The simFlight Network Forums

Registration

Pete: first let me wish you well with your eyes. I too suffered poor vision all my life until I had my cataracts (prematurely induced by flying and sailing) removed. It has taken some time to settle down but absolutely worth the temporary discomfort. My question though relates to registration and I am sure it has probably been well covered. My FSUIPC came with the PMDG NG. I want to register to get the joystick calibration in particular, but the registration screen sends me round in circles. How can I get the number needed to register? If I can get that then I will happily pay.

How can I get the number needed to register? If I can get that then I will happily pay.

Erno wonder you are going in circles! :shock: You can't have the number to enter until you've paid. If numbers were given out free, how many do you think would then pay? Why bother to have a number in that case? It then amounts to a voluntary payment scheme, which I tried first and which failed dismally, I'm sorry to say. :cry:

See the FSUIPC user document? It is in the FSUIPC ZIP. There's a section there, early on, about how to pay, and a link to the web site to do it.

There is also an Announcement near the top of this forum entitled "Paying for FSUIPC -- the Why and How". Check there.

There is also a link on the main download page over at http://www.schiratti.com/dowson clearly marked "For the FSUIPC Registration Page ...".

There is even a link provided in the "List of Current Supported Versions" announcement near the top of this Forum. It starts "Registration at ...".

Not sure there are many other places I could plaster the information? :wink:

Pete

Now, now. My kids call me crusty. I attempted to come through via the module placed on my sim by PMDG, and that's where the circularity began. I separately downloaded UIPC but when I attempted to install it I was told I couldn't as there was already a version in place. Believe me I want to pay, but the instructions on the registration frame put there by PMDG told me to use the number provided by the supplier, in this case PMDG. And there is no number that I can find. So. Do I uninstall the PMDG version, install yours, then pay my money and get the number? I think I'm scared to read your reply!

Now, now. My kids call me crusty. I attempted to come through via the module placed on my sim by PMDG

PMDG's products work without you having to pay separately for FSUIPC. They have a licence.

I separately downloaded UIPC but when I attempted to install it I was told I couldn't as there was already a version in place.

The installation instructions, which are also in the User documentation, merely say to copy the FSUIPC.DLL into the FS Modules folder. If there is an existing one then it will simply replace it -- Windows takes care of that, as it doesn't allow more than one file with the same name in the same folder. It may prompt you for confirmation that you do want to replace it, but there shouln't be anything stopping you installing a new version. That is, unless you have FS running at the time. You cannot replace bits of FS whilst it is running, and FSUIPC effectively becomes a part of FS.

Believe me I want to pay, but the instructions on the registration frame put there by PMDG told me to use the number provided by the supplier, in this case PMDG.

PMDG have lousy documentation then, because they register automatically for FSUIPC access and shouldn't need any number whatsoever for their programs to run. I suggest you report this mess back to PMDG, but it seems odd that this is the first time I have heard of any of their customers getting in such a tangle.

Do I uninstall the PMDG version, install yours, then pay my money and get the number? I think I'm scared to read your reply!

There is no such thing as a "PMDG version" and "my version". At any time there is one current version, and that is the version listed in the announcement near the top of the forum (3.30 at present). All that happens is that many companies supply and install FSUIPC with their package so it is complete and working when the customer installs it all. Usually the version they supply is a little out of date, that's all.

User registration is a separate matter entirely and nothing whatsoever to do with PMDG. PMDG customers do not need user registration if they do not need the extra FSUIPC facilities. Once you do register it won't matter which version 3.xx of FSUIPC you have installed, the registration covers you for all of them. It is best to keep up to date, though. That's why I post announcements here, regularly.

I still don't understand, though, how you are travelling in circles over this. :(

Regards,

Pete

mea culpa. Following your clear instructions I have bought the numbers, and once my 3 hr download from FSGenesis is complete I will enter them. And now I go off chastened to bed! But remember with computers and the people that use them Murphy's Law always applies.