The simFlight Network Forums

MSFS DC-3 with Duckworks Enhancement

jdriskell

Apparently the Duckworks enhancement for the MSFS DC-3 has it's own throttle and mixture labels for controlling these axes.  They are called;

DUCKWORKS _THROTTLE1_SET

DUCKWORKS _THROTTLE2_SET

DUCKWORKS _MIXTURE1_SET

DUCKWORKS _MIXTURE2_SET

Can FSUIPC control these axes and if so, how?

Thanks,

Jim Driskell

Those are lvars.

To assign an axis to an lvar, the easiest way is to create a preset. First, you need to determine what the maximum and minimum values that the lvar takes (you can list the lvar values when the throttle/mixture levers are at the extremes), and you must also know the maximum and minimum values the axis sends. The preset, which you need to add to your myevents.txt file (create this if not present) will then take the form
     DuckWorks_Throttle1#@ <conversion> (>L:lvarname)
where
     <conversion> - is the RPM code to convert the axis input value range to that expected by the lvar
     lvarname - is the name of the lvar that controls the aileron position
You can then check the Send Preset to FS in the top-right of the axis assignment panel and assign your axis to the preset DuckWorks Throttle1.

There are other posts where I have shown how to use an axis to control an lvar: 

Hi John,

I'm still struggling with the lvar concept.  I'm using an old CH Throttle Quad what shows its age.

Max and Min Values for the Throttles and Mixture levers are:

T1 - 15615, -15604 = 31219

T2 - 14335, -16384 = 30729

M1 - 14591, -16254 = 30773

M2 - 14591, -16384 = 30975

Myevents.txt file contains the following:

DuckWorks_DC3_Throttle1#$Parm 31219.0 / 0.5 + (>L:DUCKWORKS_THROTTLE1_SET)
DuckWorks_DC3_Throttle2#$Parm 30729.0 / 0.5 + (>L:DUCKWORKS_THROTTLE2_SET)
DuckWorks_DC3_Mixture1#$Parm 30773.0 / 0.5 + (>L:DUCKWORKS_MIXTURE1_SET)
DuckWorks_DC3_Mixture2#$Parm 30975.0 / 0.5 + (>L:DUCKWORKS_MIXTURE2_SET)

I got this format from a previous entry in forum dated 6/23/2023 with a conversaton with Andre92.

I bound these lvars to the throttle and mixture axes, checked select for Preset and Send to FS as normal axis but they have no effect on the throttles within the Duckworks Enanced DC-3 aircraft within the sim.  What an I missing? Probably my numeric parms.

In addition, the Duckworks Enhancement also uses the lvar "DUCKWORKS_PARKING_BRAKE_SET."  I sent the lvar to 0 but am unsure how to define the lvar within the myevents.txt file.  Suggestions?

Your documentation refers to a subset within the .ini file titled "[LvarOffsets].  Is this necessary when the system already has lvars listed and available?

Thanks in advance for your help.  I've been using FSUIPC ever since your father and I were young enough to learn new tricks. But I beginning to think that learning new ways of attaching flight controls to actions within the simulation is leaving me in the lurch.  As they say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." 

Jim Driskell

9 hours ago, jdriskell said:

I bound these lvars to the throttle and mixture axes, checked select for Preset and Send to FS as normal axis but they have no effect on the throttles within the Duckworks Enanced DC-3 aircraft within the sim.  What an I missing? Probably my numeric parms.

What version of FSUIPC are you using? If not using the latest version, 7.3.23. please update. In this version,. you assign an axis to a preset by selecting 'Send Preset to FS', not 'Send to FS as normal axis'. The Select for Preset checkbox is now for sending presets when entering an axis range., using the right-hand side of the axis assignment panel, which is not what you want.

Myevents.txt file contains the following:

DuckWorks_DC3_Throttle1#$Parm 31219.0 / 0.5 + (>L:DUCKWORKS_THROTTLE1_SET)
DuckWorks_DC3_Throttle2#$Parm 30729.0 / 0.5 + (>L:DUCKWORKS_THROTTLE2_SET)
DuckWorks_DC3_Mixture1#$Parm 30773.0 / 0.5 + (>L:DUCKWORKS_MIXTURE1_SET)
DuckWorks_DC3_Mixture2#$Parm 30975.0 / 0.5 + (>L:DUCKWORKS_MIXTURE2_SET)

This is not correct either. You must use either $Param (short for parameter) or the @ symbol as a placeholder for the axis value.

In addition, the Duckworks Enhancement also uses the lvar "DUCKWORKS_PARKING_BRAKE_SET."  I sent the lvar to 0 but am unsure how to define the lvar within the myevents.txt file.  Suggestions?

Try the following
    DuckWorks_DC3_ParkingBrake_On#1 (>L:DUCKWORKS_PARKING_BRAKE_SET)
    DuckWorks_DC3_ParkingBrake_Off#0 (>L:DUCKWORKS_PARKING_BRAKE_SET)
    DuckWorks_DC3_ParkingBrake#@ (>L:DUCKWORKS_PARKING_BRAKE_SET)
The last one accepts a parameter, so you would have to provide the 1 (in) or 0 (off) as a parameter for the assignment.

Your documentation refers to a subset within the .ini file titled "[LvarOffsets].  Is this necessary when the system already has lvars listed and available?

This is for adding lvars to offsets, and should be used when you want to read the lvar value as well as set it. You can also use this method, but then you would use one of the offset controls (e.g. Offset Byte Set) for your assignment.

Thanks in advance for your help.  I've been using FSUIPC ever since your father and I were young enough to learn new tricks. But I beginning to think that learning new ways of attaching flight controls to actions within the simulation is leaving me in the lurch.  As they say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." 

Unfortunately many aircraft. especially add-ons,  don't respect or use the standard controls/events or simulator variables provided, and so you must use other variable types (lvars, hvars, etc) or complex calculator code yo achieve the same. FSUIPC just provides additional functionality to allow such assignments.

Please see the Advanced User manual on using lvars, presets, etc.  This is all described in the WASM section.

Hi John,

I had 7.3.20 installed but upgraded today to 7.3.24.  Make lots of difference and easier to use with the pesky lvars.  I corrected the spelling of $Param on added your suggestion for parking brake controls and now everything works as advertised.

Thanks again for your prompt help.  As I mentioned before, I'm a long time user of FSUIPC and plan to continue.  There is so much power built into the system but I've only scratched the surface. 

My complements to the Dowsons.

Jim Driskell