The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC 7.4.12 Stop working during flight ?

raam123

In both cases ( @EisernUnion & @superrodrigues753), something is creating lvars every few seconds. When new lvars are created, the WASM will detect this and push out the new (complete) lvar list out to clients. This involves dropping all existing CDAs (Client Data Areas, the memory areas that MSFS provides to share such data between MSFS and clients) and re-creating them. This is happening 3-10 times a minute (or more) in both cases.

I created a lua script that mimics this behavior and set it running in an MSFS session that I had been running for over 2 days without any issue. Doing this, I still didn't get a WASM crash, but I did get an MSFS crash! And the FSUIPC_WASM.log file was over 2GB, but still didn't show any issues.

I don't understand why lvars are continually being created, or what is creating them. It could be the aircraft itself, or an add-on that you are using. If you list the lvars, the ones recently created will be the ones with the highest id - lvars are listed in id order in the FSUIPC7.log file when you do Log->Add-ons->WASM->List Lvars. Maybe try listing them and see if you can determine what is creating them from the names. I suspect GSX but could be another add-on or the aircraft itself (don't have the Fenix so cannot check this, or GSX).

FSUIPC7 does have to continually re-scan for lvars at initial start-up of a flight, as many lvars are created quite a while after the flight session starts. However, I don't think lvars created long into a flight can be of much use to the user (especially for assignments) - they are probably for use by the add-on or aircraft that is creating them only.

Therefore I am going to add a new WASM ini parameter LvarScanPeriod, set to a default of 600 seconds (10 mins). This will be the period, after the aircraft is loaded and ready-to-fly, during which  the WASM will scan for lvars, and after this the periodic scanning for lvars (with period defined by LvarScanFrequency ini parameter)  will stop.

Note that if you create an lvar via FSUIPC using the lvar creation facilities (NOT via calc code!) , the new lvar's name/value will still be automatically pushed-out to FSUIPC7, and the client can always request an lvar scan either manually  (add-ons->WASM->Reload), via lua ( ipc.reloadWASM()) or via a control (Reload WASM).

I have also noticed that a new MSFS SDK has been released, 0.24.3.0. I will also rebuild everything against this SDK for this release. Not sure what the changes to the SDK are yet, but I will take a look. I would expect to release this next version sometime next week.

I will still be interested in trace logs and any other information you can find if you get the WASM crash with that version I posted above.

Regards,

John

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/31/2024 at 3:44 PM, John Dowson said:

The files you are attaching don't make sense:

From your prev.log file:

From your (latest) .log file:

From your ini file:

Are they all from the same folder? They should be, but I do not understand how your log files can show a different version than your ini file.
Please run MSFS again with FSUIPC7, then open your installation folder (File->Open Installation Folder...).  That will be the location of your log and ini files that I need to see.

And PLEASE at least check your files before posting them - if they are not from 7.4.12 or later, don't post them as they are useless to me.

John

Checked files. All version 7.4.12.
Basically all the axes work, the buttons don't.
Is it better to uninstall everything and then reinstall?

FSUIPC7_ver12_Check.rar

12 minutes ago, Luigi Martinelli said:

Is it better to uninstall everything and then reinstall?

No - re-installation achieves nothing.

These are the correct files this time, but unfortunately don't show much.
From the log, you manually started FSUIPC7 when you had the F117 Knighthawk 84-827 loaded (no profile for this aircraft, so will use the general assignments). Looks like when this was loaded, FSUIPC wasn't function correctly (threads not started, no buttons presses logged, but keys are logged). What was the state of MSFS when you started FSUIPC7? Was it in the main menu or another menu (which), or was the aircraft loaded and ready to fly?

You then loaded the Cessna 172 after 5mins 37seconds:

337360 Aircraft="Cessna Skyhawk G1000 Asobo"

and then everything seems to start ok:

348344 Starting WAPI...
   348344   [INFO]: **** Starting FSUIPC7 WASM Interface (WAPI) version 1.0.4 (WASM version 1.0.3) using connection -1
   348344   [INFO]: Connected to MSFS
   380688 -------------------- Starting everything now ----------------------
   381063 Lvars received: 576 L:vars & 47 H:vars now available
   381063 Requesting Input Events...
   381063 Lvars/Hvars received - checking aircraft autos....
   383000 *** EVENT: Cntrl= 65568 (0x00010020), Param= 0 (0x00000000) HEADING_GYRO_SET
   384016 FS Control Sent: Ctrl=65767, Param=15743 PROP_PITCH_SET
   384031 FS Control Sent: Ctrl=65767, Param=16383 PROP_PITCH_SET
   385203 Lvars received: 748 L:vars & 47 H:vars now available
   385641 FS Control Sent: Ctrl=65767, Param=15743 PROP_PITCH_SET
   385688 FS Control Sent: Ctrl=65767, Param=16255 PROP_PITCH_SET
   385703 [Buttons] 26=PB,32,K35,8
   385703 SendKeyToFS(00000023=[End], KEYDOWN) ctr=0
   385719 Sending WM_KEYDOWN, Key=35 (Scan code 79), Ctr=1
   385813 SendKeyToFS(00000023=[End], KEYUP) ctr=0
   385828 Sending WM_KEYDOWN, Key=35 (Scan code 79), Ctr=1
   385985 [Buttons] 26=PB,32,K35,8

