The simFlight Network Forums

Using part of axis range as full range in MSFS

IngvarrZaag

Hi

I have Virpil MongoosT50-CM3 throttle. It has this feature that you can attach detentes and locks so you have to lift the special levers to move the throttle all to way to zero.

It works great with airplanes with thrust reverse as I have to lift the levers to get the reverse and the idle thrust is on throttle lock.

The problem is with BAe-146. It doesn't have the thrust reverse and as I found some info on this forum, the thrust axes should be configured as THROTTLEn_AXIS_SET_EX1.

But with the lock attached to get idle in this plane I have to lift the levers.

Is there any option to set the axis range for example: throttle move from 20% to 100%, but FSUIPC sends 0-100%?

Thanks.

13 hours ago, IngvarrZaag said:

Is there any option to set the axis range for example: throttle move from 20% to 100%, but FSUIPC sends 0-100%?

You should be able to do this in the FSUIPC7 calibration tab. Just set the lower limit at your throttle 20% position.

Any issues I can check tomorrow - I am travelling today.

John

I've tried several times to do this through calibration tab and it doesn't work at all.

This is my calibration tab:

https://imgur.com/QmrvMbg

and this is how setting throttles to minimum looks in the sim:

https://imgur.com/QIwPBCq

INI sections for this plane below. I've tried to see if there is any difference if I set one axis as "Send to FS as normal axis" and the other as "Send direct to FSUIPC Calibration".

There is no difference in behaviour in sim.

[Axes.BAe146]
RangeRepeatRate=10
0=BR,256,F,66382,0,0,0,*-1    -{ TO SIM: AXIS_SPOILER_SET }-
1=BU,1,F,67103,67110,0,0,*-1    -{ TO SIM: THROTTLE1_AXIS_SET_EX1, THROTTLE2_AXIS_SET_EX1 }-
2=BV,1,D,11,12,0,0,*-1    -{ DIRECT: Throttle3, Throttle4 }-

[JoystickCalibration.BAe146]
AllowSuppressForPFCquad=Yes
ExcludeThrottleSet=Yes
ExcludeMixtureSet=Yes
ExcludePropPitchSet=Yes
SepRevsJetsOnly=No
ApplyHeloTrim=No
UseAxisControlsForNRZ=No
FlapsSetControl=0
FlapDetents=No
ReverserControl=66292
Reverser1Control=66422
Reverser2Control=66425
Reverser3Control=66428
Reverser4Control=66431
MaxThrottleForReverser=256
AileronTrimControl=66731
RudderTrimControl=66732
CowlFlaps1Control=66162
CowlFlaps2Control=66163
CowlFlaps3Control=66164
CowlFlaps4Control=66165
SteeringTillerControl=0
MaxSteerSpeed=60
RudderBlendLowest=1
Spoilers=-16264,-13220,16133,16264/16
Flaps=-16248,16220
Throttle1=-12594,-12490,-12364,16383/32
Throttle2=-12471,12596,12596,16383/32
Throttle3=-12593,-512,512,16383/32
Throttle4=-12594,-512,512,16383/32

Thank you.

Can you first check that you are using the latest version of FSUIPC7 (7.3.21) as calibration when using Send to FS as normal axis was disabled for a time in earlier versions.
If you get the same issue, please activate logging for Axes Controls and Extras (no others), and generate a short (but complete)  log file - load aircraft, move throttle to max then back to min then exit FSUIPC7). Then show me/attach your FSUIPC7.log file, together with your FSUIPC7.ini file.

12 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

(but complete)  log file - load aircraft, move throttle to max then back to min then exit FSUIPC7).

Before exiting, could you move the throttle in the VC down to the min position so that I can see what value it is using for this position. Thanks.

You can also try unchecking the NRZ checkbox in the calibration tab, which should allow a value of -4096 to be sent (rather than 0) when the throttle is in the min position. That should move the throttle down further, but probably not to the min position. If you can determine what the min position value is, we can skip calibration and use axis scaling instead...

