The simFlight Network Forums

Access denied

I have downloaded 3.5.3 and tried to put it into my modules folder. Stupidly I deleted the previous 3.5.0 without backup. Now the modules folder refuses to accept either version. It is a windows message with a x saying Access denied, and gives some reasons. There is no problem with available space so I have run up against a problem that is beyond my knowledge. I would be grateful for assistance, as now I do not have FSUIPC at all. :(

I have downloaded 3.5.3 and tried to put it into my modules folder. Stupidly I deleted the previous 3.5.0 without backup. Now the modules folder refuses to accept either version. It is a windows message with a x saying Access denied, and gives some reasons. There is no problem with available space so I have run up against a problem that is beyond my knowledge.

First, why delete the previous version? The update merely involves copying the later FSUIPC.DLL fileinto your FS Modules folder. Nothing else, that is all you needed to do.

It would have helped if you had said what the reasons displayed were, but I think "Access Denied" can only occur for one of several fairly basic reasons:

1) The folder is protected -- you've restricted it in the access permissions. If this were the case you would not have been able to delete FSUIPC.DLL in the first place.

2) The file you are replacing is protected. Again, this cannot be so if you have deleted it, as it isn't there to be protected!

3) The file you are replacing is actually being used! This could only be the case if (a) you haven't already deleted it after all, and (b) FS is actually still running -- you can't change parts of a program which is running.

I can't think of anything else which could give you "access denied". The most likely conclusion therefore is that:

1. You have not actually deleted FSUIPC.DLL from the FS Modules folder after all, which is jolly good because you don't need to.

2. EITHER the FSUIPC.DLL already there is read-only, or FS is actually still running. To check and change the former, right-click on it in Windows Explorer and select "Properties", then look down near the bottom of the window which appears. Uncheck the "Read-only" check box.

To check if FS is still running, use Ctrl_Alt_Del to bring up the Windows Task Manager, select Processes, and look through the list. FS2004 will show as FS9.EXE. If it is still there, but with nothing showing for it on the desktop, then it didn't close down properly -- forcefully end it here using the button bottom right.

Regards,

Pete

Pete: many thanks for such a rapid reply. I am extremely impressed and grateful. When I put the 353 DLL into the folder it asked me whether I wanted to overwrite the 350 that was there. But after the action I still ended up with the 350. However I am not sure that I really worked it out, but I did the old standard action and rebooted. Then I had no trouble. So even though I had closed down FS something must have been running somewhere. However my crude remedy worked, 3.5.3 is installed and the Wilco 737 no longer dives out of control when the autopilot is activated. Once again I am impressed with your service and support.