The simFlight Network Forums

ActiveRadar and its' Weather Tracking mode across WideFS

Hi Pete

I originally discussed this issue with Damian Clark and thought at one point that we had solved it. But, alas it still recurrs. This is how I described the problem for Damian:

Why is the information displayed on the weather tracking mode screen not updated when the FS9 weather is updated by AS2004?

I run AS2004 on a client PC and update ActiveRadar via WideFS. I have not yet created a flight plan as until now I have only flown circuits in the pattern around Orcas Island since purchasing AS2004. I have selected Online updates and the weather and surface winds are update regularly. This works just fine. The cloud and wind changes are reflected in the Radar Situation mode! However, the information displayed in the Weather Tracking mode does not change! Why is this ? Is it because a flight plan is missing?

On one occasion I have reinstalled ActiveRadar on my FS9 PC and this did the trick next time I used FS9 and AS2004. However, the next day I was back to where I started ....the Weather Tracking mode again did not function.

Damian Clark replied:

The “Closest Station 1000” indicates that FSUIPC is not allowing access to ActiveRadar. This looks like the old problem we’ve seen that has been reported about 4 times now. There is some kind of issue with FSUIPC accreditation where certain systems fail to allow AR to properly access FSUIPC and thus FS wx values.

By re-installing, the FSUIPC accreditation process treats AR as a new application, allowing it to work until the computer is restarted (at which time the “bug” takes over).

It does appear that something strange with your network setup is “helping” this bug. There are so many networking problems that can occur with WideFS. I have a home cockpit setup myself, using 3 machines (2 clients, 1 server), and had many problems (unlike yours, but could be related) until I did some things:

Make sure to use windows XP Only on all machines

Install the latest windows updates on all machines

Install the latest video and network drivers on all machines

Use TCP/IP only (no IPX/SPX)

Do not use automatic IP address (DHCP) configuration. Specify static address on all machines.

Do not use wireless in any of this WideFS network – hard connections to each other only

I highly recommend contacting Pete Dowson (there is a forum at SimFlight.com) about this issue, he may be able to help! As for AS2004, as long as AR is showing “closest station 1000” we know that the problem is with FSUIPC/WideFS and the network/accreditation, and must sort that out first.

I followed all of Damians suggestions and many more but still haven't managed to get the Weather Tracking mode across WideFS working consistently. It is indeed still necessary to do a complete reinstall of ActiveRadar on my server PC every time I want it to work in FS9 when AS2004 is active on the client PC.

I'm wondering whether, in working on the MR2 update for AS2004, you and Damian have gotten any closer to a solution Pete?

Cordiallly,

David

Aarhus, Denmark

Damian Clark replied:

The “Closest Station 1000” indicates that FSUIPC is not allowing access to ActiveRadar. This looks like the old problem we’ve seen that has been reported about 4 times now. There is some kind of issue with FSUIPC accreditation where certain systems fail to allow AR to properly access FSUIPC and thus FS wx values.

No, this really cannot be anything near the correct explanation. Go tell Damian. You have been programming buttons and keys, yes? This means you have a fully user registered FSUIPC installation. There is NO accreditation checks on any DLLs, Gauges, programs, or anything else for a registered user. That whole part of FSUIPC is completely unused once you register as a user.

By re-installing, the FSUIPC accreditation process treats AR as a new application, allowing it to work until the computer is restarted (at which time the “bug” takes over).

No, FSUIPC has no idea whether you've just installed anything or not. That really is a straw Damian is clutching at that is totally irrelevant.

I highly recommend contacting Pete Dowson (there is a forum at SimFlight.com) about this issue, he may be able to help! As for AS2004, as long as AR is showing “closest station 1000” we know that the problem is with FSUIPC/WideFS and the network/accreditation, and must sort that out first.

There is no such thing as Network accreditation, and I haven't the foggiest idea what Damian is on about here.

It is indeed still necessary to do a complete reinstall of ActiveRadar on my server PC every time I want it to work in FS9 when AS2004 is active on the client PC.

So, something is different in that's software's data when it is initially installed, which it is corrupting thereafter. It is really all in Damian's own hands. There is no way either FSUIPC or WideFS can retain any memory of anythng affecting applications between sessions. That is just plain not happening. It must be something in the data Damian's software is using.

Is "installing ActiveRadar" more than just moving in the DLL? If so, see what is being changed in the data files it installs. the answer has to lie there.

I'm wondering whether, in working on the MR2 update for AS2004, you and Damian have gotten any closer to a solution Pete?

