The simFlight Network Forums

Help with impacting Real weather?

Pete,

Is there anything in FSUIPC that would force the sim to always get the real weather updated every 15 minutes?

I've changed a setting in the .FLT file (under Flights/Other) that reduces this down to 2 clicks (Change and OK) but I'd really just like it to happen every time without input from me. Seems rather obvious to me. I looked over the manual for FSUIPC but the weather controls there didn't seem to provide anything like this.

Is there anything in FSUIPC that would force the sim to always get the real weather updated every 15 minutes?

No. I have no idea how to do that.. doesn't FS do that optionally already if you enable it?

I've changed a setting in the .FLT file (under Flights/Other) that reduces this down to 2 clicks (Change and OK) but I'd really just like it to happen every time without input from me. Seems rather obvious to me.

This is for what? To save two clicks each time you load FS you mean? I don't know of any way of making FS default to going on-line without some user intervention. Sorry.

I looked over the manual for FSUIPC but the weather controls there didn't seem to provide anything like this.

The weather functions in FSUIPC are almost all related to the interface FSUIPC provides for EXTERNAL programs. I have no way of interfering much with FS's own stuff. FSUIPC's prime purpose is to provide an interface for external programs. It doesn't actually try to replace FS's own provided functions. I wouldn't even know how to do most of them. Sorry.

Regards,

Pete

doesn't FS do that optionally already if you enable it?

Not that I've seen. The closest I can get is what I mentioned. Apparently you must have that first download to get it going. You'd think you could just pick that and have it do it when you click on Fly!

This is for what? To save two clicks each time you load FS you mean?

Actually more than that. Before, under weather, you click on Change. Then there's a delay. Then you had to manually move the radio button to the right selection. Then click OK. Then watch it generate the weather and show it to you and then click OK again. I've cut that pretty much in half now so I was trying to get the final part removed.

And forgive me for bugging you on it. I've found in the past that FSUIPC often overcomes the shortcomings I've personally run into with FS so I've started thinking of you with a bit of a red cape on. :wink:

doesn't FS do that optionally already if you enable it?

Not that I've seen. The closest I can get is what I mentioned. Apparently you must have that first download to get it going.

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood -- I thought FS automatically updated your weather every so often, something like 15 minutes, if you selected the option. I know you have to start it off.

You'd think you could just pick that and have it do it when you click on Fly!

Well, I don't know the reason you couldn't have it defaulting, or saved with a FLT file, but I do remember it was discussed. Sorry.

And forgive me for bugging you on it. I've found in the past that FSUIPC often overcomes the shortcomings I've personally run into with FS so I've started thinking of you with a bit of a red cape on. :wink:

:lol: Ah well. If I knew how to do it I'd certainly add it in some place, but it isn't really an area I know much about. Most of my work on the weather has been to try to support the external weather programs, which I think have a better chance (in the longer term) of developing into something more worthwhile. With FS facilities it's often a two year wait instead! :wink:

Regards,

Pete