The simFlight Network Forums

Offset Byte Toggle Bits works with Button but not with Key-Press?

I'm trying to fool one of my Add-ons into believing that one of the aircraft doors is open when in fact it's still closed. This is needed for the Add-on to work and doesn't influence my PMDG 747 since the aircraft logic uses its own offsets for doors anyway. In order to achieve this I use the "Offset Byte Toggle Bits" Command on the 0x3367 offset in FSUIPC and hand over the bit to toggle as a parameter. This works flawlessly on all doors if I use a joystick button to trigger the toggling (at least on the most important ones since the aircraft has 10 doors but the byte has only 8 bits to toggle). The problem is now that I don't have 8 buttons to spare for the toggling of individual doors, hence I use key-combos  (SHIFT-1, ... SHIFT-10). However, if I try use the very same Offset Toggle Bit commands with these key-combos as a trigger nothing seems to happen. This puzzles me a little since the logic of the FSUIPC-command should be independent of the trigger so I'd expect the toggling to work either with both or none of the triggers. What do I miss here? Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kind regards, draci

10 hours ago, draci said:

This puzzles me a little since the logic of the FSUIPC-command should be independent of the trigger so I'd expect the toggling to work either with both or none of the triggers.

This is correct - the control is independent of what triggers it (a button or keypress).

10 hours ago, draci said:

What do I miss here? Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Can you please activate logging for Buttons & Keys and Events. If you then open the logging console (check the Send to console window checkbox) you should then be able to see what is happening both when you press an assigned button or an assigned key.

If you cannot see what is happening, you can post/attach your FSUIPC6.log and FSUIPC6.ini files here and I can take a look,

John

Thanks John for helping me. I realised that the problem is in fact the SHIFT-key. If I use key-combos without SHIFT (eg. TAB-1, TAB-2, .., etc) the toggling works fine as if I used a button. However, I didn't know that the SHIFT-key doesn't work in FSUIPC commands. Is there a special reason for that?

Kind regards, Maik

10 minutes ago, draci said:

However, I didn't know that the SHIFT-key doesn't work in FSUIPC commands. Is there a special reason for that?

The shift key does work as a key modifier. Why do you think it doesn't?

Please show me/attach your FSUIPC ini and log files if you continue to have issues.

John