The simFlight Network Forums

FS Real Time

I just installed FSUIPC version 3.60 and FS RealTime 1.76 will no longer tell me when I cross a time zone and what time zone I am in. I liked that feature and it seems that the new version of FSUIPC has stopped that.

Is there a way I can get that program functionality back?

Thanks,

Tim

Same problem here but with FSUIPC 3.60 and FS Realtime 1.79.3

Thanks, John. I'm glad it is not just me. I experimented by putting fsuipc 3.53 back and RealTime worked just fine, again. Maybe when Pete gets back he can fix it.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
I just installed FSUIPC version 3.60 and FS RealTime 1.76 will no longer tell me when I cross a time zone and what time zone I am in. I liked that feature and it seems that the new version of FSUIPC has stopped that.

Is there a way I can get that program functionality back?

How did it tell you? Was it in a line at the top of the outside view in FS? I don't know the FSRealTime option for that.

If it is in the message window, maybe you've got the options set incorrectly? Check those on the "About/Register" page in FSUIPC -- check the early pages in the documentation too.

Let me know. The new options work with all the programs I tried them with, but I don't know the FSRealTime one.

Regards,

Pete

The FS Realtime display is a single green line with red text at the top of the outside view window. It appears only when entering a new time zone.

For FSUIPC 3.60 i'm using the default settings on the "About/Register" page but changes make no difference.

I have found that starting Realtime after FltSim is running allows the message to display but only once.

For FSUIPC 3.60 i'm using the default settings on the "About/Register" page but changes make no difference.

Please check the two or three checkboxes on the lower left. The defaults are different according to whether Advdisplay is detected as installed or not. Tell be which ones are checked, if any. Tell me what you've tried to change please.

I have found that starting Realtime after FltSim is running allows the message to display but only once.

I have FSRealTime, but I don't know the option. Please tell me how to reproduce this message and I can also check it here.

Regards,

Pete

I have FSRealTime, but I don't know the option. Please tell me how to reproduce this message and I can also check it here.

Okay, I found the FSRealTime options for messages, and enabled both "When crossing a new timezone" and "When an AutoUpdate occurs".

UNLESS I check the bottom left option in FSUIPC, to suppress single line messages in FS, both types of messages appear -- scrolling across and disappearing if the option is set this way in FS, but annoyingly displayed permanently with the other FS option. I checked what FSRealTime is doing (this was with version 1.73) and it is writing the message with the option for "scroll or display till replaced" -- i.e. no time limit, unfortuanately.

So it is working okay here. If this is not how it works for you, with that option unchecked, I need more information to reproduce this please.

Regards,

Pete

I never had Advdisplay installed is it needed?

The two options I show are

FSUIPC Multiline Display Window (Checked)

Hide All Single Line Messages (Unchecked)

If I enable BOTH "When crossing a new timezone" and "When an AutoUpdate occurs" in FS Realtime 1.79.3 only "When an AutoUpdate occurs" is displayed

No.

Good, same as me.

If I enable BOTH "When crossing a new timezone" and "When an AutoUpdate occurs" in FS Realtime 1.79.3 only "When an AutoUpdate occurs" is displayed

Well, in the version I have, both are sent using exactly the same method and parameters, and both show fine. I'm not really interefering at all with any of that unless that Hide option is checked. Maybe FSRealTime is different? Mine is 1.73 not 1.793.

Pete

No.

Good, same as me.

Well, in the version I have, both are sent using exactly the same method and parameters, and both show fine. I'm not really interefering at all with any of that unless that Hide option is checked. Maybe FSRealTime is different? Mine is 1.73 not 1.793.

I'll see if I can find 1.793.

Pete

I found 1.79 on AVSIM, and installed that, and that works fine too. The display is "FS Real Time: UTC + 1", and so on. Is it the same in 1.793? Where did you get 1.793.

I checked the Logs and 1.79 is doing it in exactly the same way as 1.73 did.

[later]

Ahclicking on the Help - Update option gets me to another website with the 1.793 version on. I'll try that now ...

Pete

Ahclicking on the Help - Update option gets me to another website with the 1.793 version on. I'll try that now ...

I've installed 1.793 and that works fine too. Logging also shows that there's no difference in what FSRealTime sends for any of the messages.

I'm sorry, but i've no idea why you don't see them. There's nothing complex or odd about any of this and that part simply hasn't been affected by any of the other window changes -- I only added the "Hide ..." option because one user was left with using AdvDisplay JUST so he could hide them, which was a bit of a waste.

