not working at all. 

I have cleared the entries from the events.txt and made a myevents.txt and pasted in these lines, the second set because the modified DA62 shows up with that name in FSUIPC.
That is all there is in that file at this point....

//ASOBO/DA62/MrTommyMod

//ASOBO/DA62NX/MrTommyMod
DA62NX Aileron#@ 163.84 / (>L:INPUT_AILERON)
DA62NX Rudder#@ 163.84 / (>L:INPUT_RUDDER_S)

Once the sim was started and the aircraft loaded in an active flight,cold and dark on the ramp I opened FSUIPC and the Axis Assignment Window.

1. Move the aileron axis on the Bravo
2. check "Select for Preset" on the right hand side
3. select "send to FS as normal axis" on the left hand side
4.click in the first pull down and select DA62 Aileron or DA62NX Aileron
5.Click OK 

Try it in the sim ..... still doesn't work with either of those or the rudder. 
What I was asking about the "Select for Preset" was that is is "unchecked" once I do go back in the FSUIPC window to see what is or is not showing there. But this may well be normal.

Anything in that description that screems "bloody idiot that is not how to do it" ?? 

15 hours ago, Sunny9850 said:

//ASOBO/DA62/MrTommyMod

DA62NX Aileron#@ 163.84 / (>L:INPUT_AILERON)
DA62NX Rudder#@ 163.84 / (>L:INPUT_RUDDER_S)

Why define these twice? As the preset/calc.code is the same, you should just define once and use for both versions of the aircraft.

What I was asking about the "Select for Preset" was that is is "unchecked" once I do go back in the FSUIPC window to see what is or is not showing there. But this may well be normal.

This is how it currently works - I will correct this at some point, when I get time...

Anything in that description that screems "bloody idiot that is not how to do it" ?? 

First, check that you are using the latest (and only supported) version of FSUIPC7, which is 7.3.21. If not, please update and try again.

Of it is still not working, it will be due to one of 3 things:
1. The lvars are not updateable. To check this, use the Add-ins->WASM->Set Lvar menu oprion to manually set the lvar values, and see if the aileron/rudder position changes when you do this.

2. The calculator code/assignment is not correct. To check this, activate logging for Axes Controls, and WAPI -> Debug logging. Open the logging  console (Log -> Open console) and move your assigned axis, and see if you can see the correct preset/calculator code being sent.

3. The code is not being applied by the WASM. To check this, activate debug level logging in the WASM and see what calculator code is logged in the WASM log file.

Any issues, you can post/attach your log files and ini file here and I can take a look.

John

On 7/22/2023 at 12:38 PM, John Dowson said:

Why define these twice? As the preset/calc.code is the same, you should just define once and use for both versions of the aircraft.

I tried both because the MOD aircraft does show with that description in FSUIPCs interface so I wanted to simply make sure one or the other would be available in the selection. 
I have deleted one of these now. 

I have the latest FSUIPC version installed now, but it had been only 7.3.10 when I started with this.

1. LVars Update manually....I see that something happens in the console but nothing in the aircraft in the sim.
2.WAP\Debug ... Unfortunately I have Axis Contrl 67227 constantly changing between Param 12 and 13 so I do not see this nice and clean, but moving the aileron full left the value slowly increases to 16381 and full right goes to -16830 before axis 67227 overwrites it all again. 
3. I have to read the manual on that one...since I am not quite sure how to create this log file. Then I may give this another shot.

For now I have simply created a new control profile in MSFS and assigned the aileron axis there ...this works for now. 

As I had mentioned I have a rather demanding job of a highly technical nature. FS is supposed to be the relief from that since real flying is not so easy to come by anymore since I moved back to Germany from CA. 
And having to fiddle with this for hours just to fly a little doesn't really make sense to me. 

Thanks for trying to make this work, but at least for now I am not going to waste any more of your time. 

Cheers
Sunny

11 hours ago, Sunny9850 said:

1. LVars Update manually....I see that something happens in the console but nothing in the aircraft in the sim.

Does the lvar actually change value? Uoi can use the Add->ons->WASM->List Lvars menu option to see the lvar values.

2.WAP\Debug ... Unfortunately I have Axis Contrl 67227 constantly changing between Param 12 and 13 so I do not see this nice and clean, but moving the aileron full left the value slowly increases to 16381 and full right goes to -16830 before axis 67227 overwrites it all again. 

You can remove such messages that are continually sent by adding
    DontLogThese=67227
to the [Genera;] or (better, as such messages are aircraft dependant) to your [Profile.xxx] section.

3. I have to read the manual on that one...since I am not quite sure how to create this log file. Then I may give this another shot.

The log file is always created - you just need to change the logging level by setting
   LogLevel=Debug
in your FSUIPC_WASM.ini file.

Are any presets working for you? This really should not be that complicated....

I will install the mod later and check that this is working....

John

I have just installed the DA62X improvement mod and tested this, and it is working as expected - well, nearly. The only problem is that the aileron axis is reversed, so the presets need changing to the following to account for this:

DA62X Aileron#@ -163.84 / (>L:INPUT_AILERON)
DA62X Rudder#@ -163.84 / (>L:INPUT_RUDDER_S)

Otherwise it works as expected. This is my aileron assignment to the preset:

image.png.bb7b36c98894457c87969ccb901595a1.png

John

OK...seeing how you are not giving up, I can't quite leave it at that either. 
But since it did not work despite doing exactly what you described and because I got two errors when the update to the latest release ran, even though they were only related to documentation, I decided to uninstall FSUIPC and then do a reinstall to the default location, which before I had not used. 

And the first thing I saw in the FSUIPC window, before even entering the AXIS assignemtns was a line showing 902 LVars, 134 Hvars and 10980 presets loaded. 
That was not showing there before. 

So I copied your modified myevents entry into mine and then restarted MSFS and FSUIPC one more time, just to be sure it was a clean start. 
Then I set up the throttles, brakes and elevator as before using the "direct to FSUIPC" and the aileron and rudder using the preset. 

And this time it did work. I can only assume that something in my installation was not allowing some of that information to pass back and forth.  
Being a curious one I then tried to repeat the tests you had asked before, to update the LVars manually....and that now did work. And the list also was populated with the 902 LVars ... I guess that should have been my clue, when before I only had an empty list. 

But now when I do the "2. The calculator code/assignment is not correct. To check this, activate logging for Axes Controls, and WAPI -> Debug logging. Open the logging  console (Log -> Open console) and move your assigned axis, and see if you can see the correct preset/calculator code being sent."  the console does not show anything for aileron or rudder....but they work in the aircraft. 
Elevator or brake axis is shown in the console window. 

But I am perfectly happy not understanding that part for now and will just go fly a lap or two. 
Thanks for your gracious help John. I am sorry if I was the kind of dense customer I hate in my own job. 

Cheers
Sunny