The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC to the rescue for FSX Gear change?

Pete,

Just re-registered this morning as I just moved to FSX and trying to make a go of it.

Having fun getting everything reset and so far I'm doing better than I recall doing with FS9 (as far as dead zones and such). I still have to tackle feathering and the reverser with my CH yoke (just downloaded the one PDF that's a sticky) and expect that to confuse me as it always does. hehe

Anyway, one of the odd surprised of FSX for me has been a change in how they handle the gear. I have CH's typical yoke with the 3 throttles and the two toggle switches. One has always been for flaps and the other for gear. Very convenient. In FS9 pushing the right one up put the gear up. Pushing it down put the gear down.

Now, for some unknown reason, in FSX (unless I'm completely off my rocker which is possible), they changed that so that all action for the gear happens when I push the switch downward. Down is gear down. Down is gear up.

That's just not right in my view. Would there be a way to have FSUIPC step in and have it work like "discreet" commands do on say a high-end TV remote? When I push up, you check the state of the gear. If it's down, put it up. If it's up, ignore it. Do the same in reverse if I push the switch down.

Does that make sense?

Anyway, one of the odd surprised of FSX for me has been a change in how they handle the gear.

There's no such change that I know of. The controls are as they were -- there are Gear toggle, Gear Up and Gear Down controls just as before. The 'G' key is the default assignment for Gear Toggle and that is the one normally assignable in FS assignments.

In FS9 pushing the right one up put the gear up. Pushing it down put the gear down.

It must have been assigned to do Gear Up one way and Gear down the other. I doubt whether that was by default, however, as the separate controls are not usually assignable via the FS settings.

Now, for some unknown reason, in FSX (unless I'm completely off my rocker which is possible), they changed that so that all action for the gear happens when I push the switch downward. Down is gear down. Down is gear up.

That sounds more like how I would expect the default assignment to be.

Would there be a way to have FSUIPC step in and have it work like "discreet" commands do on say a high-end TV remote? When I push up, you check the state of the gear. If it's down, put it up. If it's up, ignore it. Do the same in reverse if I push the switch down.

Just do the assignments yourself. The gear up and down controls are accessible through FSUIPC's buttons and switches page.

Regards

Pete

The controls are as they were -- there are Gear toggle, Gear Up and Gear Down controls just as before. The 'G' key is the default assignment for Gear Toggle and that is the one normally assignable in FS assignments.

I just realized there are two ways that could be read. You could mean that's the way it's always been in FS or in FSUIPC. I took it to mean that you were saying Gear Up and Gear Down have always been there to be assigned in FS. Now I suspect you meant the latter.

Look in Settings and then Controls. Under "G" there is no "Gears" entry. Under "L" there are two entries:

Landing Gear (extend manually) CTRL+G

Landing Gear (extend/retract) G

When I mentioned this on one of the other forums several people posted back that they too were surprised at this "change".

I see no entry for the discreet states.

Could it be that we've all been using FSUIPC for so long doing it the way I wanted that we just came to assume that's the way it was done in FS9?

Regardless, I made the change and I'm once again happy.

You could mean that's the way it's always been in FS or in FSUIPC. I took it to mean that you were saying Gear Up and Gear Down have always been there to be assigned in FS. Now I suspect you meant the latter.

The controls are FS controls. Whether they were actually listed in FS's own assignments I've no idea without loading old versions of FS up and looking. Sorry.

When I mentioned this on one of the other forums several people posted back that they too were surprised at this "change".

How weird. I've honestly not seen any difference here. Maybe it's to do with the "defaults" for the specific joystick connected. There are files which define which buttons, by default, do what when FS detects a specific joystick. Maybe they have changed.

Could it be that we've all been using FSUIPC for so long doing it the way I wanted that we just came to assume that's the way it was done in FS9?

Maybe. Sorry, I don't know how you did it in FS9 or before. Why not load FS9 up and take a look? Equally, if you had made assignments in FSUIPC3 then you'd only need to copy over your old FSUIPC.INI and rename it FSUIPC4.INI to get the same assignments.

Regardless, I made the change and I'm once again happy.

Good.

Regards

Pete

Maybe. Sorry, I don't know how you did it in FS9 or before. Why not load FS9 up and take a look? Equally, if you had made assignments in FSUIPC3 then you'd only need to copy over your old FSUIPC.INI and rename it FSUIPC4.INI to get the same assignments.

Yep, I read that in the manual (hurray! someone read it!) so I knew it was an option. I was never all that thrilled with my last setup so I figured it was time to re-do it all. I think I first setup my stick back in 2004 and I've not paid much attention to other features of the software. I thought this would be a good way to re-acquaint myself with it.

Looking through my old .INI I don't see anything in it relating to Gear Up/Down so I suspect you're right that either they changed the Controls options or just changed the defaults for the CH Products stick. Either way, more information isn't a bad thing here.