The simFlight Network Forums

Reverse Thrust with CH Throttle Quad.

I have just purchsed FSUIPC and am getting accustome to it. I just have some quick questions...

Is there a way to program a key comand to reverse the throttle axis to allow for reverse thrust to be applied with forward movement of the throttle levers?

Or

Is there a way to program a key command to deploy the reversers and apply throttle with forward movement of the throttles.

Last question...

I have read in the manual that you can assign reverser commands to the mixture control. When doing that how is the reverse activated, do you pull the mixture control back to apply reverse thrust??

Thank you!

Is there a way to program a key comand to reverse the throttle axis to allow for reverse thrust to be applied with forward movement of the throttle levers?

No. I'm not sure why you would want that. Reverse thrust levers pull back to increase thrust.

Is there a way to program a key command to deploy the reversers and apply throttle with forward movement of the throttles.

No. Isn't that the same thing?

The CH quadrant has a detente position for idle. You'd normally want to program reverse thrust below that, pulling back. You can, alternatively, employ a separate reverser axis -- either one for all engines, or up to 4 separate ones (using the current interim release 3.475 available above). In both cases you can, if you wish, reverse that axis, though it still seems to me an odd thing to do. Also in both cases you have to reduce the normal throttles to idle before reversers can be engaged.

I have read in the manual that you can assign reverser commands to the mixture control.

It isn't that you "can" assign reverser(s) to mixture control(s), they are already assumed assigned that way in FSUIPC. That can be changed by editing the FSUIPC.INI file, but the default is to assume mixture control inputs. Whether those mixture controls are actually assigned on your quadrant is another matter -- you do that via FS's Assignments, not FSUIPC.

The reverser action is not programmed unless you actually calibrate the reverser (or reversers) in FSUIPC. Then they will operate, optionally on Jets only (there's a checkbox for that), but only when the forward throttles are brought back to idle first, as in real aircraft. It is best to calibrate the main throttles with a good reliable idle zone so that this can be assured. There is also a parameter in the INI file which allows you to set a higher value than 0 for the "idle" acceptable for reverse engagement -- but FS usually needs a true zero idle.

When doing that how is the reverse activated, do you pull the mixture control back to apply reverse thrust??

When it is a separate axis you can choose to reverse it if you wish, just like all other axes calibrated through FSUIPC.

Regards,

Pete

Pete,

Thank you for the insight, I appreciate that.

I did try to set up the reverse thrust according to the directions, but was unsuccessful, here is what I did...

Section 3 in the joystick tab of FSUIPC

Throttle 1

pulled all the way back and pressed the reverse set button

forward of detent and pressed the idle set button

Back of detend and pressed the idle set button

full forward and pressed the max set button

Same procedure for throttle 2

The throttle would not go into reverse, did I miss something??

Thank you for your support.

The throttle would not go into reverse, did I miss something??

I don't know. There are several values displayed. What are they? When you press the Set above each column, that merely records the incoming reading at the time. You will have 4 of those. What are they?

Then, on the left there are two values shown -- the input value (the ones recorded for the 4 positions), and the resulting output values after calibration. When you pull back below the lowest of the centre values, the output value will go negative -- that gives you the reverse thrust. When the input value reaches the lowest value, the "full reverse" value in the left column, the output will be at maximum reverse thrust. Nominally this is -4096, but that will then be rescaled according to the maximum reverse thrust available on the specific aircraft. Most offer less than this (25% of full forward), but some may offer slightly more.

Don't forget that reverse will not engage unless there is no forward thrust at all -- check that you don't have any other throttle inputs operating. Also, of course, reverse thrust is not available on all aircraft.

For the CH throttle quadrant I think you will find a lot of advice specific to that device on Bob "Sticky" Church's website. http://www.ch-hangar.com

Regards,

Pete

Hi PiperArrow4,

Pete's right, the CH Hangar is a good site for CH info, but that's not really mine. I did do an article on setting up the Quad with or without FSUIPC and with or without the Control Manager. It's on the "Files" page on my website, http://www.stickworks.com. Look for CMNOTE02.ZIP, there's a WordPad .DOC file in the zip that gives some tips on how to set it up and get it all to work.

Best regards,

- Bob

The StickWorks

http://www.stickworks.com

Thanks guys!!

The problem was that out of the box the Throttle Quad. settings didn't allow for reverse past the detent, instead the bottom of reverse was set as idle. So I changed the min value for the throttles from -255 to -240 as per Bob's article and it works fine.

Thank you for the support!!!

• 1 month later...

Hey guys!

I jsut got my CH Quadrant today.

I got FSUIPC to configure my thrust levers right as they should be except the 4th engine one. For some reason it doesn't detect it. I move it forward and backward and nothing. Also the flaps are acting weird when I set them up on FSUIPC. Is there something that I need to know before setting them?

Thanks much,

Teo

Hey guys!

I jsut got my CH Quadrant today.

I got FSUIPC to configure my thrust levers right as they should be except the 4th engine one. For some reason it doesn't detect it. I move it forward and backward and nothing.

Probably the FS sensitivity is way down at zero. Make all sensitivities maximum and all null zones minimum.

Is there something that I need to know before setting them?

Check the message from Bob Church earlier in this thread.

Regards,

Pete