The simFlight Network Forums

WideClient refuses to start

Hi folks,

I have setup a new computer (WinME and IPX) but WideClient refuses to start: in its logfile it says: Network is down. I don't believe this since I have 5 more hosts setup nearly identically and file sharing with the "old"

computers works fine. I can also ping all hosts on the network...

Now I reinstalled everything, but still no luck! Here's the Wideclient logfile:

********* WideClient.DLL Log [version 5.41] *********

Date (dmy): 10/03/03, Time 14:44:41.580: Client name is FO-MFD

306 Client connect() failed [Error=10050] Network is down

10858 Failed to start Client!

What means error 10050? Does anybody know what to do? :?: :?:

Thanks,

Michael

PS: Yes, Wideserver v5.41 is running on another host with 5 clients connected ;-)

>> What means error 10050? Does anybody know what to do? <<

According to the Winsock documentation, 10050 means "Network is down". This is why I include that text in the error message. All WideClient is doing is attempting to start the service, yet when it tries, Windows replies with that error. In case it is useful, here is some expanded text from MS sources:

----------------------------------------------

WSAENETDOWN

(10050)

Network is down.

A socket operation encountered a dead network. This could indicate a serious failure of the network system (that is, the protocol stack that the Windows Sockets DLL runs over), the network interface, or the local network itself.

----------------------------------------------

I must admit I don't like WinME and regard it as the biggest mistake Microsoft ever made. I tolerated it for a full two days when it came on a new Notebook of mine a while back -- then I reformatted the HD and went back to Win98SE.

Howwever, that said, there must be some way of resolving your problem. Maybe the ServerNode you are specifying is wrong? Maybe you are not specifying a ServerNode and Windows ME wants one?

A friend of mine who had Win98SE on one PC and WinME on his notebook NEVER ever managed to get the ME machine to see the other -- he eventualy upgraded to XP instead.

You could also try changing everything over to TCP/IP instead. If you ever intend to move on to XP in the future that would probably be needed in any case. Version 5.41 performas quite well on TCP/IP, much more smoothly than it used to. That's where I've been doing most of the recent work on it.

Regards,

Pete

Lefteris,

Are you sure? IPX installs and runs with XP Home as well - or as bad :x - as with XP Pro...

Michael,

Did you check the network card as I told you? The message "network is down" refers to a network problem on this particular computer, not to the whole network. What NIC is it? Did you update its drivers?

>>just a small clarification: IPX/SPX works beautifully on XP, but you have to have WinXP Professional - it's not supported on XP Home <<

Well I had it working on XP Home, but not very well. It is supported, but badly. I think it is all right if you can get by using IPX/SPX only, no TCP/IP or NetBeui or anything.

With any mixed network (Win98SE, Win2K, WinXP) then a 100% only TCP/IP Network seems to be the only way to get everything working really smoothly. Since I made that decision and change I've not looked back!

Regards,

Pete

Guest guru22

Hi Pete, Katy and all others!

Thank you for your help! I will be changing the NIC and will use the latest drivers (and even change over to TCP/IP).It's the problem itself that drives me crazy: Many other hosts are identical (same NIC, same Windows) and make no problems at all :shock:

Anyway, I will keep you posted about any efforts I can make.

Best regards,

Michael

Guest guru22
There seemed to be some error in WinME's IPX init-code :?:

I think that is true. Both my friend and I had no joy at all with WinME. In my case I went back to Win98SE, in his case forward to WinXP. I think ME is well worth skipping altogether.

Glad you are sorted out with TCP/IP now -- it isn't anywhere near as fast as IPX/SPX (too many layers and overheads for efficient LAN use), but at least I managed to tweak it enough to run smoothly with PM, in WideFS 5.41. Hope that's what you are seeing!

Regards,

Pete

Guest guru22

Ok now, every node is switched to TCP/IP, IPX is completely banned and PM runs fine on all hosts.

There seemed to be some error in WinME's IPX init-code :?:

Ciao,

Michael