The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC - Buttons Tab

The FSUIPC Buttons Tab is constantly in a "flickering" mode and unable to make any entries. I'm thinking there is some sort of control assignment conflict. I recently installed the new CH Thottle Quadrant and still tinkering with things, mainly throttle calibrations. I deleted FSUIPC.ini but the "flickering" continues.

Also, I've tried to delete certain joystick assignments in FS9. No matter what I do, the assignments return. These assignments must be loaded somewhere in a .ini or .cfg file ? Is there a way to permanently gid rid of some assignments ?

The FSUIPC Buttons Tab is constantly in a "flickering" mode and unable to make any entries.

I assume that you mean the joystick and button numbers are flickering, not the whole window? If this is the case you have at least two buttons which are constantly making and breaking contact.

I'm thinking there is some sort of control assignment conflict.

Assignments would not produce any such effect. The Buttons programmming window uses a routine which scans all connected joysticks and displays the last one with the last button to be seen changing from "not pressed" to "pressed". If only one button was doing so it would not flicker, but stay showing that value, but with two or more it will look to FSUIPC as if you are still selecting buttons and therefore it tries to show the last one you pushed.

Note that is scanning not only applies to real joysticks connected to your FS PC, but also buttons on GoFlight units, and on other PCs if you use WideFS.

It also applies to "virtual buttons", which need not be hardware at all but application programs writing to specific offsets in FSUIPC.

I recently installed the new CH Thottle Quadrant and still tinkering with things, mainly throttle calibrations.

Does the flickering stop if you unplug that? You will need to follow some process of elimination to ascertain what is causing the problem, whether add-on hardware or add-on applications. It isn't just a matter of not being able to use the Window for programming the buttons (you can always do it by direct editing in the INI file instead), you need to know what is causing it and which buttons are affected so you can either stop them or avoid using them at all -- they obviously aren't of any practical use if they a going on and off all the time.

I deleted FSUIPC.ini but the "flickering" continues.

Any existing assignments in the INI file will be totally irrelevant in any case --- as I say, the window is trying to show you the lasst button pressed and that is evidently constantly changing.

Also, I've tried to delete certain joystick assignments in FS9.

Again, those are not relevant at all to FSUIPC's button scanning.

No matter what I do, the assignments return. These assignments must be loaded somewhere in a .ini or .cfg file ? Is there a way to permanently gid rid of some assignments ?

You deleted everything FSUIPC knows about when you deleted the INI file. This is nothing whatsoever to do with assignments -- it is buttons which are constantly making and breaking contact.

Regards,

Pete

There are two virtual buttons on each lever, one should be on when the lever is in the detent and one should be on when the lever is behind the detent. My guess is you're running it with the Control Manager installed but no map running. If so, get to the calibration screen for the Quad, either through the Game Controllers "Properties" button or through the Control Manager GUI, for the Quad and click the "Throttle Settings" tab up at the top. Widen the deadzone for that axis a bit, then click the "Apply" button. Pete mentioned it taking two buttons, probably what you've got run into is that the transition from the "in-the-detent" button to the "behind-the-detent" button is happening while you're still in the detent, probably at the back edge, and it keeps bobbling between the "in-the-detent" and the "behind-the-detent" buttons. Widening the deadzone will move that transition point further back so the lever has to come out of the detent a bit further before the transition happens and it should stabilize it. Might also help to check the calibration while you've got the applet open.

- Bob

The StickWorks

http://www.stickworks.com