The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC 5.536 giving me woes

For the first time since getting my CH hardware set up in tandem with FSUIPC and working to my limited requirements (about 18 months and at least 4 re-installs ago) I'm now having trouble with the latest FSUIPC - 5.536.

I now have no throttle lever movement visible for about 40% of the aircrafts' quadrant and no increase in N1. Then it comes in in a rush, but then takes an age to spool up to 100% N1. Levers back to 50% and I'm back to zero power.

In the FSUIPC .ini (under Separate Throttles) it shows negative values until about halfway through the lever-travel: the detent is shown as -1632, which is clearly way off the mark.

I have changed nothing in my setup: it's a new install and I just dropped everything in place, added the 5.536 andhere I am.

Ani deas what might be going wrong?

For the first time since getting my CH hardware set up in tandem with FSUIPC and working to my limited requirements (about 18 months and at least 4 re-installs ago) I'm now having trouble with the latest FSUIPC - 5.536.

Sorry, there is no such thing as FSUIPC 5.536. It probably won't exist for at least another 3 or 4 years. Please downgrade back to the current version, which is 3.70.

When you've got a valid and correct FSUIPC installed and tested, come back by all means. But I cannot help with non-existent version at all. Sorry.

Regards,

Pete

The version I have (and had, wrongly-named) is 3.70 and the situation is as above.

Okay, so let's see what you said:

I now have no throttle lever movement visible for about 40% of the aircrafts' quadrant and no increase in N1. Then it comes in in a rush, but then takes an age to spool up to 100% N1. Levers back to 50% and I'm back to zero power.

1. Is this with a default aircraft. If not, change to a default aircraft first.

2. Are you assigning axes in FSUIPC or in FS?

3. If you are using FS with separate axes for each engine, then there are a total of 5 zones on the axis range -- below full reverse null zone, then the reverse range, then a null idle range (the "centre" settings), then the forward thrust range, and finally a null zone above full thrust. It sounds very much like you have calibrated the throttle wrongly, OR

4. Are you using the facilities for Aircraft-Specific calibrations, and if so, is this one such specific assignment set? If so, please note there is a bug in 3.70 which occurs in aircraft-specific calibrations if "ShortAircraftNameOk=No". Try changing that to "Yes" or "Substring" for now. This bug was reported by one user (only) so far and doesn't seem to occur on all systems, but I have tracked it down and the fix will be included in the next FSUIPC update. Meanwhile this parameter change is a good work-around without any side effects.

In the FSUIPC .ini (under Separate Throttles) it shows negative values until about halfway through the lever-travel: the detent is shown as -1632, which is clearly way off the mark.

If that is truly the case then it clearly needs re-calibration. The values in the INI file are only ever set by you, when calibrating. They are never changed by the program otherwise.

Regards

Pete

"If you are using FS with separate axes for each engine, then there are a total of 5 zones on the axis range -- below full reverse null zone, then the reverse range, then a null idle range (the "centre" settings), then the forward thrust range, and finally a null zone above full thrust. ........"

When you say this, do you mean,

a) in FS9

b) in FSUIPC

c) this version of FSUIPC

My current setup worked with the previous version of FSUIPC. I changed nothing in the calibration of the CH units or Maps. FS is recognizing them correctly. If I remove FSUIPC everything works correctly.

Might this have something to do with the new ability of FSUIPC to deal with axes?

When you say this, do you mean,

a) in FS9

b) in FSUIPC

c) this version of FSUIPC

Sorry, the "FS" was a typo for "FSUIPC" (ALL versions since joystick calibration wasadded about 8 years ago).

Might this have something to do with the new ability of FSUIPC to deal with axes?

No, that was well before 3.70 and is quite independent. The only new thing affecting Joystick Calibration settings in 3.70 was the "ShortAircraftNameOk=Substring" option, related to aircraft-specific settings.

Did you read all my last message? If so haven't you any other answers?

Pete

1/ I have tried with default and addon, and starting with default and moving to addon, with the same results (and all aircarft types).

2/ Axes are assigned in CH. Following CH and CMFS instructions I 'Reset Defaults' upon entering FS9 to force the CH rig over the default commands.

3/ Separate axes for each engine.

Here it's important to note that I have changed nothing in my CH setup or Maps, or the way I installed FS or FSUIPC. All previous installs have worked to a 't'.

4/ Not Aircaft Specific. When I realised something was wrong I tried that and got no luck.

You mention "Short Names": that must be deeper into FSUIPC than I have been: is that in the .ini? Where is that?

Although the CH calibration does little more than confirm that everything is okay - everything is ok! All the sliders/buttons, etc perform correctly, all the corresponding numbers are equal (I mean there's no one axis that's visibly out of sync) so the only further re-calibration I could do is in FSUIPC.

Which is where I get negative values in the detent, and 'Rev' showing on my 767 N1 gauge until about halfway up the lever travel.

If I had an older version of FSUIPC I could try that. At present it looks as this is a 'failure to communicate' between this version and my setup.

This might - might - depending on whatever help you are able to give me - be the time to drop the CH software and try and do everything in FSUIPC. Once I have it figured out it's one less potential stumbling block for FS to worry about.

Thank you for your patience.

Here it's important to note that I have changed nothing in my CH setup or Maps, or the way I installed FS or FSUIPC. All previous installs have worked to a 't'.

4/ Not Aircaft Specific. When I realised something was wrong I tried that and got no luck.

Well, that is all that has changed which could possibly affect anything in the joystick calibrations. It is really sounding as if, somehow, your FSUIPC.INI file has got corrupted. Why not just re-calibrate, or find a backup?

You mention "Short Names": that must be deeper into FSUIPC than I have been: is that in the .ini? Where is that?

It's part of the aircraft-specific facilities and applied to Buttons, Keys, Axes and Calibration sections. Since you don't use Aircraft Specific sections you wouldn't have noticed it, so it isn't of any consequence.

so the only further re-calibration I could do is in FSUIPC.

Yes, that's what you need to do.

Which is where I get negative values in the detent, and 'Rev' showing on my 767 N1 gauge until about halfway up the lever travel.

This merely confirms very strongly that you need to calibrate. It sounds very much like you have got it using default values, which would be designed to place the "centre" in the centre, of course. FSUIPC has no idea about your 'detente'. You have to calibrate the centre around that position. It is so easy to do, please just check the instructions. It is but 30 seconds work!

If I had an older version of FSUIPC I could try that. At present it looks as this is a 'failure to communicate' between this version and my setup.

No, not at all. The values in your INI file are messed up. Please just re-calibrate.

Regards,

Pete