And everything seems normal from then. Were your buttons not working for the Cessna 172?

Your log file does show one error:

5125 FSUIPC couldn't run: "C:\Users\luiem\AppData\Roaming\DynamicLOD\bin\DynamicLOD.exe" in folder "C:\Users\luiem\AppData\Roaming\DynamicLOD\bin" [Error=2]

Error 2 implies that the file does not exist at that location.

Is there a reason why you are using a keyboard hook with FSUIPC7:

UseKeyboardHook=Yes

?

And why are you running the HidDemo lua script:

[AUTO]
1=lua HidDemo

?

Can you also please exit FSUIPC7 before attaching logs - you attached this one when FSUIPC7 was still running.
And as you are using profiles-in-separate files, I will also need to see the profile ini files for the aircraft that you are using when testing, so please attach those.

There is certainly something strange going on as I do not understand why things weren't started when you started FSUIPC7 and had the F117 Knighthawk loaded. I will need to se some more logs with additional logging. Can you please add
    TestOptions=x800
to the [General] section of your FSUIPC7.ini file.

Also, please respond to my questions. Correct that error with your DynamicLOD.exe not starting, and provide me with another set of files from a test when MSFS auto-starts FSUIPC7. Select your aircraft and get ready-to-fly. Then wait 30 seconds or so, then test your buttons/axis. If they do not work, exit FSUIPC7 and restart it, Wait until everything is loaded (again 30 secs or so), then test again. Do they now work or not?
Exit FSUIPC7, then attach your FSUIPC7.log, FSUIPC7_prev.log, FSUIPC7.ini, and the profile file of the aircraft used, if that is in a separate profile.

I am finishing now for the day. I will look at your updated files once attached, either tomorrow or Monday.

John

@Luigi Martinelli Forgot to say, can you use the latest beta please which has additional logging. Can you also make sure that you have the following logging set (and no other): Buttons & Keys, Events & Extras.

Note also that your issue is actually different from the one reported here and should be in its own thread (or one of the other threads with similar issues) - this thread is really for when FSUIPC stops working during a flight. Your issue is (or seems to be) that your buttons are not working when you start a flight. 

FSUIPC7.exe

1 minute ago, superrodrigues753 said:

I did the tests removing add-ons and discovered that in my case removing "Parallel 42 – SimFX" I no longer have the problem.

That is interesting... Does that add-on continually create lvars by any chance? I think there could be issues with FSUIPC7 when using add-ons that continually create lvars, due to the way FSUIPC WASM pushes newly created lvars out to FSUIPC7. I will add a fix for this (as detailed in my comments above) in the next release.

John

2 hours ago, EisernUnion said:

Just a quick note: Since i started to log with the file you provided .... no crash happend.... i stopped creating trace logs now... crazy ....

Which file was that? Could you update to the beta version (7.4.13b) posted above if you haven't already.

Thanks.

I installed the file mentioned above and also installed all the add-ons that previously presented the problem, I made 2 flights and did not present the problem before the file version: "Install_FSUIPC7.4.13b" if you wish I will send the LOGs

5 minutes ago, superrodrigues753 said:

I made 2 flights and did not present the problem before the file version: "Install_FSUIPC7.4.13b" if you wish I will send the LOGs

Not quite clear on this - did you have problems with 7.4.13b or not? If so, I would like to see the logs, if not, no point in attaching logs.

On 6/1/2024 at 8:54 PM, John Dowson said:

@Luigi Martinelli Forgot to say, can you use the latest beta please which has additional logging. Can you also make sure that you have the following logging set (and no other): Buttons & Keys, Events & Extras.

Note also that your issue is actually different from the one reported here and should be in its own thread (or one of the other threads with similar issues) - this thread is really for when FSUIPC stops working during a flight. Your issue is (or seems to be) that your buttons are not working when you start a flight. 

