The simFlight Network Forums

"FS9 Shutsdown Unexpectedly"

Flight simulator shuts down unexpectedly when flying. I receive the error messages below from the event log.

Any ideas?

Has the issue with using Wide FS and ActiveSky been fixed in build 163? I notice Pete Dowson and Activesky are working very closely now.

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 7.

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 6.

Thanks!

Flight simulator shuts down unexpectedly when flying. I receive the error messages below from the event log.

Any ideas?

No, sorry. There's no useful information in those in any case. If you are still using FS2004 original release, try updating with the FS9.1 update. It fixes a lot of possible "crash to desktop" problems.

Has the issue with using Wide FS and ActiveSky been fixed in build 163? I notice Pete Dowson and Activesky are working very closely now.

What issue with WideFS and ActiveSky? None has been notified to me. What a strange thing to say.

As for "working closely", I've always supported programmers in interfacing to FSUIPC. Damian in not the only application prtogrammer to receive answers to questions and advice from time to time.

Please explain yourself a little more clearly if you want proper answers, eh? :wink:

Regards,

Pete

I am running the FS 9.1 update.

I had two of these today. I am currently sitting at an airport. I leave the computer on all the time. I have AS running now. I am at MMOX. Last night at about 2:25am according to the event log I received the same two messages. I was asleep at the time. AS was the only program running through WideFS at the time. When I fly Radar Contact uses Wide FS connection with AS.

I flew today at about 5:15 pm and received the second FS shutdownno error messages. Same error messages in event log at 2:25am when not flying (sitting on the tarmac) and 5:55pm in flight.

In flight this has happened before but in different places. I checked to make sure I do not have duplicate AFCAD's, and the usual problems where these CTD's occur per other threads in forum.

Furthermore, another user replied to my post in the avsim AS forum:

I'm experiencing a similar problem although I am not sure if they are related. My FS9.1 crashes to the desktop unexpectedly with no error message whatsoever. It doesn't happen too frequently but enough to be quite troublesome when I'm halfway through a flight. I actually have no idea what would cause the problem but I noticed the following in the WideClient log. I have posted this on Pete's FSUIPC forum as well as here. I hope we can work something out.

********* WideClient.DLL Log Class=FS98MAIN *********

Date (dmy): 13/12/04, Time 09:42:17.828: Client name is SHUTTLE

94 Attempting to connect now

750 New Client Application: "AS2004" (Id=3180)

1062 Connection made okay!

30703 New Client Application: "FSRealTime" (Id=3020)

3334375 Error on client post-Connection Select() Software caused connection abort

3334453 Ready to try connection again

3334453 Attempting to connect now

3335391 Error on client pre-Connection Select() Connection refused

3335391 Ready to try connection again

3335406 Attempting to connect now

3364922 Reception maximum achieved: 22 frames/sec, 1111 bytes/sec

3364922 Reception average achieved whilst connected: 7 frames/sec, 297 bytes/sec

3364922 Max receive buffer = 711, Max send depth = 2

3364922 ********* Log file closed (Buffers: MaxUsed 4, Alloc 41350 Freed 41350 Refused 0) *********

I am seeing the same behavior on my setup.

FROM AS SUPPORT

Hi All,

Could be WideFS.

Hope this helps,

Jim

ActiveSky Support

In flight this has happened before but in different places. I checked to make sure I do not have duplicate AFCAD's, and the usual problems where these CTD's occur per other threads in forum.

Seasonal texture problem? Video drivers? Overheating?

Sorry, I really can't diagnose CTDs. Before FS9.1 there were loads of possible reasdons. Since 9.1 there are less, but I doubt they are all fixed.

Furthermore, another user replied to my post in the avsim AS forum:

Please see his thread next to this one, here. I don't want to repeat the whole exchange again.

Could be WideFS.

No, it couldn't. Why say that? Please ask the AS support person to justify that throw away remark. He is probably just as depressed with you blaming AS as I am with folks blaming me.

Scan through some other forums sometime. Folks who use none of my programs get CTDs too you know! FSUIPC or WideFS get all the stick all the time, and it is very depressing, but there are far more users without such problems than with, and certainly enough folks not using anything of mine who get identical problems to prove it is not specific to my programs.

Regards,

Pete

I am a professional Test Engineer for Delta Air Lines. I understand the Software Development Life Cycle.

I am blaming no one, but a problem exists with communication between two computers per the event viewer. There is a defect!!! Whether AS or you want to admit it.

This is a reproducable bug and it abhors me to know you are so obtuse about the dilemna considering I am a registered user of both FSUIPC and WIDEFS.

Obviously, problems exist with your code because you come out with new versions every so often and AS develops new builds. Users are reporting problems. So take notes and do not be so offended!!!

Thank you!

I am a professional Test Engineer for Delta Air Lines. I understand the Software Development Life Cycle.

[\quote]

Good. Well done.

This is a reproducable bug and it abhors me to know you are so obtuse about the dilemna considering I am a registered user of both FSUIPC and WIDEFS.

Obtuse? Hmmm. Reproducible? Good, that helps! Tell me the exact steps I need to take to reproduce it on my PC please. You seemed to be saying it occurs irregularly, unexpectedly, but now it has become reproducible?

Why are YOU so sure it is anything to do with WideFS or FSUIPC? There is nothing to indicate this. Your "event logs" have no such information. Read one again, here:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 7.

Registry information, message DLLs to display messages from a remote computer? What has that to do with anything any of my programs do? That all sounds very much system level stuff to me, to do with your Windows set up.

