The simFlight Network Forums

Cannot register FSUIPC - it freezes FS2004

FS 2004 works fine, I select Modules - FSUIPC and that's fine, I can change selections on Options & Settings page, but when I click on "Register" the window appears, but everything freezes. The only way out seems to be Ctrl+Alt+Delete and Windows Task Manager tells me that FS2004 is not responding.

I have tried it with 3.7.0 and 3.6.5 and both just hang. Paid to register, but can't? Can you help me resolve this problem please?

WW

FS 2004 works fine, I select Modules - FSUIPC and that's fine, I can change selections on Options & Settings page, but when I click on "Register" the window appears, but everything freezes. The only way out seems to be Ctrl+Alt+Delete and Windows Task Manager tells me that FS2004 is not responding.

Hmmm. Very strange. The registration window is just another standard windows dialogue. It sounds like it may either be a bug in the video driver you are using, or possibly a hardware problem such as faulty memory.

Otherwise possibly something else, like "window blinds" is somehow interfering with the standard dialogue process. Are you running anything at the same time as FS? Do you have anything installed which changes Windows behaviour in any way?

Sorry, I don't know what to suggest at present. See if you can find a different (more up to date perhaps?) video driver first.

If you cannot find anything which clears this up, please get back to me and I'll see if I can add some extra code to give more information about what is happening. There's been no change in this area for three years, and, as I say, it is a standard Windows call to display the dialogue, so it is very puzzling.

Regards,

Pete

Pete,

Thanks for the quick response. My laptop is only 3 months old and I am running NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 for my video. I use my laptop a lot for all sorts of things and registering FSUIPC is the only thing that has ever given me a problem so I don't suspect faulty memory (I have 1024MB RAM, an 80GB internal HD, a 100GB external HD where I keep all my FS2004 files), the processor is an Intel Core Duo T2300 running at 1,66MHz.

I don't know what windows blinds is I'm afraid. I am running the usual stuff like mail checker (set for every 30 mins) and Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 (which I turned off and tried to register FSUIPC, but with the same freeze). There is nothing added to my machine that modifies Windows. I checked about 6 weeks ago and my video driver was up to date, I'll have another look but I'd be surprised if it is that because I am not running old anything on this 3 month old, all up to date, lap top.

I'm still scratching my head and would welcome any help.

Thanks, WW

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I have the same problem. When i click "register" FS is freezing. I purchased FSUIP 3.70 and tried ist alos with 3.78. FS 9.1 runs well with some add ons, like FSNavigator, FSInn and FSCopilot. My 3GH pentium runs on WindowsXP, SP2. My grafic card is a NVIDIA GeForce 6600 with 256 MB RAM on Board.

Can you help me?

Christoph

I have the same problem. When i click "register" FS is freezing. I purchased FSUIP 3.70 and tried ist alos with 3.78. FS 9.1 runs well with some add ons, like FSNavigator, FSInn and FSCopilot. My 3GH pentium runs on WindowsXP, SP2. My grafic card is a NVIDIA GeForce 6600 with 256 MB RAM on Board.

My correspondent in July never came back, so I assume he found the solution. As I said then, there is nothing strange or special about the registration dialogue, it is standard Windows and a lot simpler than the main options dialogue.

Interesting that you found a version 3.78 from somewhere? The latest version number (before FSX) is 3.708, available above. Is that the one you mean?

Can you please tell me the version number of your video drivers, just in case that is significant?

Regards,

Pete

I run version 3.708.

I made a video driver update today. The curreent version is 91.47 released on September 14th.

Hmmm. I have that version here and have no problems. Strange.

I will add some diagnostic lines into FSUIPC and send you a separate version to testI need to get to the bottom of this.

I'm not at all well at present, some sort of 'flu' I think, so I am not able to work the long hours I normally do, so there may be a delay, but I'll try and get something done tomorrow (Thursday). I'll be in touch via Email.

Regards,

Pete

while opening the register dialog a file named FSUIPC.key with 100 Byte appears in the modules directory. Is this correct?

Yes, a KEY file will be generated, and will contain the Name and Email when you've registered. Look at it now, with Notepad. What does it say?

