The simFlight Network Forums

Problems with calibration of throttle quadrant

Hi there,

I am a registered user of FSUIPC, using it with FSX.

I have downloaded and installed the newest version 4.16 of FSUIPC.

I have encounterd the following problem while using a CH-Products throttle quadrant.

I calibrated the throttles, mixtures and prop pitches in the joystick calibration pages (3, 4 and 5 of 11).

Everything works fine for 2-engine jetaircraft (throttles with reversers, fuel cutoffs) and 2-engine propeller aircraft (Throttles, mixtures, feathering).

To use the quadrant on 4-engine aircraft (B747-400) I check marked the option "Map 1-> 12 2-> 34" for throttle, mixture and pitch --> see enclosed PDF document.

Things work fine for engines 1 + 2 (throttles and fuel cutoff valves), but for engines 3 + 4 only engine 4 works fine (throttle and fuel cutoff valve). Engine 3 and cutoff valve are not responding at all.

Please also see in the enclosed pictures, that on all calibration pages, there are always "zeros" for throttle, mixture and pitch for number 3.

While flying the 747-400 with AP and autothrottles, all engines are adjusted fine.

Can someone please help? Thank you. :-)

post-25626-128689548318_thumb.jpg

post-25626-128689548324_thumb.jpg

post-25626-128689548332_thumb.jpg

Things work fine for engines 1 + 2 (throttles and fuel cutoff valves), but for engines 3 + 4 only engine 4 works fine (throttle and fuel cutoff valve). Engine 3 and cutoff valve are not responding at all.

Please also see in the enclosed pictures, that on all calibration pages, there are always "zeros" for throttle, mixture and pitch for number 3.

Strange. Could you show me the relevant [JoystickCalibration] section of the FSUIPC4.INI files please? You'll find it in the FSX Modules folder.

I'm unable to test this here a present as the video card on my test and development PC has just given up the ghost. I'll do some swapping with another machine as soon as I get time.

Regards

Pete

Thank you for your prompt answer. Enclosed please find the required data. Everything looks OK to me. Hope you can find an answer.

Agreed, looks okay. Maybe I've broken something.

Unfortunately the video card is found to swap for the one which failed doesn't support FSX. I'm popping out first thing Monday morning to get a replacement card which will support FSX, and I'll test this then. Sorry for the delay.

Regards

Pete

Thank you for your prompt answer. Enclosed please find the required data. Everything looks OK to me. Hope you can find an answer.

Agreed, looks okay. Maybe I've broken something.

Unfortunately the video card is found to swap for the one which failed doesn't support FSX. I'm popping out first thing Monday morning to get a replacement card which will support FSX, and I'll test this then. Sorry for the delay.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete

I can confirm this behave, but I thought it is because of Acceleration Beta2 and the "old" FSUIPC where also some other things are broken.

There is also something wrong with the Tiller axis wrong, may be it is also part of this.

Next week I can check something more and will send you what I miss now.

Hi,

If you haven't already done so, go into FS find the Sensitivities and Null Zones dialog. Make sure all 6 Sensitivity sliders are fully to the right and all 6 Null Zone sliders are fully to the left. FS normally sets the 5th axis (of 6) to 0% sensitivity. FS will still respond in the Control Assignments dialog, but then it produces no change in the axis value when you actually try to use it and so the axis is dead in flight as far as FS and FSUIPC are concerned. The Sensitivities and Null Zone dialog normally only shows 3 axes at a time, but there are some scroll bars there that will bring the others into view.

If you've got the Control Manager installed, you may also need to adjust the Detent value. Normally it defaults to 255 at Detent and at Maximum. The result is that there is no analog value change between the detent and the fully-back positions and FSUIPC doesn't have anything to work with. Set the Detent value to 240, that usually works well and gives FSUIPC something to work with. You'll need to recalibrate things again. If you're using the Control Manager in Direct Mode, you can set the values on the "Throttle Settings" tab in the CH Calibration Applet. If you are using it in Mapped Mode, then you have to make the settings at each of the axes in the map itself.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

- Bob

The StickWorks

http://www.stickworks.com

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your inputs.

I am using the Control Manager in Direct Mode, and the values on the "Throttle Settings" tab in the CH Calibration Applet

are:

Min Value = 0

Max Value = 255

Detent Value = 240

Dead Zone = 4

I also re-checked sensitivities and null zones. All 3 Sensitivity sliders are fully to the right and all 3 Null Zone sliders are fully to the left.

Maybe any other clues what could be wrong?

Best regards.

Andy

I am happy to hear from you again as soon as your new video card is in. Have a nice Sunday.

Okay, new video card in and working. I also took the opportunity to double my main memory to 2Gb whilst I had the box open -- makes debugging a lot smoother! ;-)

I found the problem with the mapping to Throttle3 (and Prop and mixture). It was to do with the interception changes I made in 4.16. I didn't notice it because I tend to use Direct Axis assignments in FSUIPC, not assignments in FS or to FS controls in FSUIPC4. It worked okay then because the direct assignment doesn't need any interception from SimConnect in the first place.

Anyway, it was easy to fix, so I've done so and I will be uploading an interim version, 4.162, to the "FSX Downloads" Announcement above as soon as I've compiled and verified the Release build.

Thanks for reporting this.

Oh, Thomas, if you are still following this thread. I tested the Direct assignment for SteeringTiller, and I can't make it fail. Are you by any chance using the undocumented INI assignment of a different axis? Or have you tried using the built-in nose wheel steering axis new to FSX (which I don't actually support in FSUIPC4 in any case)?

Regards

Pete