The simFlight Network Forums

BVars support?

kaha

Bvars are input events (as far as I am aware - or closely related).  The latest release of FSUIPC7, 7.4.0, enables direct assignment to Input Events.

Other than that, there is no direct access to B-type variables, and you cannot use them via calculator code. You can alter the xml files to allow b-var control via lvars, But I think that it would be better to look at the available Input Events before you consider this. There is a post somewhere where I showed how to do this.

John

• 2 months later...
On 12/15/2023 at 11:31 AM, John Dowson said:

Bvars are input events (as far as I am aware - or closely related).  The latest release of FSUIPC7, 7.4.0, enables direct assignment to Input Events.

Other than that, there is no direct access to B-type variables, and you cannot use them via calculator code. You can alter the xml files to allow b-var control via lvars, But I think that it would be better to look at the available Input Events before you consider this. There is a post somewhere where I showed how to do this.

John

Can the B-Vars only be used via the FSUIPC GUI? Or can they also be used by FSUIPC Clients (e.g. PilotsDeck) or Lua-Scripts?

4 minutes ago, Fragtality said:

Can the B-Vars only be used via the FSUIPC GUI? Or can they also be used by FSUIPC Clients (e.g. PilotsDeck) or Lua-Scripts?

As I said before, there is no access to B-vars directly - you have to hack the xml files to add an lvar (and timer) to control a B:var - I have showed how to do this in other posts, and there are also examples on the MF Hub-Hop site (e.g. see the details for the preset TBM930_BLEED_AIR_AUTO). Even calculator code cannot be used to trigger a B:var directly (although I have seen some AAOs snippets that try to do this....)

However,  there seems to be a close relationship between B:vars and Input Events - in fact, B:vars ARE Input Events (see https://docs.flightsimulator.com/flighting/html/Additional_Information/Reverse_Polish_Notation.htm) - but maybe not all B:vars are available as actual Input Events (or via the Input Event interface).
So, I prefer to use the term Input Events rather than B:vars, which you can access via the GUI for assignments, via offsets, and also via Lua. So any FSUIPC client can access them via offset 0x7C50. Please note that the prefix FSUIPC uses for Input Events is 'I:' and not 'B:'.

For the actual B:vars themselves, there is not and never will be any direct access (e.g. via calc. code) as far as I am aware, and you will only ever be able to use these via the corresponding Input Events interface. I have also read somewhere (in the Asobo forums) that future MSFS releases will provided access to more B:vars via the Input Event interface, with the aim to provide access to all - at which point the distinction becomes irrelevant!

All a bit confusing really....

16 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

As I said before, there is no access to B-vars directly - you have to hack the xml files to add an lvar (and timer) to control a B:var - I have showed how to do this in other posts, and there are also examples on the MF Hub-Hop site (e.g. see the details for the preset TBM930_BLEED_AIR_AUTO). Even calculator code cannot be used to trigger a B:var directly (although I have seen some AAOs snippets that try to do this....)

However,  there seems to be a close relationship between B:vars and Input Events - in fact, B:vars ARE Input Events (see https://docs.flightsimulator.com/flighting/html/Additional_Information/Reverse_Polish_Notation.htm) - but maybe not all B:vars are available as actual Input Events (or via the Input Event interface).
So, I prefer to use the term Input Events rather than B:vars, which you can access via the GUI for assignments, via offsets, and also via Lua. So any FSUIPC client can access them via offset 0x7C50. Please note that the prefix FSUIPC uses for Input Events is 'I:' and not 'B:'.

For the actual B:vars themselves, there is not and never will be any direct access (e.g. via calc. code) as far as I am aware, and you will only ever be able to use these via the corresponding Input Events interface. I have also read somewhere (in the Asobo forums) that future MSFS releases will provided access to more B:vars via the Input Event interface, with the aim to provide access to all - at which point the distinction becomes irrelevant!

All a bit confusing really....

Thanks for your Explanations!