MR2? What's that? Sorry, I am not in Damian's Beta team, we have only discussed wind smoothing and direct wind control mechanisms.

Sorry, Damian has not mentioned a word about this to me before blaming my software in this way. I find that quite annoying and will be asking him what he thinks he means by it.

Regards,

Pete

Hi,

First, let me apologize to Pete for incorrectly assuming the problem was with FSUIPC and/or WideFS and for accusing such programs.

Second, I must apologize to Mr. Ramsey for not properly diagnosing and providing solution to the problem which after more careful review is obviously related to the ActiveRadar connection process. It is not the same as the other past old issues I made mention of.

This was a mis-communication, mis-classification, and poorly-handled support ticket on my part.

Mr. Ramsey, please contact me directly via damianc@hifisim.com for immediate troubleshooting and resolution. Please send me your as2004.ini, and list the installed locations of FS and ActiveSky2004 on the relevent machines. Also please detail your mapped drive configuration between the two machines (which drive letters to which shared locations). Please accept my apologies and I will do everything I can to get this solved ASAP.

Thanks...

Damian Clark

Thanks Pete for your indulgence and exceptional patience in dealing with this matter. Hopefully, Damian Clark & I will now be able to work towards a viable solution. I will contact Mr. Clark with the additional information he requires towards the weekend when the demands of my professional career can once again wait until Monday morning :wink: .

Best regards

David

Aarhus, Denmark.

Thanks Pete for your indulgence and exceptional patience in dealing with this matter. Hopefully, Damian Clark & I will now be able to work towards a viable solution.

Yes, it looks like there was a case of misunderstanding somewhere down the line. I'm sure Damian will sort it out. I know his support efforts are excellent. Please let me know after it is all resolved.

Regards,

Pete

Hello again Pete

This morning I was in the process of preparing material to send Mr. Damian Clark as prescribed, when it occured to me that I might as well install your lastest version of WideFS - v6.40 and a strange thing has happened.............

The Weather Tracking mode of ActiveSky2004 now works consistently across WideFS. No problems or so it seems. Now that is really weird!!

If it continues to work over the next couple of days, then I guess someone owes Mr. Clark an apology :roll: .

Cordially, David

Aarhus, Denmark

If it continues to work over the next couple of days, then I guess someone owes Mr. Clark an apology :roll: .

Not sure you need to do that, though it does seem you didn't supply enough information?

There's nothing in WideFS which is remotely connected to registration checking, and the re-installation of ActiveRadar on your Server couldn't possibly be seen by WideFS. All that the change in WideFS versions is probably doing is changing some timings very slightly -- a change to the next FSUIPC might do the same -- and so masking the error, whatever it is.

The fact that it occurs on so few systems does indicate that the conditions needed for the error to manifest itself are critical. Maybe the re-installation so that 'clean' short files are being accessed does the same thing -- i.e. alter the timings slightly.

Regards,

Pete

Hello Pete

Interesting..........And, I'm not doubting what you tell me.

Indeed, what I've now established beyond doubt is that if the client PC is started first, and up and running when the Server is started, the Radar Tracking mode works properly, but not when the reverse is true.

I know Mr. Clark is supposed to be giving me the answers. Even so, I'd appreciate your opinion.

Cordially, David

Indeed, what I've now established beyond doubt is that if the client PC is started first, and up and running when the Server is started, the Radar Tracking mode works properly, but not when the reverse is true.

Sounds like his code doesn't bother to check whether FS is up and running before starting, and then never retries some of its initialisation sequences later on. Tell Damian that.

Best way to deal with such programmes would be to use the "RunReady" parameters in WideClient.ini to start them up when FS and WideServer is good and ready.

Regards,

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again Pete

I eventually solved the problem myself . I have the danish version of Win XP but roughly translated it goes like this: In the “Folder Preferences” and “View” choose “Search automatically for all networked folders and printers”. It is not enough to just select this and click “OK”. It has to be applied to “ALL FOLDERS” and this has to be done on both PC’s. :P

This did the trick!

Cordially, David

I eventually solved the problem myself . I have the danish version of Win XP but roughly translated it goes like this: In the “Folder Preferences” and “View” choose “Search automatically for all networked folders and printers”. It is not enough to just select this and click “OK”. It has to be applied to “ALL FOLDERS” and this has to be done on both PC’s. :P

This did the trick!

I'm glad you sorted it out. That must be something to do with AS, as neither WideFS nor FSUIPC care about all that stuff. Maybe a note to the AS tech support so something can be added to their docs?

Regards,

Pete