The simFlight Network Forums

WideClient unable to connect

WideClient is "Waiting for a connection" and goes no further. I'm not quite sure what to tell you.

XP on both machines and the files are in the right places.

The lines

ServerName=

Protocol=

were not present in the WideClient .ini file Config section, so I added them, choosing the TCP protocol.

I didn't know which name for the server pc to add to the .ini file: I have tried running WideClient with both the name I gave the server pc (MAIN PC) and the alpha-numeric name from within the square brackets: both result in:

"Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found"

then

running WideClient using the server pc name of MAIN PC X-5aa63c3ed7614 results in:

"Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11004] Valid name, no data record of requested type"

This is the first time I have run a network, thus my experience is nill. I am presuming that it is set up correctly: both pcs can see the shared files of the other, and I can, for example, load a flightplan into the server from the client and viceversa.

I have not had a request from my Firewall to authorise connection.

WideClient is "Waiting for a connection" and goes no further. I'm not quite sure what to tell you.

XP on both machines and the files are in the right places.

Either the brtoadcast from wideServer is not being seen on the Client, or the client cannot see the Server or is denied access. The log files (wideClient.Log in the wideclient folder, or WideServer.Log in the FS Modules folder) will help showe what is happening.

The lines

ServerName=

Protocol=

were not present in the WideClient .ini file Config section, so I added them, choosing the TCP protocol.

They are not needed at all with WinXp on both PCs, provided both PCs are in the same workgroup.

I didn't know which name for the server pc to add to the .ini file: I have tried running WideClient with both the name I gave the server pc (MAIN PC) and the alpha-numeric name from within the square brackets

What is "the alpha-numeric name from within the square brackets"? there is only one computer name -- right click on My Computer and select properties. Or look at the widseServer log, where it tells you.

I have not had a request from my Firewall to authorise connection.

Ah, you have the firewall enabled? If it is blocking WideClient I think you you will either get an error logged saying "connection refused", or often simply nothing at all. WinXP seems rather inconsistent depending, presumably, on the update state. Mostly it seems to simply hide the server completely from the client. Try disabling the firewall on the Server. If it then works, that is the problem.

Regards

Pete

What is "the alpha-numeric name from within the square brackets"? there is only one computer name -- right click on My Computer and select properties. Or look at the widseServer log, where it tells you.

see Attachment 1

When setting up the network I was told to give each computer a name, which is what I did.

I have disabled the Firewall on the server with no change: still waiting for a connection.

********* WideClient Log [version 6.71] Class=FS98MAIN *********

Date (dmy): 28/02/07, Time 10:07:51.203: Client name is YOUR-0EACAA11D5

390 Attempting to connect now

515 Server = X-5AA63C3ED7614

2765 Trying TCP/IP host "X-5AA63C3ED7614" port 8002 ...

2765 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

3984 ****** End of session performance summary ******

3984 Total time connected = 0 seconds

3984 Reception maximum: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

3984 Transmission maximum: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

3984 Max receive buffer = 0, Max send depth = 0, Send frames lost = 0

3984 ********* Log file closed (Buffers: MaxUsed 0, Alloc 0 Freed 0 Refused 0) *********

Date (dmy): 28/02/07, Time 10:07:08.093: Client name is YOUR-0EACAA11D5

360 Attempting to connect now

1360 Trying to locate server: Need details from Server Broadcast

1360 Failed to connect: waiting to try again

3360 Attempting to connect now

28625 Server = X-5AA63C3ED7614

30907 Trying TCP/IP host "X-5AA63C3ED7614" port 8002 ...

30907 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

32922 Giving up server, looking for another!

33625 Server = X-5AA63C3ED7614

35875 Trying TCP/IP host "X-5AA63C3ED7614" port 8002 ...

35875 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

38625 Server = X-5AA63C3ED7614

40875 Trying TCP/IP host "X-5AA63C3ED7614" port 8002 ...

40875 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

40938 ****** End of session performance summary ******

40938 Total time connected = 0 seconds

40938 Reception maximum: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

40938 Transmission maximum: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

40938 Max receive buffer = 0, Max send depth = 0, Send frames lost = 0

40938 ********* Log file closed (Buffers: MaxUsed 0, Alloc 0 Freed 0 Refused 0) *********

