The simFlight Network Forums

WideClient Will Not Launch

Anyone have any idea why WideClient will not start. It launches to the taskbar and just sits there. Normally it would minimize and I would see "Waiting for connection". I think its a network problem but not sure.

Here's the log file:

********* WideClient.DLL Log [version 6.221] Class=FS98MAIN *********

Date (dmy): 29/05/04, Time 16:05:23.787: Client name is PMABGCFCU

160 Attempting to connect now

21191 Error on client pre-Connection Select() [Error=10060] Connection timed out

21201 Ready to try connection again

21211 Attempting to connect now

Thanks,

Richard

Anyone have any idea why WideClient will not start. It launches to the taskbar and just sits there. Normally it would minimize and I would see "Waiting for connection".

It is just waiting for a connection. Seems like you''ve got a parameter in the WideClient.ini file which tells it to hide or start minimised -- just delete the INI and start again, or open it up and check the Windows and other parameters near the top. All the parameters are documented in the WideFS DOC so you shouldn't have any problem.

Pete

Thanks for the reply Pete. Sorry to say that did not help. I deleted the ini and log files. Restarted WC and it gave me a window saying TCPIP not assigned. I edited the ini and added my normal items:

[Config]

Window=43,44,886,589

Visible=Yes

UseTCPIP=Yes

ServerIPAddr=192.168.1.20

[user]

Log=Error+

When I relaunched WC, it did the same thing, goes to the task bar and thats all. I've been fighting this for four hours and have tried everything I can think of.

Richard

When I relaunched WC, it did the same thing, goes to the task bar and thats all. I've been fighting this for four hours and have tried everything I can think of.

There's absolutely no code in WideClient that has anything to do with the "task bar" (I assume you mean minimising it?). You must have something else doing this, somehow, though I cannot imagine what. WideClient will start off minimised if you ask it to.

Even if it starts off minimised, right clicking on it and restoring it should get you a window back. All that stuff is left to Windows, WideClient doesn't touch any of it.

Is there some important reason to get it as a Window, by the way? It should work quite happily maximised, restored, minimised or even completely invisible. Your log extract showed nothing out of the ordinary.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks for the reply Pete. Sorry to say that did not help.

One other thing. Windows offers the facility to force any program to start minimised, maximised or in a normal window. Right click on the shortcut or icon you use to run it, and select Properties. Check the data there -- maybe you've somehow told Windows to override whatever Wideclient is trying to do.

Pete

Finally I found the problem, a program called nwiz.exe

I ran msconfig from the run option and looked in Startup. I started deselecting and rebooting and nwiz.exe was causing all my problems.

I did a web search on nwiz.exe and apparantly its a program from nvidia. I had downloaded beta driver 61.11 from guru3d.com and installed it. I think I'll go back to the nvidia released drivers.

Thanks for the help Pete. Your ideas helped.

Richard

Finally I found the problem, a program called nwiz.exe

Hmmm. Strange. What is it supposed to do, hide :wink: windows from you?

Maybe it is supposed to remember window states and restore them like it saw them, but somehow got it knickers twisted, so to speak.

Glad you sorted it!

Regards,

Pete

I'm not sure that this is the complete solution. I occasionally have a similar problem, but have never been able to reproduce it reliably.

Sometimes WideClient saves incorrect position and size information (to the Window= parameter) often involving large negative numbers. When it's restarted, the window exists but is entirely positioned off the screen and is thus invisible. This can be fixed by manually removing or editing the Window= parameter in WideClient.ini. Perhaps WIdeClient is incorrectly saving its position and size information on exit?

Sometimes WideClient saves incorrect position and size information (to the Window= parameter) often involving large negative numbers.

It only saves what Windows tells it. I have WideClient on 4 PCs, changing every other year or so, and haven't had once instance of that in the six years it's been in use. The code is a standard piece used in all my programs which have windows whose positions need remembering. I really cannot imagine how the numbers could go wrong unless there's some glitch in the Windows API or video drivers scaling the pixel numbers.

You can get valid negative coordinates with multiple screens if you have it on, say, a number 2 screen which you positioned to the left of your number 1 screen.

Regards,

Pete