Am I right to understand that you click the button to Register FSUIPC, then the Registration window appears asking for your name and email address, but you cannot enter anything? Is there a flashing cursor line -- either initially or when you click the mouse on the entry field? Does the mouse pointer disappear, show busy, or what? Does nothing happen when you click anything? What about the keyboard? ESCape? Enter? Text characters? Anything?

Pete

p.s. i tried the register procedure in vga mode. same resultat: fs freeze

Okay. Some more thoughts.

First, could you switch on FSUIPC IPC read and write logging, and both Button and Axis event logging (4 selections in the Logging TAB), then reproduce the problem. Show me or send me the FSUIPC.LOG file (petedowson@btconnect.com).

Second, I searched through my emails and I just found the eventual outcome from the previous reporter of this problem, which was resolved after all! Here is exactly what he said:

Just for your info in case it happens again to

someone else: I removed all files associated with ADVdisplay and ActiGate from the FS9/Modules folder and the registration worked as advertised.

(Thanks Wayne!)

Do you by any chance have "Actigate.DLL" installed? If so, just try without it, please.

I did try with Actigate, but on its own it does nothing -- it needs specific scenery to make it do anything.

Please do this before I spend lots of time trying to work out ways to diagnose it.

Thanks,

Pete

As you said, i moved ActiGate.dll and Actigate.ini out of \modules and the registration procedure works well.

Ahso it was the same cause. I don't suppose you did the test I asked, beforehand, did you? I only asked because I thought it might help find out why Actigate is causing this freeze to occur only when the Registration dialogue is opened.

The previous user with this problem did send me Actigate, but it doesn't do anything on its own, so I couldn't reproduce the problem. Do you know what it is used with -- i.e. which Add-On? I really could do with solving the problem if possible.

Thanks,

Pete

Thanks! I'll try it now ...

I'm not getting any problems .. I installed the scenery, even placed my aircraft there, at a gate. Actigate is installed and says it is active, yet I can still reach and edit the Registration details.

Obviously there's more to thiscould you possibly send me the FLT+WX files you were using at the time you tried to register? That will select the aircraft (hopefully a default one?) and the precise positioning in the scenery, which may well be critical.

Thanks,

Pete

i sent you the files by mail. i am using the sceneries austria professional from http://www.flugwerk.at and austrian airports from http://www.fsquality.com.

my starting aircraft ist the default cessna c172p.

Thanks.

Actually the aircraft isn't the default, but one called "SAG-EDITION" which I don't have. So I loaded the default 172 instead.

Unfortunately, there is still no problem.

I'm afraid I cannot really spare much more time on this, so I think I will just have to add some warning to my documentation. I have written to the Actigate author, Arno Gerretsen, to see if he has any ideas.

no actigate entry appears in the module popdown menue in fs. (see attached image in email).

Hmmm, even though you have presumably put the DLL back into the Modules folder by now? Maybe this is part of the problem. If I have Actigate.DLL in the Modules folder, not only do I see Actigate in the Modules menu, but I have TWO modules menus!??

In your picture you have a Menu entry with a name merely "?". What is in that?

Regards

Pete

[/img]

The SAG-Edition Cessna is the training aero from the german VATSIM division. I think, only the design is changed. Gauges are taken from original Cessna.

I never saw a actigate entry. I put the dll back berfore i took the screenshot.

behind the "?" menue there is the nothing strange, only the original fs help items.

anyway, thank you for helping!

Regards

Christoph

post-16793-12868945304_thumb.jpg

I never saw a actigate entry. I put the dll back berfore i took the screenshot.

That is very strange. Even according to the Actigate documentation (I went to the website/forum) says to try de-activating it in the Menu in some circumstances. How can you if it doesn't appear?

behind the "?" menue there is the nothing strange, only the original fs help items.

Ah -- it's the "Help" menu. I see.

Regards

Pete

Hi Christoph,

I am the author of the ActiGate module. I would like to let you know that Pete mailed me about the problem and that I will take a look at it. Unfortunately I am a bit busy at the moment, so it may take a few days before I can properly test this problem.

It is weird that you do not see the ActiGate module in the menu. From that you should normally be able to disable it. It should be in the modules menu (where FSUIPC also is).