I've checked the version and it's 7.3.21 from 9th June.

I'm attaching the zip file with the log and INI file. Password to the file has been send as private message.

I've unchecked NRZ checkbox,  started MSFS, loaded the plane, moved throttles from idle (idle, not full minimum) to max and back. Then moved my throttles all the way to minimum.

I've also checked the third axis, used to deploy air brakes, because I've noticed that it works from the middle, not in full motion range.

Thanks

fsuipc.zip

To try with axis scaling, remove any calibration (click the Reset button in the calibration tabs) and with FSUIPC7 not running add the following to the end of your axis assignment line (highlighted in bold):

21 hours ago, IngvarrZaag said:

1=BU,1,F,67103,67110,0,0,*-1.25,-4096    -{ TO SIM: THROTTLE1_AXIS_SET_EX1, THROTTLE2_AXIS_SET_EX1 }-

That should scale a 20-100% axis range (-9830 to +16383) to the full axis range (-16384 to +16383).

11 minutes ago, IngvarrZaag said:

I'm attaching the zip file with the log and INI file.

First, your log file is not a complete log file, it is a continuation log file. As I said, I need to see a complete log file, i.e. do NOT use the New Log feature.

Second, your assignments are not correct:

[Axes.BAe146]
RangeRepeatRate=10
0=BR,256,F,65786,0,0,0    -{ TO SIM: SPOILERS_SET }-
1=BU,256,D,9,10,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Throttle1, Throttle2 }-
2=BV,256,F,67117,67124,0,0    -{ TO SIM: THROTTLE3_AXIS_SET_EX1, THROTTLE4_AXIS_SET_EX1 }-

You have assigned to Throtte1 and Throttle2 and not THROTTLEn_AXIS_SET_EX1 - did the throttle even move with those assignments?

I need to see a log file with the throttle axis logged. You can check this in real-time by keeping the console window open. No point in posting either incomplete logs or logs without the throttle movement being logged.

Anyway, try with the scaling, as advised. Any issues, repost a more useful log together with your updated ini.

I do not have the BAe-146 so need to see these file in order to understand what is happening.

John

Ok, forget the logging for the time  being - it looks like the THROTTLEn_AXIS_SET_EX1 controls are not being received back from MSFS, and so cannot be (post) calibrated and are not logged (checked in the ATR which also uses these controls).
Remove the calibration, assign to the correct THROTTLEn_AXIS_SET_EX1 controls and try the axis scaling I proposed in a previous post.

John

OK, first of all your tip with scaling worked flawlessly. Thank you!

Sorry for this new log, I thought it would create full new log, my bad.

I'm aware that those direct throttles 1 and 2 might have been invalid. As I mentioned earlier, I tried this way as well so I wanted to include these too.

As for now, I've configured both axes as THROTTLEn_AXIS_SET_EX1, added scaling parameter and it works. Sim levers get to minimum slightly earlier than hardware axes, but it's irrelevant.

I'm attaching the log and ini again. Password is the same.

This time it is full log (I hope it is).

fsuipc.zip

3 minutes ago, IngvarrZaag said:

As for now, I've configured both axes as THROTTLEn_AXIS_SET_EX1, added scaling parameter and it works. Sim levers get to minimum slightly earlier than hardware axes, but it's irrelevant.

Ok, then the min is not exactly at 20%, You could try adjusting the scaling to get this corrected, but will be difficult to do without knowing what the axis value is at this position.

5 minutes ago, IngvarrZaag said:

I'm attaching the log and ini again. Password is the same.

No need if its working, and especially not if the axis values are not being logged. I have made a note of this and will look into this when time permits. I am rather busy at the moment...

John

• Thanks 1

OK, no worries. It work and this is what really matters.

If you would like to test something with my hardware and/or BAe-146, feel free to contact me.

BTW: I've also scaled this air brakes axis I mentioned earlier. I've found this in the manual and it works:
0=BR,256,F,65786,0,0,0,*0.5,+8192    -{ TO SIM: SPOILERS_SET }-

Thanks again!