The simFlight Network Forums

CTDs since 3.70

Hi Peter;

Just wanted to mention that every version of FSUIPC since 3.70 has caused my FS9 to crash to desktop at completely random times during flights. I do all my flights on VATSIM with SB3 so I haven't tested this behavior offline. If I return to 3.70 all is well again. If there's anything I can do to help narrow this down please let me know. Thanks.

Just wanted to mention that every version of FSUIPC since 3.70 has caused my FS9 to crash to desktop at completely random times during flights. I do all my flights on VATSIM with SB3 so I haven't tested this behavior offline. If I return to 3.70 all is well again. If there's anything I can do to help narrow this down please let me know. Thanks.

When did you first notice this? You say "every version since 3.70", but I've only just published 3.71 which is the first official release since 3.70. If you mean you've been downloading and testing interim TEST beta versions from here, and not even bothering to report any problems, how do you expect me to cope? The whole point of pre-releasing updates is to get feedback! It's rather late now. I won't be able to work much on the FS2004 version for a while.

There's absolutely nothing I can do in any case without information. First, yes, you do need to eliminate SB3 from the equation. If it doesn't occur without that, or some other add-on, then it's the interaction between that add-on and FSUIPC which needs looking at. Perhaps the SB3 code is making some assumption about something which has changed now. I don't know.

I need also to know WHEN it changed: 3.701, 3.702, 3.703, .... which?

Any logs? If the crashes are actually IN FSUIPC, then they are trapped and FSUIPC logs all the details. If not then the crash will be elsewhere -- again, possibly SB3.

:-(

Pete

I had something similar going on, and finally tracked it to a change that had occurred in my FSUIPC.ini that had removed the line:

RemoveATC=Yes

This caused the old ugly atc.dll CTD to come back and haunt me for the majority of one very frustrating weekend.

No idea how the ini file was changed, but I went back to my saved copies and it looks like the change happened around the time I upgraded to 3.70 There had been a few random dumps...but a few weekends ago I found a flight profile that really tickled the atc.dll bug and it was a steady stream of midflight CTDs. Once the param was put back...voila.

Regards

• 2 months later...
Just saw the post about the ATC bug and checked my ini and I don't have this in mine. Should this be manually put in? Never heard of this before?

It's a facility to remove ATC ops in FS9 and patch some parts of FS which otherwise cause CTDs when you have ATC switched off. These are caused by a known bug in FS9, to do with COM1 frequency tuning with ATC windows suppressed.

If you use FS's ATC windows then you don't need to use the FSUIPC facility at all.

If you look at the current FSUIPC User Guide you will find a complete sub-section on this -- it is even listed in the contents at the front.

Regards

Pete

I have zipped up my FSUIPC Ini file, like others I am having CTD can you check my ini file to ensure it is proper.

There's no such thing as a "proper" or "improper" INI file, and there's nothing you can set that will cause CTDs or fix CTDs if something is causing them.

Much more important information would be in the FSUIPC.LOG file, but even then, if it is FSUIPC you are having problems with, the Log would show the problem and you wouldn't get a CTD.

I assume you are using version 3.716? If not, try that first.

Regards

Pete