The simFlight Network Forums

X-Plane

are there plans to develop an FSUIPC (XUIPC or "FSUIPC emulator") for X-Plane to make all the stuff compatible with it ?

Not that I know of.

Is it possible with the SDK to develop something like this ?

Is there an SDK for X-plane? If you can get inside X-plane in the same way as you can with FS, and if it has compatible information and control methods, then I don't see why someone couldn't do this. There is no problem reproducing the interface, that is not restricted, it is freely published, so if someone wants to produce an X-Plane version of it they are at complete liberty to do so. But it is going to need knowledge of X-Plane internals, not FS.

Regards,

Pete

yes there is an SDK for X-Plane: http://www.xsquawkbox.net/xpsdk/index.html

Okay. So, if that provides enough information to at least make a start on an IPC interface compatible with the one for FS. You'll need to go through each offset in the Programmer's Guide, in the FSUIPC SDK, to see if you can provide a compatible value in X-Plane.

Naturally, all the "memory" is provided by the interface module, not X-Plane. Even in FS, although the memory area mapped was, in FS98 and before, part of FS proper, since then less and less is, and even the little that is currently mapped into FS memory isn't where it says it is!

BTW you may want to contact the Project Magenta folks. They did make a start into dealing with X-Plane. This was last year. But I think, at that time, they found that the facilities for getting at data and exercising control in X-Plane were insufficient to support full cockpit simulation, so it was not pursued. Things may have changed with recent X-Plane releases.

Regards,

Pete

Yes, I think they (PM) stopped it...:-((( so my idea is to make an interface which "looks" like FSUIPC from "outside". So as far that I understood, you don´t use the FS memory. You have your own "list, memory" for the variables ? So I have to build up a field with the index (offset). And at first I have to answer to the requests of the application (e.g. PM) with FSUIPC Ver. so and so...??

So as far that I understood, you don´t use the FS memory.

Obviously, since FSUIPC runs as part of FS, amy memory it uses is part of FS. But the point is that viewing the variables as values planted in offsets in a contiguous are of memory is merely a fiction, an illusion created to maintain the same interface as originally invented for FS95, back when there was a "GLOBALS.DLL with all that sort of data in it.

You have your own "list, memory" for the variables ? So I have to build up a field with the index (offset).

That's really the wrong way to look at it. Think of the offset as merely an identifying code for the data it addresses. How you then handle it is up to you and what fits in best with X-plane.

And at first I have to answer to the requests of the application (e.g. PM) with FSUIPC Ver. so and so...??

No. You just implement the interface as defined. The version numbers and so on are simply more data items, just like the number of engines or the time of day. Don't treat them any differently.

Your main concern is retrieving the data from X-plane and reacting to writes through your interface by correctly influencing X-plane. I wouldn't worry about the outside looks until you have that figured out. 99.9% of the work spent on FSUIPC is working out how to do this stuff in each new version of FS -- that takes many thousands of hours. The interface part is trivial, you shouldn't need to worry about that at all.

Regards,

Pete

like already said in this forum, there is already an sdk for it at xsquawkbox.com.

and that sdk covers a lot more then the fsuipc interface..

you can even draw your own opengl objects in the xplane renderer !!

a default x-plane also provides an UDP interface, so you can read or overwrite every offset that xplane uses.

The bad thing is, that it tends to change the protocol with every version that comes out :(

(i programmed my own netwerk udp interface once, as a plugin for xplane)