The simFlight Network Forums

Axes Calibration and ExcludeThrottleSet Questions

ark1320

Hi John,

Couple of questions on axis calibration.

1. For single engine aircraft I usually set up the throttle, Prop, and Mixture/Condition lever using the first and second FSUIPC7 Joystick Calibration windows. There are also joystick axes calibration windows 3,4 and 5 where you can set up 4 throttles, 4 mixtures and 4 props.  My question is, for a single engine aircraft, what is the difference between setting up the throttle, prop and mixture on calibration windows 1 and 2 as compared to using Throttle 1, Mixture 1 and Prop1 on calibration windows 3, 4 and 5?

2.  Calibration windows 3, 4 and 5 have a check box ExcludeThrottlen Set (or Mixturen Set or Prop Pitchn Set). I did find a little about this in the FSUIPC manual, but still don't understand what this check box is for, and why there is no similar checkbox for the throttle, prop and mixture setup on Calibration windows 1 and 2.

3. In my FSUIPC7.ini file I see I have entries such as :

[JoystickCalibration.TBM850]
ExcludeThrottleSet=No
ExcludeMixtureSet=Yes
ExcludePropPitchSet=Yes

Do these entries have any effect for a single engine aircraft?  Should they all be set to = Yes, or what?

Thanks,

Al

• ark1320 changed the title to Axes Calibration and ExcludeThrottleSet Questions
On 2/15/2024 at 9:40 PM, ark1320 said:

1. For single engine aircraft I usually set up the throttle, Prop, and Mixture/Condition lever using the first and second FSUIPC7 Joystick Calibration windows. There are also joystick axes calibration windows 3,4 and 5 where you can set up 4 throttles, 4 mixtures and 4 props.  My question is, for a single engine aircraft, what is the difference between setting up the throttle, prop and mixture on calibration windows 1 and 2 as compared to using Throttle 1, Mixture 1 and Prop1 on calibration windows 3, 4 and 5?

The first and second windows calibrate the AXIS_THROTTLE_SET, AXIS_PROPELLER_SET and AXIS_MIXTURE_SET controls, whereas those on pages 3,4,5 calibrate the individual axis controls AXIS_THROTTLEn_SET,  AXIS_PROPELLERn_SET,  AXIS_MIXTURn_SET. If the aircraft supports the use of both controls, you can assign to either and calibrate in the appropriate section. Some aircraft allow the use of both, but others may only respond to one. The calibration for individual engine controls provide more functionality (ie. w.r.t reverse range) if needed.

2.  Calibration windows 3, 4 and 5 have a check box ExcludeThrottlen Set (or Mixturen Set or Prop Pitchn Set). I did find a little about this in the FSUIPC manual, but still don'tt

The THROTTLEn_SET,  PROP_PITCHn_SET and MIXTUREn_SET controls are the older controls, and FSUIPC excludes these from calibration by defaultm but you can allow calibration on these controls by unchecking this box. I am not sure why it is like this - it will be for historic reasons way before my time...I would just leave these as is, and not use those controls, unless absolutely needed.

why there is no similar checkbox for the throttle, prop and mixture setup on Calibration windows 1 and 2.

MIXTURE_SET is automatically mapped to AXIS_MIXTURE_SET, and PROP_PITCH_SET is mapped to AXIS_PROPELLER_SET (see page 44 of User guide), so no need to exclude these. Not sure about THROTTLE_SET though, as that isn't documented. Not sure if this is mapped or calibrated or not (on page 1) without checking further....

3. In my FSUIPC7.ini file I see I have entries such as :

[JoystickCalibration.TBM850]
ExcludeThrottleSet=No
ExcludeMixtureSet=Yes
ExcludePropPitchSet=Yes

Do these entries have any effect for a single engine aircraft?  Should they all be set to = Yes, or what?

These are just the ini parameters that store the state of the check boxes you mentioned in your last question. They will only have an effect if/when assigned to the older THROTTLEn_SET,  PROP_PITCHn_SET and MIXTUREn_SET controls.

John

• Like 1