FSUIPC7.exe 670 kB · 0 downloads

Using the .exe you attached, the buttons came back alive. I'll attach the files anyway, sorry for the wrong post.

fsuipc7_v12_last.rar

35 minutes ago, LuzCosta said:

I confirm having the same issue, FSUIPC 7.4.12 Stop working during flight

and like superrodrigues753, after removing "Parallel 42 – SimFX" I no longer have the problem.

I have just released 7.4.13 - can you please install this version and see if that solves your issue. If not, I need to see your files: FSUIPC7.log, FSUIPC7.ini, FSUIPC_WASM.log. Please exit FSUIPC7 before attaching the FSUIPC7 logs, and only attach the FSUIPC_WASM.log after exiting MSFS.

John

5 hours ago, John Dowson said:

I have just released 7.4.13 - can you please install this version and see if that solves your issue. If not, I need to see your files: FSUIPC7.log, FSUIPC7.ini, FSUIPC_WASM.log. Please exit FSUIPC7 before attaching the FSUIPC7 logs, and only attach the FSUIPC_WASM.log after exiting MSFS.

John

Hi John,

I just did a 2:30 hours flight with FSUIPC 7.4.13

All my Add-ons were on,  Fenix 320 V2 || Parallel 42:  SimFX / Flow Pro || FSFO || FS Realistic || FSLTL

To my knowledge, I confirm everything worked like a charm this time!

Thank you for your support

Best,

Edited by LuzCosta

7 hours ago, LuzCosta said:

I just did a 2:30 hours flight with FSUIPC 7.4.13

All my Add-ons were on,  Fenix 320 V2 || Parallel 42:  SimFX / Flow Pro || FSFO || FS Realistic || FSLTL

To my knowledge, I confirm everything worked like a charm this time!

Great - thanks for the update.

John

Unfortunately, after glancing through this exhaustive post (and with build 13 of FSUIPC and SimFX installed) I have the same issue of Preset assignments dropping out mid-session. Native commands keep working, rotor brakes as well. I will have to read up on this post and see if I can get it sorted. Will post back if nothing changes after some additional flights with the appropriate logs.

Xander

17 minutes ago, xkoote said:

I have the same issue of Preset assignments dropping out mid-session.

How long into the session did this occur?
When this occurs, and AFTER you have quit MSFS, can you please show me/attach your FSUIPC_WASM.log file please.
Also, pause the sim, exit FSUIPC7 and save/rename the FSUIPC7.log file (and show me/attach that), then restart FSUIPC7 - do you have the same issue?

Can you also activate Debug-level logging in the WAPI (Log->WAPI->Debug) and the WASM (in the FSUIPC_WASM.ini file - see the WASM section in the Advanced User guide if you do not know where this file  or the WASM log file is located).

If you are running MSFS in devmode, can you also check the MSFS console window to see if there are any messages relating to the FSUIPC WASM module (i.e. if it crashed or not).

John,

thanks as always for your support. I have been flying the MD-11 on and off and first noticed this behaviour when switching from the .12b you gave me which introduced extended ControlNumbers prior to the official SU15 release. I thought it was due to the MD-11 being in beta and having some issues.

Today after a long time, I needed to edit my PMDG DC-6 due to a new joystick and associated Windows joystick ID's. In the process of doing this I noticed that the preset button assignments that worked just before, stopped working. Must have been around 30 minutes in. All the events of course were still present in the updated events text file. e.g. PMDG DC6 cowl flap operation. After I changed these binds from presets to straight out Rotor Brake codes, they worked fine. Testing my other preset based buttons however stayed inoperative.

I will post in due time if you don't mind as I always want to make sure I am not jumping to conclusions. I will then send my ini files for the program and the DC-6, the WASM log as describes above and WASM ini and lastly the FSUIPC7.log.

Thanks as always,

Xander

Ok - but note that I don't need to see the WASM ini - there can be two of these (the one installed with the WASM in your Community folder, and your local settings in the AppData folder) and the values used will be logged in the WASM log anyway. Maybe also attach your FSUIPC7.ini file though.

If presets stop working but everything else continues to work, it will either be a problem in the WASM or the WAPI. From other posts in this thread, I suspect that the WASM has crashed (although the crash report was for version 7.4.12). Maybe also check the Windows Event viewer to see if any crash Event is present.

There has been little change in the WASM for around a year. I did update in the 7.4.13 release to add a new WASM ini parameter, but this was a simple update and should not cause any issues. So as the WASM has been stable for years I am not sure yet what has changed to cause this issue.

I will also continue to try and reproduce here, and look into how to profile and debug a WASM.

Cheers,

John