The simFlight Network Forums

Logging and start Lua questions

DaveSCUSA

Two questions please:

1. Can you point me to documentation or let us know what to do if we change an Lua program or change the FSUIPC7.ini to retetst the change? Must we restart MSFS from scratch? The changes don't seem to take effect on Flight Restart or creating a new flight from the Main Menu. Time consuming to start MSFS from scratch. 

2. Is there a way to eliminate all Lua traces and still display ipc.log entries?

If you need more info, please let me know.

Thanks

11 hours ago, DaveSCUSA said:

1. Can you point me to documentation or let us know what to do if we change an Lua program or change the FSUIPC7.ini to retetst the change? Must we restart MSFS from scratch? The changes don't seem to take effect on Flight Restart or creating a new flight from the Main Menu. Time consuming to start MSFS from scratch. 

If you change a lua script, just run it to pick up the changes. if it is already running, when you run it again the currently running script will be killed.

For ini file changes, it depends on what is changed. Some parameters are only read at start-up, others when needed. When changing assignments, you should always do this either with FSUIPC7 not running, or with the relevant assignment panel open, and click to reload the changes after saved.

11 hours ago, DaveSCUSA said:

2. Is there a way to eliminate all Lua traces and still display ipc.log entries?

Just disable logging for Lua Plugins - ipc.log statements will still be logged.

1 hour ago, DaveSCUSA said:

3. Is there a way to compile an Lua plugin outside of MSFS? 

No. Lua scripts are compiled by FSUIPC7 just before being ran, and they are onky ran when FSUIPC7 is connected to MSFS and you have an aircraft ready to fly (i.e. not in the main menus).

Of course, you can use standard lua outside of FSUIPC7, but you will not be able to use the additional lua functions provided by FSUIPC.

John