********* WideServer.DLL Log [version 6.71] *********

Blocksize guide = 4096 (double allowed)

Date (dmy): 28/02/07, Time 10:05:51.281: Server name is X-5AA63C3ED7614

67875 Initialising TCP/IP server

67890 Initialising IPX/SPX server

67890 ServerNode=0.0.5888.16433.51861

67890 Initialising UDP/IP server

68031 Broadcasting service every 1000 mSecs

79125 Restarting service due to total lack of use

104687 Closing down now ...

Memory managed: Offset records: 0 alloc, 0 free

Read buffer usage: 0 alloc, 0 free, max in session: 0

Write buffer usage: 0 alloc, 0 free, max in session: 0

Throughput maximum achieved: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

Throughput average achieved for complete session: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

********* Log file closed *********

post-9553-128689508041_thumb.jpg

When setting up the network I was told to give each computer a name, which is what I did.

Why use a name like "X-5AA63C3ED7614"? It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, does it? Mine are called things like "Upstairs1" and "Centre" and "Flying".

I'm not sure whether the Windows interface is case sensitive, but maybe you should try entering it exactly as it is shown in your My Computer properties window -- i.e. with lower case letters where appropriate.

If all else fails, trying naming the PC something shorter and more easily spelled, like "MAINPC".

I have disabled the Firewall on the server with no change: still waiting for a connection.

Well, the problem is not WideFS but simply that the client PC cannot find the server PC with that name. So either the network isn't working at all, or the name is suspect. Judging by the second log, though, the Network is okay.

You could try using ServerIPAddr to give the fixed IP address of the Server instead. You did set fixed IP addresses for each of your PCs didn't you? Check Network properties, TCP/IP Protocol. You can do it there.

The PCs should also be both in the same WorkGroup -- but I see the broadcasting did work in any case, as this occurred in one of your examples:

1360 Trying to locate server: Need details from Server Broadcast

1360 Failed to connect: waiting to try again

3360 Attempting to connect now

28625 Server = X-5AA63C3ED7614

30907 Trying TCP/IP host "X-5AA63C3ED7614" port 8002 ...

30907 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

32922 Giving up server, looking for another!

33625 Server = X-5AA63C3ED7614

35875 Trying TCP/IP host "X-5AA63C3ED7614" port 8002 ...

35875 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

... so it certainly looks as if the problem is all to do with that name. Note that I always thought computer names, like drive names, were limited in length to 11 characters or something like that, so this could be another reason.

The only information Windows is giving me is in that message "Host not found" when I ask it to find "X-5AA63C3ED7614", so it simply has to be that (awful!) name.

Regards

Pete

I couldn't find anything in your documentation about using "fixed" IP addresses.

I'm afraid WideFS documentation isn't the place to look to learn about Networking. I have to refer to Windows help and so on myself to find out what I need to do.

However, I just looked at the WideFS documentation, and it all seems to be pretty clear there. did you miss this part (within the Configure your Network section, early on).

The ServerName is the name you gave to the PC on which you will be running Flight Simulator with WideServer. If you prefer you can use the Server’s IP address instead of the name, thus:

ServerIPAddr=192.168.0.3

But I’d recommend only ever using names. If both Name and Address are provided only the latter is used. Note that if the IP Address for the server is not one of those treated by Windows as ‘local’, you may find WideClient attempting to connect via your Internet connection. I’m not really sure how all that works, but you should be safe if all your networked PCs have assigned IP addresses in the form “192.168.0.N” where N runs from 1 to 255. To assign IP addresses (at least in Windows 98—NT and so on may be different)—open up the Network Properties dialogue, find and highlight the line mentioning “TCP/IP” bound to your local Network adapter (e.g. “TCP/IP->3COM Ethernet Adapter”), then click the Properties button. In the IP Address tab, select “Specify an IP Address”, then set the IP Address to 192.168.0.N (N numbering your PCs) and the subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0.

Incidentally, assigning specific IP addresses to your PCs in this way also reduces periodic but regular stutters in Flight Simulator, caused by the Network drivers querying the Network to get an address assigned (or something like that).

If I were to use the Server's IP address do I just tag the line onto the end on the WideClient .ini file?

