The simFlight Network Forums

Key Press function..Once in, I can't get out.

I was trying to assign a key stroke to a button on my ch-yoke.

So I go to the FSUIPC Setting Key press tab and then I click the button I want to program. then it tells me to press the key ..I do "Shift+C".

Nothing happens... I now can't get out. I try to hit another tab ..it wouldn't accept. I hit esc ..nope. Nothing. I keep hitting all kinds of buttons and what not... I try selecting some of the open check mark options on that pop up. Nothing.

I have to kill FSX to get out.

I remember I had this issue a while back, I thought this problem went away later..and now is here. Or maybe its always been here. Not sure. and Mind you ..if I leave FSX and this point and go to a Browser or something.. I can't get this assignment pop to appear by changing window context.(Alt-Tab). I have to close all the open windows and I would see a strange looking pop up without any letters on it.. This is assignment popup.

Manny

PS. I have the latest FSX October 23rd 2007 (3 MB) release

So I go to the FSUIPC Setting Key press tab and then I click the button I want to program. then it tells me to press the key ..I do "Shift+C".

Nothing happens... I now can't get out. I try to hit another tab ..it wouldn't accept. I hit esc ..nope. Nothing. I keep hitting all kinds of buttons and what not... I try selecting some of the open check mark options on that pop up. Nothing.

I have to kill FSX to get out.

Sorry, I cannot understand any of that.

Let's take it step by step. You "go to the FSUIPC Setting Key press tab", right? So you have displayed the part where it says "Press set, then the keys you want to program". But then you say "then I click the button I want to program". What? You must press the "Set" button first!

If you do that, the words "PRESS KEY" come up with a white background in the edit box, and when you press "shift+C" it displays "shft+C".

Are you following this? does this happen? When you say "nothing happens", doesn't "shft+C" appear in the edit box for the keypress? Can you help me at all by describing anything in more detail?

sorry, but I have never heard of anything like this before!

I remember I had this issue a while back

Did you report it? I don't remember!

Mind you ..if I leave FSX and this point and go to a Browser or something.. I can't get this assignment pop to appear by changing window context.(Alt-Tab). I have to close all the open windows and I would see a strange looking pop up without any letters on it.. This is assignment popup.

Sorry, but I don't understand any of that last part. Can you describe things slightly more, er, understandably?

Regards

Pete

Sorry Pete.

Lets do this again.

Goal: I want to program a button on the CH Yoke to send Shift+C keystroke...each time I press that button.

1. I goto FSUIPC from the menu and select the tab "Buttons+Switches"

2. I then Click my button. It recognizes that I just clicked on the button.

Its now asking me to select an option "Choose the action for this button": "Select for Key press" or "select for FS control".

But I am unable to select either. Moving the cursor over either of them and left mouse click does nothing. and I can't get out

Manny

In fact, once I click on the "Buttons+Switches" tab, I can't go to another tab. Mind you..I have not clicked on a button or a key.. I simply go tothe "Buttons+Switches" tab and I now try to go to any of the other tabs and it wouldn't let me do that. the only way to get out is to kill FSX.

Goal: I want to program a button on the CH Yoke to send Shift+C keystroke.

Ah! you are programming a button! Your last message mentioned the Key Press tab, for programming key presses!

But I am unable to select either. Moving the cursor over either of them and left mouse click does nothing. and I can't get outIn fact, once I click on the "Buttons+Switches" tab, I can't go to another tab.

In the past this has been 100% due to drivers still installed for joysticks you don't actually have installed. This is especially true for "game port" devices, whose drivers seem to hang when asked to supply readouts for their devices.

In Windows (outside of FS) go to the Control Panel (Start-Settings) and select Game Controllers. Find all of the controllers it thinks are there but which are no longer applicable, and delete them. You may have to go to Add/remove programs and uninstall instead, I'm not really sure.

There's one other possibility, if you've ever used EPIC there may be remnants of an EPIC driver there. You can make FSUIPC bypass that by adding

PollEpicButtons=No

to the main [buttons] section of FSUIPC4.INI (add that section if you haven't already got one).

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete.

Yeah.. I have EPIC USB for my TR-1 avonics and I which keeps showing as a joystick controller in my Flight Sim.

Since I know what the issue is.. I need to play around with this. Thanks for that info

Manny

PS: I added this PollEpicButtons=No to my FSUIPC.ini. That didn't help.

• 2 weeks later...

All right Pete. I got this fixed.

Yes.,..when I go to Flight sim controls I see a USB Joystick showing up there... and I did not have a Joystick connected. But I was worried to remove it since I had so many USB gadgets connected.

Today for some reason I decided to delete my FSX.cfg to start fresh and guess what.. that USB joystick was not in the controls anymore and that fixed the problem

Granma's medication. Delete the fSX.cfg./

:)

Thought I'd come here and find a closure to this thread.

Manny :P :P :P :P :P