The simFlight Network Forums

FS FlightKeeper v2 & WideFS ?

I currently have FS 2004 + UltimateTraffic + ActiveSky2004.5 on one PC. I have a 2nd PC (client) that I was planning to install FS FlightKeeper V2 on and hope to use it to monitor my flight and AI traffic on my other FS2004 PC (host/server).

Can someone give me a basic how to accomplish this? My PC's are networked already, just need to know what software needs to be installed where and how to set that software up.

I assume I need to buy FSUPIC (registered) and WideFS (registered).

Thanks, Rob.

I currently have FS 2004 + UltimateTraffic + ActiveSky2004.5 on one PC. I have a 2nd PC (client) that I was planning to install FS FlightKeeper V2 on and hope to use it to monitor my flight and AI traffic on my other FS2004 PC (host/server).

You'd probably be better off putting ActiveSky on the second PC too. It wouyld releive some of the load on the PC you really want to keep clear for FS's needs. ActiveSky isn't a processor hog, but it may cause some jitters in FS when it is downloading weather every now and then.

Can someone give me a basic how to accomplish this? My PC's are networked already, just need to know what software needs to be installed where and how to set that software up.

You only need WideFS. Check the documentation. There's not a lot to do. Come back if you get into trouble, but most folks just install it, tell the client what the Server name is, and that's it.

I assume I need to buy FSUPIC (registered) and WideFS (registered).

Well, naturally I'd love for you to buy FSUIPC, but it isn't necessary -- you will have to buy WideFS though.

Regards,

Pete

Pete,

I will purchase both, I'm a strong believer in supporting someones hard work and effort. I'm a software developer myself and support the cause :)

Quick summary:

PC 1 (Host/Server)

-----------------------

FS2004

FSUIPC

PC 2 (client)

-----------------------

ActiveSky 2004.5

WideFS

FS FlightKeeper V2

I assume TCP/IP is a valid protocol?

Actually WideFS will have to be installed on both PCs (the Server DLL on the PC running MSFS, and the Client part of WideFS on the other PC) - however you only have to license one WideFS since the license is for the Server-part.

Pellelil,

Thank you, do you happen to know if FS Flight Tracker and WideFS will work with AirNav's FS Live Traffic?

I'm guessing it will but I'm not sure. I believe FS Live Traffic downloads US schedules (10min delay) and sets up the AI traffic -- so I'm guessing this should show in FS Flight Tracker ? Guessing is the key word here :)

Cheers, Rob.

PC 1 (Host/Server)

-----------------------

FS2004

FSUIPC

add WideServer.dll

PC 2 (client)

-----------------------

ActiveSky 2004.5

WideFS

FS FlightKeeper V2

The wideFS bit there is just WideClient.exe. You can arrange for WideClient to load the other programs for you when FS is ready for them on PC 1. I do this, then put a shortcut ot Wideclient in the StartUp folder so it loads when the client PC boots up. It doesn't do much and doesn't take up much space whilst waiting for FS.

Wideclient can also close the programs when FS is closed.

I assume TCP/IP is a valid protocol?

It's the easiest to configure and it is installed by default, so, yes, it is supported by WideFS. For a long time I only supported IPX/SPX which is slimmer and faster (not needing to work on a world-wide Internet). I had to give in as Microsoft seemed to tail off their support. It does still work though -- in fact since SP1 Windows XP has been pretty good on IPX/SPX -- problematic before then though.

Regards,

Pete

I can't say since I don't know FS Flight Tracker (I was actually today just looking at FS Flight Keeper and acording to its info it has no trouble running on another PC through WideFS).

Most FS Add-Ons that uses FSUIPC will work fine through WideFS. The only thing that can "prevent this" is if these addons needs access to other info/files from MSFS and then sometimes all you need is to map a drive through your network.

Your best bet is to contact the author of FS Flight Keeper and ask him, since he will know for sure.

Ordered FSUIPC and WideFS from simMarket, got E-mail confirmation of my order, but it seems to be stuck in "Processing..." mode??

Can't find a support number to call and find out what is going on?

Got my reg code for FS Flight Keeper, and for AirNav's FS Live Traffic, but nothing for FSUIPC/WideFS? Does it normally take more than a couple of hours to get reg codes E-mailed to me?

Ordered FSUIPC and WideFS from simMarket, got E-mail confirmation of my order, but it seems to be stuck in "Processing..." mode??

The acknowledgement is automated I think. The registration requires humans. SimMarket are pretty quick -- almost always within 24 hours, as it says. Some things I register only guarantee 2-3 days ("working days" at that).

Can't find a support number to call and find out what is going on?

What do you think will be "going on"? Has it been more than 24 hours? If so, raise a problem ticket.

Got my reg code for FS Flight Keeper, and for AirNav's FS Live Traffic, but nothing for FSUIPC/WideFS? Does it normally take more than a couple of hours to get reg codes E-mailed to me?

Yes of course. Didn't you read the details on the site? Perhpas when you ordered them folks were asleep in Germany (where SimMarket is based)? 24 hours is a pretty good turn-round, and it even applies most weekends, which is better than many.

Regards,

Pete

Sorry Pete, yes they did finally get the reg codes to me -- all is good and working as expected. I guess the software engineer in me knows that "automated" systems at this level should be able to respond in minutes -- unless they're receiving so many orders their servers can't keep up ;)

But that would imply you are a very rich man, so rich I doubt you'd be available in forums like this -- he he he

Cheers, Rob.

P.S. I'm very impressed with your work definitely worth the money I spent.

Sorry Pete, yes they did finally get the reg codes to me -- all is good and working as expected. I guess the software engineer in me knows that "automated" systems at this level should be able to respond in minutes

They aren't automated -- only the initial response is, I think.

Pete