As it says, it replaces the ServerName parameter.

A curious note: I re-ran the Network Setup on both pcs: the client has simply renamed itself, whereas the server has created a new self, and the old one, the one with the daft name, is still visible. Just a quirk I hope and not an impediment.

I've no idea what you are talking about there, sorry.

Haven't you just tried to change the Computer name to something more sensible? Why did you use such complex and long names in any case?

To rename the computer simply right-click on "My Computer", select Properties, then the Computer Name tab, and the "Change" button.

Pete

"..........then set the IP Address to 192.168.0.N (N numbering your PCs)........"

I am presuming that the server will be "1" and the client "2".

And after numbering them, do I add, or change anything anywhere else? Either of the .ini files, for example?

I am sorry if I am becoming annoying but I find that the documentation is written in such a way that presumes a high level of computer literacy and competence.

For many people, trying to install and run WideFS will be the first time they have manually altered parameters within their computers.

Whilst I accept that it would be impossible for you to write, "Do this, do that" for all cases, "numbering your PCs" leaves a non-experienced user in the dark.

I accept that it is tiresome for you to go on and on with a customer, even more so if they have evidently not read the documentation: but in my case I have read it but failed to understand it.

"..........then set the IP Address to 192.168.0.N (N numbering your PCs)........"

I am presuming that the server will be "1" and the client "2".

It doesn't matter what they are providing they are not the same.

Haven't you tried simply renaming the PCs yet? I'm amazed that you want to do complicated things before trying something simple. And why on Earth did you name them such weird compicated long names in the first place?

And after numbering them, do I add, or change anything anywhere else? Either of the .ini files, for example?

As I already said (and reproduced part of the documentation), the ServerIPAddr parameter replaces the ServerName parameter, which you already tried.

I am sorry if I am becoming annoying but I find that the documentation is written in such a way that presumes a high level of computer literacy and competence.

But 99.99% of users never have to read that far, and if they do it would be better first to learn a little about Networks. I cannot teach Networks, all I know about them is from Windows Help and so on.

As I said right at the beginning, your problem seems to stem from the very weird names you gave to your PCs. No one else in the 9 or so years of WideFS has ever reported such problems, but then no one has ever reported using such names.

I really have no other explanation to offer. If you'd please read all of my replies not just select the more complex possibile solutions automatically, maybe it would resolve itself quicker?

For many people, trying to

install and run WideFS will be the first time they have manually altered parameters within their computers.

For most, the overwhelming majority, installing WideFS is a matter of inserting files and runing FS. For many releases now everything else has been automatic. Yours is the ONLY and FIRST case of an apparently nonsense PC name messing things up, and for reasons totally unknown to me.

If you want to get to the bottom of it I would suggest contacting Microsoft Support, who ultimately must be the source of solutions to such problems. But first I would advise simply trying the tihngs I suggest, starting with a simple re-name, as I gave step-by-step instructions for!!!

... but in my case I have read it but failed to understand it.

There's no part of it to cover your unique case, and none you would have needed to read if you had been among the 99.99% of trouble-free users. I am sorry, but I cannot anticipate every eventuality, nor can I predict what Windows will do in such strange circumstances as those you seem to have created. I am very sorry. I do try hard, but I am neither perfect nor precognisant however much I'd like to be. :-(

Regards

Pete

I'm afraid I forgot to tell you that I renamed the two PCs (serverpc and clientpc) and ran WideClient without success.

I then attributed IP addresses to both and it still wouldn't work.

What's more I lost my connection to the internet.

As I said earlier, both PCs are able to see each other, and the shared folders, and I am able to send files to or retrieve them from each other.

This makes me think that the network is set up correctly.

However, I have discovered what may be all or part of the problem:

McAfee on the client sees the network, McAfee on the server tells me that I am not connected to a network.

I have contacted McAfee but I do not expect a reply this week!

Thank you for your help and patience so far.

I will return when I have some concrete and useful information.

I'm afraid I forgot to tell you that I renamed the two PCs (serverpc and clientpc) and ran WideClient without success.

Where are the logs, please? I cannot help without information.

I then attributed IP addresses to both and it still wouldn't work.

What's more I lost my connection to the internet.

