The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC7 and Leo Bodner

Lord Farringdon

Hi Guys,

Fist let me say I am not a current user of FSUIPC7 since I have never done anything or needed anything to purchase it. (Played with free copy many many years ago).  But now I want to build a home cockpit and while there other options, I note the FSUIPC still seems to have the best support on the block. And that's is super important in any project like this. But before I launch into this software I have noted some limitations with regard to the number of inputs it can handle although that was old info I understand this has been increased in Ver 7? 

So what can anyone tell me about the capability of FSUIPC to manage say 64 input Leo Bodner boards and what limits are presented? That is to say,  how many  board interfaces can be supported. Is it Windows 11 that can only handle a certain number or is it the number of interfaces that MSFS (PMDG 737) can handle or is there a limit to what FSUIPC can handle that make a 64 bit input Leo Bodner not viable? Can FSUIPC7 even read/write to Leo Bodner boards? 

As you can see, I am new to this (so go easy on me) and I am not dead set on anything. I'm just trying to get my head around these limits before I open my wallet and base the whole project on a software/hardware combo, that I feel will comfortably get me across the finish line. 

Appreciate any advice offered.

Regards 

Terry

1 hour ago, Lord Farringdon said:

So what can anyone tell me about the capability of FSUIPC to manage say 64 input Leo Bodner boards and what limits are presented? That is to say,  how many  board interfaces can be supported. Is it Windows 11 that can only handle a certain number or is it the number of interfaces that MSFS (PMDG 737) can handle or is there a limit to what FSUIPC can handle that make a 64 bit input Leo Bodner not viable?

FSUIPC handles up to 16 devices only (vie the windows API, + 3 additional PFC devices). Each device can have up to 12 axes and 128 buttons.

Can FSUIPC7 even read/write to Leo Bodner boards? 

FSUIPC does not do anything special with Leo Bodnar devices - they are just seen as another HID joystick type device. Many people use these cards with FSUIPC.

As you can see, I am new to this (so go easy on me) and I am not dead set on anything. I'm just trying to get my head around these limits before I open my wallet and base the whole project on a software/hardware combo, that I feel will comfortably get me across the finish line. 

Appreciate any advice offered.

Please try the trial license, available from a post at the top of this forum.

John

20 hours ago, John Dowson said:

FSUIPC handles up to 16 devices only (vie the windows API, + 3 additional PFC devices). Each device can have up to 12 axes and 128 buttons.

FSUIPC does not do anything special with Leo Bodnar devices - they are just seen as another HID joystick type device. Many people use these cards with FSUIPC.

Please try the trial license, available from a post at the top of this forum.

John

Wow, didn't expect the boss to answer! Thank you very much John. 👍

I assume PFC is primary flight controls and relates to rudder pedals, yoke, throttle quadrants. It does seem the information I had was rather old and that FSUIPC does indeed have a great deal more capacity than I first imagined.  And yes, on the basis that many are using FSUIPC with LB cards, then I will definitely download the trial version. If I have issues making it work, at least I'll know it will be my problem, not the software/board combo! 

Thanks again John

Cheers

Terry

Auckland, New Zealand