Obviously, problems exist with your code because you come out with new versions every so often

You can say the same for any software product, although some others never get fixed. For my own programs, of the changes made in each successive version, around 90% are new facilities (mostly requested by users) or improved performance, and, yes, 10% are fixes to bugs, mostly introduced by the last round of additions. This is a regular thing. FSUIPC is added to continuously and is a full time job. Show me another product with so much support and attention to detail.

WideFS has been running now for over six years with relatively minor changes. Its Network handling is all bog-standard Microsoft code direct from their own examples. Of course there are bugs, no non-trivial software is ever free of bugs, but there are far more bugs in FS itself, in video drivers, in Windows, than there are in the relatively trivial parts played by my contributions.

Folks always blame FSUIPC or WideFS first, on the basis of no evidence whatsoever. It's in the "middle" of things and an easy target. When there are isolated instances of CTDs these have always turned out to be something else. If you do have some evidence, or some way of narrowing things down, please let me see it so I can fix it, but at present I am 99% sure it is not in my ability or responsibility to fix these specific problems.

Users are reporting problems. So take notes and do not be so offended!!!

There is nothing to note yet. Of course I will give it my attention when it seems to be justified, but so far everything points to other things. Sorry. And actually I wasn't offended until now.

Sorry you feel the way you do. When and if you can isolate your problem fursther, please let me know. I can really do nothing here about it. Both FSUIPC and WideFS trap their own errors and log them.

If you wish to try the very latest Beta version of FSUIPC and WideFS, just in case something about the changes helps or otherwise, please write to me at petedowson@btconnect.com and I will send them. I am hoping to get them out as new versions by the weekend.

Regards,

Pete

Pete,

I apologize if I offended you. It just seems as though AS wants to pass the buck that it is your software. Both programs AS and yours are great packages but it is frustrating for the end user when these crashes occur and no one has any clues as to what the cause is.

I am researching that error message I posted from my event viewer. I believe I can get more information using the /AUXSOURCE= flag. I think my Remote Registry Service is turned off. I will enable that service and let the sim sit at an airport and hopefully, this will give me a more detailed description of what is occuring when the FS shuts down on the ground or in the air.

On a separate note, I have been reading over the FSUIPC and WIDEFS documentation and I have a couple questions:

*Using the parameter TitleBarUpdate you indicate that if this is set to YES other programs and add-ons may not run correctly. Do you have a known list of apps that require a NO to this parameter?

*I have seen posts revolving around the issue of using DXT3 textures and having "render to texture" enabled in FS. The posts indicate that using this combination with FSUIPC/WideFS can cause crashes. Is their any truth to this claim?

I received the following from Damian at Activesky but I cannot find it anywhere in the FSUIPC & WideFS documentation.

"FSUIPC requires render to texture off as documented. Not sure why anyone would release an add-on incompatible with FSUIPC?"

Damian Clark

HiFi Simulation Software

Developer of ActiveSky

http://www.hifisim.com

Thank you.

It just seems as though AS wants to pass the buck that it is your software. Both programs AS and yours are great packages but it is frustrating for the end user when these crashes occur and no one has any clues as to what the cause is.

Well, normally Damian is quite good at this, and discusses things with me first. I have no idea why he is doing this now.

*Using the parameter TitleBarUpdate you indicate that if this is set to YES other programs and add-ons may not run correctly. Do you have a known list of apps that require a NO to this parameter?

No. That comment dates back about 5 years or so, and refers to programs which interface to FS and find out automatically which version is running by reading the text in the title bar. Unfortubately some of them compared the whole string which is obviously different if WideServer has added its bits.

I really cannot remember which they were, but it is unlikely that they are still around in the same form today.

*I have seen posts revolving around the issue of using DXT3 textures and having "render to texture" enabled in FS. The posts indicate that using this combination with FSUIPC/WideFS can cause crashes. Is their any truth to this claim?

I have no idea how it is at all possible for any texturing or any graphics in FS to have anything whatsoever to do with any activity at all in WideFS or FSUIPC. Where do you read these things? Certainly no one has mentioned anything like that to me that I remember at all. Neither FSUIPC nor WideFS have any relation to anything graphical, either inside or outside FS.

"FSUIPC requires render to texture off as documented. Not sure why anyone would release an add-on incompatible with FSUIPC?"

No, that's wrong. The only thing he might be referring to is the flickering of 2D panels when clouds are redrawn, by FS's own weather engine, on the behest of a weather program. Apparently this can be fixed by turning render to texture off. There's some notes about that near the end of the FSUIPC User Guide. But it is in no way an "FSUIPC requirement", it's something weird with Fs's graphics handling.

Regards,

Pete

Pete;

Last night my car started making this kinda funny ker-chunky sound, with a little bit of high-pitched wheezsazz noise at times.

At the same time, my son's GameCube started randomly re-booting, usually right around the time I told him to head for bed. I usually flash the lights at him, and I think the GameCube may be plugged into the same socket as the lamp.

These two events certainly cannot be coincidences. I have four college degrees, and wrote a computer program once, and I feel sure that it must be a bug in FSUIPC.

Fix it or else!!

:lol:

Cheerio

Bob

Fix it or else!!

Hi Bob,

Thanks for trying to cheer me up! Actually I'm not too down, but it does seem, sometimes, that there's always a rash of weird symptoms I need to deal with just when I'm on the point of freezing a new version ready to document and get out the door!

Best wishes,

Pete