Ah. If you are using a Router, then when you stop the automatic assignment of IP Addresses you also need to be sure that the router is assigned a compatible IP address and is defined in the "Gateway" section of the dialogue where you enter the IP addresses in Windows. How you reconfigure the router itself varies from make to make.

As I said earlier, both PCs are able to see each other, and the shared folders, and I am able to send files to or retrieve them from each other.

This makes me think that the network is set up correctly.

Hardware and driver-wise, yes, but Explorer is not blocked by firewalls when you implement file sharing. It is sounding very much as if you have a firewall blocking WideFS, though I've never seen such a case reported as a "host not found" problem when trying to "GetHostByName". This is why information from the log is important. Did the reported error change when you implemented nicer and shorter PC names?

However, I have discovered what may be all or part of the problem:

McAfee on the client sees the network, McAfee on the server tells me that I am not connected to a network.

Ouch! You are running McAfee? Have you disabled its firewall, or at least told it to allow FS and WideClient access?

Regards

Pete

I have removed McAfee from the serverpc.

McAfee remains on the clientpc, with WideClient allowed full access.

The most recent logs:

Date (dmy): 01/03/07, Time 18:41:58.671: Client name is CLIENTPC

282 Attempting to connect now

407 Server = SERVERPC

2657 Trying TCP/IP host "SERVERPC" port 8002 ...

2657 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

5407 Server = SERVERPC

7657 Trying TCP/IP host "SERVERPC" port 8002 ...

7657 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

10407 Server = SERVERPC

12657 Trying TCP/IP host "SERVERPC" port 8002 ...

12657 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

14704 Giving up server, looking for another!

15407 Server = SERVERPC

17657 Trying TCP/IP host "SERVERPC" port 8002 ...

17657 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

20407 Server = SERVERPC

22657 Trying TCP/IP host "SERVERPC" port 8002 ...

22657 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

25407 Server = SERVERPC

27657 Trying TCP/IP host "SERVERPC" port 8002 ...

27657 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

29688 Giving up server, looking for another!

30407 Server = SERVERPC

32657 Trying TCP/IP host "SERVERPC" port 8002 ...

32657 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

35407 Server = SERVERPC

37657 Trying TCP/IP host "SERVERPC" port 8002 ...

37657 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

40407 Server = SERVERPC

42657 Trying TCP/IP host "SERVERPC" port 8002 ...

42657 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

44657 Giving up server, looking for another!

45407 Server = SERVERPC

47657 Trying TCP/IP host "SERVERPC" port 8002 ...

47657 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

50407 Server = SERVERPC

52657 Trying TCP/IP host "SERVERPC" port 8002 ...

52657 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

55407 Server = SERVERPC

57657 Trying TCP/IP host "SERVERPC" port 8002 ...

57657 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

59688 Giving up server, looking for another!

60407 Server = SERVERPC

62657 Trying TCP/IP host "SERVERPC" port 8002 ...

62657 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

64297 New Client Application: "FSC80" (Id=2264)

65407 Server = SERVERPC

67657 Trying TCP/IP host "SERVERPC" port 8002 ...

67657 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

70407 Server = SERVERPC

72657 Trying TCP/IP host "SERVERPC" port 8002 ...

72657 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

73235 ****** End of session performance summary ******

73235 Total time connected = 0 seconds

73235 Reception maximum: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

73235 Transmission maximum: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

73235 Max receive buffer = 0, Max send depth = 0, Send frames lost = 0

73235 **************** Individual client application activity ****************

73235 Client 2264 requests: 5 (Ave 5/sec), Data: 270 bytes (270/sec), Average 54 bytes/Process

73235 ********* Log file closed (Buffers: MaxUsed 1, Alloc 5 Freed 5 Refused 0) *********

********* WideServer.DLL Log [version 6.71] *********

Blocksize guide = 4096 (double allowed)

Date (dmy): 01/03/07, Time 18:40:09.609: Server name is SERVERPC

65484 Initialising TCP/IP server

65484 Initialising IPX/SPX server

65500 ServerNode=0.0.5888.16433.51861

65500 Initialising UDP/IP server

66078 Broadcasting service every 1000 mSecs

76843 Restarting service due to total lack of use

150203 Closing down now ...

Memory managed: Offset records: 0 alloc, 0 free

Read buffer usage: 0 alloc, 0 free, max in session: 0

Write buffer usage: 0 alloc, 0 free, max in session: 0

Throughput maximum achieved: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

