The simFlight Network Forums

FSX - Wind Smoothing??

Hi Guys,

I heard that FSX has the same wind problems that FS9 had (abrupt wind changes) that are unrealistic. I see that FSUIPC for FSX does not include the wind smoothing option yet to help fix this issue.

Is this something that's being worked on, and if so, how far down the line is it?

Thanks in advance,

John

I heard that FSX has the same wind problems that FS9 had (abrupt wind changes) that are unrealistic.

Has it? If it has then it is a bug. The old 180 degree shifts in FS2004 was a known bug and I seem to remember MS said they'd fixed it. Have you any way of reproducing the problems as I have never seen them? If I can reproduce them I can try to get it fixed for the update expected later this year (the one known as the "DX10 update").

I see that FSUIPC for FSX does not include the wind smoothing option yet to help fix this issue.

There's no facility (yet) to allow direct control of wind, pressure or visibility effects at the aircraft. In FS2004 and before these smoothing options acted on the end results of the weather being imposed, not on the weather itself.

I have had such facilities listed in the requirements for SimConnect, but they did not make it into the "final cut", presumably because MS thought they were of lesser priority with a better working weather system. I am still pressing, of course, because there are other uses for these things apart from bug workarounds.

Is this something that's being worked on, and if so, how far down the line is it?

I will continue pressure on MS for all the facilities currently missing in SimConnect, and if, indeed, there are still bugs in the weather system that you describe I will raise the priority of this particular items. SimConnect is supposed to be a continually evolving interface and I do not want to subvert that effort by hacking directly into FS code in the way I used to with previous releases. The change in the attitude to such intimate manipulations in FS from the MS programmers is good to see and I want to encourage more of it, not less, as it bodes well for the future.

The best bet at present would be to construct a reproducible problem in the winds -- a saved flight with a weather setup which will, when flown a short time, show unwanted abrupt wind changes. Please makes sure these are not intentional -- directional changes (Wind Variability) can be part of the reported METARs, as of course can Gusts (speed changes). If you enable the AutoSave facility (in FSUIPC4), then the one saved just before your observed problems should suffice. Set Autosave to save a little more often than you'd otherwise need.

Regards

Pete

The best bet at present would be to construct a reproducible problem in the winds -- a saved flight with a weather setup which will, when flown a short time, show unwanted abrupt wind changes. Please makes sure these are not intentional -- directional changes (Wind Variability) can be part of the reported METARs, as of course can Gusts (speed changes). If you enable the AutoSave facility (in FSUIPC4), then the one saved just before your observed problems should suffice. Set Autosave to save a little more often than you'd otherwise need.

Regards

Pete

Thanks Peter. I will see what I can find out, and send you a file if it can be reproduced. You do an outstanding job on your products, which I have used for many years. I hope that MS appreciates what you do to fix shortcomings for them! :)

- John

Peter I can assure you this does happen

LAst night flying from YBBN to YSSY the flight restarted severl times beciause of violent wind shist...yes 180 degrees etc.

This made the fligth restart from where the frame stress got the aircraft.

Damned annoying that when you run 2 monitors with undocked panels etc etc..

can yo utell me where I would find the saved files for the flight??

regards

can yo utell me where I would find the saved files for the flight??

In your "My Documents\Flight simulator X Files" folder (suitably translated for non-English versions). A saved flight is made up of three files, types FLT, WX and FSSAVE.

Regards

Pete

doubt this is related , but there seems to be an issue with ASX that brings big stress causing wind shifts about in a rather unrealistic fashion..

Might be due to FSX deficiencies in weather control stillit isn't all there yet. We are hoping for more improvements in the DX10 update later this year. But do report concerns with ASX to HiFi too -- Damian is more of an expert in FSX weather control than I now, it is his speciality.

Regards

Pete