The simFlight Network Forums

G1000 Dual FMS Knob (Inner/Outer) Events in MSFS???

Golf-Uniform-Yankee

Hi all,

Help!!!

I'm new to FSUIPC7, have purchased it and am giving it a go to see what opportunities it opens up as I am considering building/printing some cockpit parts for myself such as a Trim Wheel, Autopilot Panel and pseudo-G1000 Panel.

I've worked out how to use keyboard assignments in FSUIPC7 to trigger the Com Radio knob inner and outer (whole/fractional) dials and I can see how I can use my Leo Bodnar BU0836A joystick interface (that I have in my Saitek Yoke for pitch/roll axes) and a Dual Concentric Rotary Encoder for a Com tuning knob - great, super, just what I want.

I also what to use another Dual Concentric Rotary Encoder for the G1000's Dual FMS Knob (bottom right knob) but I can't see any events in FSUIPC7 to assign to, there are a load of events starting "G1000 Mfd" and "G1000 Pfd" but these don't seem to be doing anything, I've tried most of the Mfd/Pfd buttons (ENT, CLR, Softkeys etc) in the default C172 with dual G1000s but none are doing anything "in sim", i.e. I don't see any buttons getting pressed.

What events in FSUIPC7 do I need to "map" to?

Regards,
Guy

For the G1000 (stock and Working Title), you should use the available presets. Take a look at https://hubhop.mobiflight.com/presets/ and search for AS1000 (as all G1000 presets start with this).
Alternatively, in FSUIPC7's Button assignment panel, select to send a preset and click the Find Preset button. Then look under MobiFlight->Micorsoft->Generic->Avionics, and you will see the following presets:
image.thumb.png.97fdd5ce627ff765101a2b2d1e431da6.png

image.png.79c5f698adc69cac5637ef1cb538e90a.png

And also similar presets for the PFD FMS. Could it be those? Or look through the available preset list.

5 hours ago, John Dowson said:

For the G1000 (stock and Working Title), you should use the available presets. Take a look at https://hubhop.mobiflight.com/presets/ and search for AS1000 (as all G1000 presets start with this).
Alternatively, in FSUIPC7's Button assignment panel, select to send a preset and click the Find Preset button. Then look under MobiFlight->Micorsoft->Generic->Avionics, and you will see the following presets:
image.thumb.png.97fdd5ce627ff765101a2b2d1e431da6.png

image.png.79c5f698adc69cac5637ef1cb538e90a.png

And also similar presets for the PFD FMS. Could it be those? Or look through the available preset list.

Hi John and many thanks for the info.

By "preset" I assume you mean what I am referring to as "an event"?  I've been an avionics software engineer IRL since 1987 so am well-versed in object-orientated thinking and terminology!!!

Anyway, I have now successfully mapped joystick buttons on my Saitek Throttle Quad to the "AS1000 PFD 1 FMS Inner" event with +1/-1 as the parameter - perfect, I can see how this will work with a Rotary Encoder 😊

However, I do not see the same "AS1000 PFD 1 FMS Inner" event listed under the "Control sent when keys pressed" drop-down when trying to assign a key to the same event/preset?

I should mention I am trying to use keys for the AS1000 PFD 1 FMS Inner/Outer events purely to make my life easier until I have the necessary hardware in place, I find it difficult to use my mouse to manipulate the knobs due to my appalling eyesight thanks to the strokes I have had, so I'm trying to assign keys to the FMS Inner and Outer increase/decrease events.

Regards,
Guy

Edited by Golf-Uniform-Yankee

6 minutes ago, Golf-Uniform-Yankee said:

By "preset" I assume you mean what I am referring to as "an event"?

No. Events are standard FS controls. Presets are a different mechanism. A preset is a name associated to a string of calculator code. When you execute a preset , the calculator code is sent to the WASM and applied to the current aircraft. When you select for an assignment, you can choose to assign to an FS control (event), a preset, or an Input Event (introduced in the latest version of FSUIPC7, 7.4.0, released a few days ago).

10 minutes ago, Golf-Uniform-Yankee said:

However, I do not see the same "AS1000 PFD 1 FMS Inner" event listed under the  "Control sent when keys pressed" drop-down when trying to assign keys?

Did you check Select for Preset? Look at the checkboxes at the bottom left of the key assignment panel.

John

Super!!!

It is now doing keys as I want - I didn't see the "Select for Preset" checkbox but that opened up all the presets I was looking for, so many thanks.

I updated to v7.4.0 yesterday, I bought FSUIPC7 earlier in the year but not have got stuck into it until now as I'm considering getting a 3D Printer to make myself a Trim Wheel and that got me thinking about my own version of the "Knobster".

I have years of experience programming Windows (C++/C#) but have not done any coding since 2007 and also had 5 strokes since then but I want to get my head around interfacing with MSFS/X-Plane i.e. events, presets, WASM etc.  Do you have any pointers/online resources to such?

Many thanks again,
Guy

1 minute ago, Golf-Uniform-Yankee said:

Do you have any pointers/online resources to such?

There isn't that much information, and it is spread thinly. The Asobo/MSFS documentation is the reference documentation, and the MobiFlight discord server (as well as the HubHop site) is also very useful. There is also plenty of documentation that comes with FSUIPC. Lua is the scripting language that FSUIPC supports - I don't provide any documentation on standard lua (use google/www for this), but documentation is provided on the additional lua functions I provide that are specific to flight simulation, and how lua plugins are used, and there are plenty of examples included. Also check out the FAQ and User Contributions sub-forums here.

John