Throughput average achieved for complete session: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

********* Log file closed *********

I am including in case they are important:

WideServer .ini:

[Config]

Port=8002

AdvertiseService=1

AutoRestart=0

AutoUpdateTime=13

MaximumBlock=4096

NoStoppedRestarts=Yes

Port2=9002

RestartTime=10

SendTimeout=15

TCPcoalesce=No

; -----------------------------------------------

[user]

Log=Errors+

; ===============================================

[ClientNames]

1=CLIENTPC

and

WideClient .ini

[Config]

Port=8002

Window=153,269,886,589

Visible=Yes

ButtonScanInterval=20

ClassInstance=0

NetworkTiming=5,1

MailslotTiming=2000,1000

PollInterval=2000

Port2=9002

ResponseTime=18

ApplicationDelay=0

TCPcoalesce=No

WaitForNewData=500

MaxSendQ=100

OnMaxSendQ=Log

NewSendScanTime=50

Priority=3,1,2

; -----------------------------------------------

[user]

Log=Errors+

; ===============================================

I have removed McAfee from the serverpc.

McAfee remains on the clientpc, with WideClient allowed full access.

What about WinXP's firewall? Is that enabled on the Server?

407 Server = SERVERPC

2657 Trying TCP/IP host "SERVERPC" port 8002 ...

2657 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

This is simply saying that Wideclient is not allowed, by Windows, to see "SERVERPC". That PC is simply not visible to it. If the Network is otherwise working, it simply MUST be a firewall. I really cannot see any other alternative explanation.

All the program can do is to try to connect to the Server. If Windows refuses to connect it, then all it can do is tell you what Windows says -- and that is "host not found".

Sorryit MUST be a firewall as I cannot think of anything else it can be. If you are sure it isn't, I can only advise seeking help from a Windows Networking expert -- Try Katy Pluta over on the FS2004 Forum.

Regards

Pete

Hello again Peter

I have been receiving more patient assistance, this time from a Flightsim.com forum member, and he too is flummoxed.

(Following your suggestion I posted a request for help on the FS2004 forum but with no response.)

May I ask you to explain something very basic to me:

When I run WideClient, a log is created on both the client and the server.

Doesn't this imply that the network itself has to be valid, otherwise WideFS on the server wouldn't receive any data?

The firewall issue: WideClient is allowed full access on the client. The server has only the windows firewall running: only once did I get a request from windows firewall to allow WideClient - and that request appeared on the clientpc.

Should that be so?

Later on I allowed sharing for the folder where WideClient is: I then told windows firewall on the server to allow WideClient.

Still no connection.

The network seems to be correct.

WideClient seems to be allowed access both ends.

I have recently got two WideClient logs, minutes apart, with obviously different information: do they tell you anything?

Date (dmy): 04/03/07, Time 10:29:37.484: Client name is CLIENTPC

469 Attempting to connect now

1109 Server = SERVERPC

3375 Trying TCP/IP host "SERVERPC" port 8002 ...

3375 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

6109 Server = SERVERPC

8359 Trying TCP/IP host "SERVERPC" port 8002 ...

8359 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

11109 Server = SERVERPC

13359 Trying TCP/IP host "SERVERPC" port 8002 ...

13359 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

15359 Giving up server, looking for another!

16109 Server = SERVERPC

18359 Trying TCP/IP host "SERVERPC" port 8002 ...

18359 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

21109 Server = SERVERPC

23359 Trying TCP/IP host "SERVERPC" port 8002 ...

23359 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

26109 Server = SERVERPC

28359 Trying TCP/IP host "SERVERPC" port 8002 ...

28359 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

29516 ****** End of session performance summary ******

29516 Total time connected = 0 seconds

29516 Reception maximum: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

29516 Transmission maximum: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

29516 Max receive buffer = 0, Max send depth = 0, Send frames lost = 0

29516 ********* Log file closed (Buffers: MaxUsed 0, Alloc 0 Freed 0 Refused 0) *********

