The simFlight Network Forums

Throttle Issues w/CRJ

Figured I'd post this here while Aerosoft is also looking into it. I picked up the CRJ this morning and I cannot get my throttles to go above 50% N1. I use FSUIPC in FSX:SE, P3D v3 and P3D v4 with no issues whatsoever over a wide range of aircraft - All PMDG, all FSL, A2A 182, and the Q400. My throttles work fine in every plane except the CRJ. My flaps lever doesn't work as well. The slightest movement of the lever puts full flaps. I have a GoFlight TQ6. Does anyone have any ideas? I followed the CRJ FSUIPC throttle guide without any luck as well. Thanks! 

+1

Have the same issue with the same hardware software combo (P3D4, FSUIPC5). Throtles advance only to half thrust. Tried different combinations. Tried it also with the Saitek Proflight TPM: same problems - so, it might be not related to the hardware at all.

Got the flaps and spoilers working without issues.

Edited by fly4fun

Hi,

when you say you are using the same hardware/ software combination as Lude2Envy does, he clearly states that that the hardware/ software combination (P3Dv4/ FSUIPC5/ Add-on AC) works for all, and even for PMDG, but not for the CRJ add-on.

That makes relative clear it is not related to FSUIPC5.

I guess you did the simple test with your hardware and the CRJ add-on by defining the throttle direct in P3D? Also without any information like FSUIPC5.ini & FSUIPC5.log files there is not much to help. There are different LOG options in FSUIPC logging tab like Axis events to get an idea what is going on, when selected and a very short session the logging will show if maybe something interferes with the throttle.

Thomas

As Thomas says, you aren't providing emough information, but whatever it is it is clearly related to the way the CRJ is written.

Are you assigning throttles in FSUIPC, and calibrating?
Are you calibrating with reverse zones?

It is possible that the CRJ gauge code is intercepting the throttles and assuming a -16k to +16k all for forward thrust, which is what it would get from default assignments. When calibrating with reverse you are saying -16k to 0 is reverse, so only 0-16k is forward.

However, theoretically that would give you the upper half of the throttle range, 50% to 100%

Anyway, as well as what Thomas suggests, try
1.  not calibrating in FSUIPC, and/or
2. assigning to the regular FS throttle controls (axis throttleN set) instead of "direct to FSUIC calibration".

Pete

Thanks Pete and Thomas,

all that Lude2Envy stated regarding the other planes working without issues, including PMDG, A2A is valid for my case as well.

Thus I never assumed it is a FSUIPC issue and still believe it is not. Flaps and spoilers work just fine, which is an indication that it is software AS related. It can be, that they are operating with absolute numbers.

The commands in my case were sent directly to FSUIPC for calibration, tried it with reverse and without reverse thrust checked (and set). If the 'joystick calibration' in FSUIPC is set and calibrated, the throtles work 0-50. if this is reset and not set again, they are working in the range of 25-75. I guess it is the reading of Aerosoft that assumes as Pete said: -16/16. TQ6 has a resolution of -8k to +8k and this can be the reason why things get funky. However Saitek TPM has a resolution of -16/+16 and it does not change the matter.

I did try "send to FS as normal axis" and the problem is exactly the same. I get the half range and not more. I do not use p3d to process my axis and do not want to use it, but to eliminate all questions about it: no, it does not work the whole range either, only half.

I momentarily gave up on the issue and am using Spad.next for throttle assignments - there they work as intended, the whole range, at least to TOGA. Full power is still elusive but it may be systematic and connected to the plane's logic which I had no chance to get acquainted with yet.

cheers, Matt

26 minutes ago, fly4fun said:

tried it with reverse and without reverse thrust checked (and set).

Do you really mean the "no reverse" checkbox on the left?

28 minutes ago, fly4fun said:

TQ6 has a resolution of -8k to +8k and this can be the reason why things get funky. However Saitek TPM has a resolution of -16/+16 and it does not change the matter.

Not surprising, as Windows automatically scales them all to -16k to +16k. Only "RAW" mode reads the true values.

30 minutes ago, fly4fun said:

I momentarily gave up on the issue

Don't forget to try assigning to the Aaxis throttleX set controls, as I suggested.

Pete

I found the problem. In the CRJ manager there is a little button in th bottom left for "options." There is a setting in there to set the throttles for use with FSUIPC. Nobody on the Aerosoft forum mentioned anything about this setting. All they said to do was follow their useless FSUIPC calibration guide. I now have all of my planes, including the CRJ, calibrated exactly the same way with no issues. 

Thanks Lude2Envy, you've nailed it! Who would have thought so.. Burried in the options, did not see it mentioned in a manual, and the options tab itself burried in the fuel, weight and balance app. UI design at its best :D I feel foolish for throwing flying time away for something as trivial as this and wasting yours, Pete's and Thomas' time. However, more users will hopefully see this post and 'solve' it quicker.

3 hours ago, fly4fun said:

Thanks Lude2Envy, you've nailed it! Who would have thought so.. Burried in the options, did not see it mentioned in a manual, and the options tab itself burried in the fuel, weight and balance app. UI design at its best :D I feel foolish for throwing flying time away for something as trivial as this and wasting yours, Pete's and Thomas' time. However, more users will hopefully see this post and 'solve' it quicker.

I posted on AVSim and Aerosoft already. Mathijs and Hans didn't even mention this setting when I asked them about it. You'd think Aerosoft would know their own products a little better.