I am using a slightly later version of FSUIPC than you, though with no changes in this area. I'll email you a copy to try. Let me know.

[LATER]

I just tested FSRealTime 1.793 with FSUIPC 3.60, and I simply cannot get anything to go wrong. I'm flying, or slewing, across the North Sea from England to the Netherlands. It always comes up with the UTC+1 message initially, when I connect it, and with the UTC+2 message about half way over the Sea.

It isn't so good over the 20 mile English Channel hop to France -- but that isn't the message, it isn't changing to the correct time zone. I guess the boundaries aren't correct around here?

So, I'm sorry: the messages are the same format, the same parameters, as the ones you are seeing, and there's really no way FSUIPC could distinguish between them even if it wanted to. They are just strings of characters. Maybe yours are different for some reason? Or maybe, more likely, for some reason the Time Zone changes aren't actually taking place for you in any case -- the message is only a notification of an action after all. Have you checked?

I suspect there's not much else I can do. You may have to ask Joshua, the author, to look at it for you.

Regards,

Pete

I've been worrying about this odd difference between what I see and what you see with these messages, and whilst scanning through the code searching for ideas I have, I think, come across one possibility.

I have in position an extra check which wouldn't have been in place when your "working" versions of FSUIPC were in use. This is to make sure I don't try to ask FS for a message display whilst it is involved in menu or dialogue activity, or things like reloading aircraft or scenery.

Could it possibly be that, on your system, when crossing the time zone, FS is displaying some sort of reloading progress bar? On mine it doesn't -- possibly because from the UK the first zone change is over the Sea. I'll try a test further East to see.

The problem with attempting to display messages when FS is in menus, or heavily engaged in other disk-related activity, is that is sometimes seems to cause crashes or other problems. I shall have to see what I can do to relieve this check for the progress bars themselves, if this is indeed the root of the problem.

Later ...

Pete

Could it possibly be that, on your system, when crossing the time zone, FS is displaying some sort of reloading progress bar? On mine it doesn't -- possibly because from the UK the first zone change is over the Sea. I'll try a test further East to see.

No, I'm not getting any progress bars even over land in daylight.

Maybe the problem only happens when you fly over a corrected time zone, one where FSRealTime has to intervene -- elsewhere, where FS is "on the ball", so to speak, it works?

Anyway, since I've completely failed so far to reproduce any problem at all I am relying on you two gents to test it some more please -- I've sent you both FSUIPC 3.605 which removes the new check for menu/dialogue actions for all messages except those from the FSUIPC Monitor.

Let me know how you get on please. If there's still a problem, then I think we need to start going into details about scenery add-ons, and maybe get some FLT files set at places where you have problems. I would certainly need to reproduce it to preogress any further.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks for all the help, Pete. 3.605 seems to have done the trick. The Time Zone crossing display works every time, now. To test it, I just place the aircraft on a runway in a certain time zone, and then, use the World Airport Interface to plop the plane on an airport I know to be in a different time zone. Every time the green bar shows up with the red scrolling message that tells me I am in a different time zone.

The clock change is always correct using FSUIPC 3.60, just the message that I have crossed into another time zone is missing. I realize real pilots don't have such a message to inform them of the exact moment they crossed a time zone, but that is not my real purpose for wanting that message, anyway. I want to know which time zone I am in, now. That is important to me.

Thanks again, Pete. And I am sorry for all the extra work I caused you.

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

I don't usually check this forum much but I guess I should more often now. I've never received a support incident request for this particular problem so I never knew that there was a problem with FS Real Time not displaying the time-zone crossing messages while using FSUIPC v3.600. I have to say thanks Pete for handling this one and thanks again for the patch in FSUIPC v3.617. Nicely done and much appriciated. :)

Regards,

Joshua Robertson (Creator of FS Real Time)

3D Softworks Design Studios

http://www.3dsoftworks.net

• 4 months later...
I don't usually check this forum much but I guess I should more often now. I've never received a support incident request for this particular problem so I never knew that there was a problem with FS Real Time not displaying the time-zone crossing messages while using FSUIPC v3.600. I have to say thanks Pete for handling this one and thanks again for the patch in FSUIPC v3.617. Nicely done and much appriciated. :)

Regards,

Joshua Robertson (Creator of FS Real Time)

3D Softworks Design Studios

http://www.3dsoftworks.net

Hi Joshua,

So you're the guy... :D Glad to meet you. Great program. How does it look for upgrading the program for FSX? Too soon to tell?

Tim