and

Date (dmy): 04/03/07, Time 10:26:53.593: Client name is CLIENTPC

485 Attempting to connect now

1485 Trying to locate server: Need details from Server Broadcast

1485 Failed to connect: waiting to try again

3485 Attempting to connect now

16375 ****** End of session performance summary ******

16375 Total time connected = 0 seconds

16375 Reception maximum: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

16375 Transmission maximum: 0 frames/sec, 0 bytes/sec

16375 Max receive buffer = 0, Max send depth = 0, Send frames lost = 0

16375 ********* Log file closed (Buffers: MaxUsed 0, Alloc 0 Freed 0 Refused 0) *********

If I get nowhere today I am going to reinstall OS and FS on the server and start again. I am frankly sick of this.

Regards

Nicholas

May I ask you to explain something very basic to me:

When I run WideClient, a log is created on both the client and the server.

Doesn't this imply that the network itself has to be valid, otherwise WideFS on the server wouldn't receive any data?

Both WideClient and WideServer create a Log file on their respective PCs so that they can log what is going on. Neither waits for any connection to be made before creating such a file -- otherwise how would they be able to log any errors, as in fact they do in your case?

What makes you think WideFS on the server is receiving anything at all? There's no evidence of that. Since the Client cannot even get the Server name recognised by Windows, it has zero chance of sending anything whatsoever!

The firewall issue: WideClient is allowed full access on the client.

WideClient does not need any access on the Client. It is not being allowed to connect to the Server, so it is permission on the Server which is needed.

The server has only the windows firewall running

Please just try disabling that. I'm sure that must be where the problem lies.

only once did I get a request from windows firewall to allow WideClient - and that request appeared on the clientpc.

Should that be so?

I suppose you have your firewalls set to be very protective. I have never had such a message, but, in any case, it will be the Server stopping WideClient I think.

Later on I allowed sharing for the folder where WideClient is: I then told windows firewall on the server to allow WideClient.

File and folder sharing is absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with WideFS or communication between one TCP/IP program and another. The sharing system is to do with Explorer and file access. There is no cross-Network filesharing needed or used by WideFS.

I have recently got two WideClient logs, minutes apart, with obviously different information: do they tell you anything?

1109 Server = SERVERPC

3375 Trying TCP/IP host "SERVERPC" port 8002 ...

3375 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11001] Host not found

This tells me that Wideclient received a Broadcast from WideServer telling it that WideServer is running on the PC called SERVERPC, and also that Windows will not let WideClient see the PC called "SERVERPC". It seems that it must be a firewall block, as I keep saying.

The second one:

485 Attempting to connect now

1485 Trying to locate server: Need details from Server Broadcast

1485 Failed to connect: waiting to try again

3485 Attempting to connect now

16375 ****** End of session performance summary ******

merely says that no Boadcast was received from WideServer in the 16 seconds you allowed WideClient to run. It looks like, by then, you had stopped FS on the Server, or had it suspended in some way (e.g. in a menu).

If I get nowhere today I am going to reinstall OS and FS on the server and start again. I am frankly sick of this.

I don't blame you, but I do wish you would first just at least try disabling your firewalls. I don't see how it could be down to anything else. If it then works you will at least know that you need to somehow set your firewall options correctly.

I really don't know of anyone else at all who has had such problems, but perhaps no one else has set such fierce protection. I don't know. Sorry. It just seems mighty odd that even after several years of Windows XP and its automatic default protection (at least since SP2), yours is the first firewall problem that appears to be intractable.

Regards

Pete

Removed windows firewall from server.

I don't think that is possible -- it is built into Windows XP and cannot be 'removed'. All you can do is disable it, via the Security Centre.

Before the SP2 update it was defaulted "off" and ad to be enabled to be used, but SP2 changed that and defaulted it on.

Regards

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Peter

I hope you will be pleased to hear that I now have a working network and am successfully running WideFS allowing FS Commander (with more to come) on the client pc.

The problem seems to have been the modem provided by the ISP.

The workaround (other than the 135 Euro 'upgrade' to Wireless they wanted me to buy) was broadband from modem to one pc via Usb, and the two pc's connected by Ethernet cable.

Kind regards.